The process of being a fan of certain team

The process of being a fan of certain team

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
21 Jan 08

Ok, a question: How do you 'become' fan of certain team?

More important: How do you "switch" from one team to another?

Is it possible?

The issue came to my mind after being several years fan of
Real Madrid. I love the team, no sweat, they were my first contact
with football and I fell in love with "la quinta del buitre", when
Butragueno was doing that gorgeous football I fell in love with.

Years have passed, and I have developed a secret romance with
Atletico de Madrid. I feel troubled. It's like loving Arsenal and Chelski
at the same time, like supporting the Dallas Cowboys and the Packers
alike, like being a fan of Boca Juniors and River Plate simultaneously,
like loving the Lakers and the Celtics, like... of well, you get the point.

I feel troubled 😞

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
21 Jan 08

Originally posted by Seitse

More important: How do you "switch" from one team to another?

Is it possible?

The issue came to my mind after being several years fan of
Real Madrid. I love the team, no sweat, they were my first contact
with football and I fell in love with "la quinta del buitre", when
Butragueno was doin ...[text shortened]... ing the Lakers and the Celtics, like... of well, you get the point.

I feel troubled 😞
Personally, I call myself a Barnet Fan. I went home and away for many years . When they weren't playing I would stand on the North Bank at Highbury. So I say I have a soft spot for Arsenal.

Now I live in Brighton, but although I've been to a few games my heart is not there. Childhood and adolescence is where your team stems from.

Yet from a cricket perpective - I support Sussex. I live near the ground, I never went to county cricket in London but Sussex CC have made the game very accessible. Twenty 20 is a great drink up.

So in summary I believe when you develop a bug for a sport you should go along to your local team and support them.

Part of the reason why I have a low opinion of a lot of Man U fans.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
21 Jan 08

Originally posted by invigorate
Personally, I call myself a Barnet Fan. I went home and away for many years . When they weren't playing I would stand on the North Bank at Highbury. So I say I have a soft spot for Arsenal.

Now I live in Brighton, but although I've been to a few games my heart is not there. Childhood and adolescence is where your team stems from.

Yet from a cricket ...[text shortened]... team and support them.

But under that light I would be supporting HJK and Finnish football simply sucks

😞

I get your point, though. Thanks for the input, mate!

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
21 Jan 08

So in summary I believe when you develop a bug for a sport you should go along to your local team and support them.

And what local team would you have all those lowly Irish United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans support?

Who says that they don't support their local amateur team? Who says that they don't play for their local amateur team?

Because there are no local professional teams, you want the whole of Ireland to be outcast from enjoying the sport at it's very pinnacle? One question... Why?

D

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
21 Jan 08

Originally posted by Ragnorak
And what local team would you have all those lowly Irish United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans support?

Who says that they don't support their local amateur team? Who says that they don't play for their local amateur team?

Because there are no local professional teams, you want the whole of Ireland to be outcast from enjoying the sport at it's very pinnacle? One question... Why?

D
Take it easy, D, it's just an opinion.

Instead, tell me how you became a fan of your team and why, do you think it is possible to "switch" at some point? why? why not?

I have an existential dilemma right here!

sc

where angels play

Moves
21 Jan 08

I used to live on Chester, which is very close to liverpool but also not to far away from Manchester and id say the support in the city is split about 50/50
. I think its pretty obivius im a Liverpool supporter and have been since i can remember but i would always follow chester city even though Liverpool are my main club.
Now i was born in crewe which again is pretty close to both citys so as a child i would follow Crewe Alex, but this changed when i moved to chester in my late teens which is weird, because to even consider switching my support from Liverpool to another team, well it doesnt bear thinking about, but my loyaltys wernt so strong when it came to a lower leagued club.

Only 1 F in Uckfield

Buxted UK

Moves
21 Jan 08

D
I was referring to the Berkshire brigade, rather than overseas support.

AB

Moves
21 Jan 08

Originally posted by Seitse
You get told which team you'll be supporting by your parents! Switching teams at any point in your life is a sin and you should be rejected by both the supporters of the club you wish to switch to and those who you are desserting (esp. if you claim to support both!)

Simple.

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
21 Jan 08

My dad took me to Bramall Lane when I was 4 or 5 years old, and that's when the 'love affair' began.

I have 'soft spots' for Utrecht, Celtic, AC, and Barca.... a passing interest in their results for various reasons...

Any talk of changing allegiance is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
21 Jan 08

ok 😞

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
21 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Angry Boy
You get told which team you'll be supporting by your parents! Switching teams at any point in your life is a sin and you should be rejected by both the supporters of the club you wish to switch to and those who you are desserting (esp. if you claim to support both!)

Simple.
My dad was a United fan, and when I started school, you were either a Liverpool fan (successful at the time) or a United fan (great history). Without knowing much about anything, I chose United, and the fervour has just grown and grown.

Apart from United, I enjoy watching a good game of football, irrespective of who is playing. Unfortunately, there is way too much mediocrity on tv these days. 2 stand out games for me are Germany-Italy (0-0) in the last world cup, where Cannavaro and Zambrotta were sublime, and Peru v Brazil about a month or so ago. I haven't seen a great game in Italy or Spain in a long time.

To be honest, I enjoy watching the football of Arsenal, but would never consider myself a fan, considering their complete lack of sportsmanship and childlike conduct on and off the pitch (I'm thinking harrassment of Ruud after he missed the penalty, throwing of pizzas, Wenger physically attacking Curbishley for celebrating a goal, etc, etc, etc, etc)

Seitse, it's obvious that you cannot be considered a fan of any team, but rather a fan of the sport in it's entirety, which is valid in and of itself.

D

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
21 Jan 08

Yet from a cricket ...[text shortened]... team and support them.

So true.

And then they always excuse themselves like this:

As if they didn't realize that they can enjoy it as neutrals, with the only difference being that they wouldn't have anything to brag about. Because that's what it's all about and why they are plastic from childhood.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
21 Jan 08

Originally posted by Palynka
So true.

And then they always excuse themselves like this:

[b]Because there are no local professional teams, you want the whole of Ireland to be outcast from enjoying the sport at it's very pinnacle? One question... Why?

As if they didn't realize that they can enjoy it as neutrals, with the only difference being that they wouldn't have anything to brag about. Because that's what it's all about and why they are plastic from childhood.[/b]
I wouldn't expect you to understand Palonka, given your limited exposure to professional, good quality football, but watching a game as a neutral and watching a game as a fan are 2 very different things.

D

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
21 Jan 08

I wouldn't expect you to understand Palonka, given your limited exposure to professional, good quality football, but watching a game as a neutral and watching a game as a fan are 2 very different things.

D
There are 3 categories:

- Fan
- Plastic fan
- Neutral

You'll never know how watching a game as a fan feels like.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
21 Jan 08

Originally posted by Palynka
There are 3 categories:

- Fan
- Plastic fan
- Neutral

You'll never know how watching a game as a fan feels like.
Nice flaming. Got anything to actually contribute to the thread, or are you just going to stick to what you do best?

D