1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 02:29
    Originally posted by blade68
    and then I realised that the only Union Jacks that were ever waved, were waved by England fans...
    WRONG!

northern ireland.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 02:45
    Myself and 7 mates recently competed in The WCoB.... this entailed all 8 of us beng allocated 4 national beers/lagers from the competing nations at next years World Cup...

Some were difficult to get hold of - Paraguay, North Korea, Ghana and The Ivory Coast being the worst offenders! One of the lads even rang The Ivorian Embassy in London to see if they c ...[text shortened]... another!
    However, it was an excellent way to spend 7 hours on a Saturday night!!!
    what peruvian beer was it and how the hell did it not get knocked out in the first round? although hrn you have carlsberg getting to the second round questions need to be asked of the quality of the others. surely bolivia's 'bock' should have replaced paraguay? it would have won as well, or at least second. plus why wasn't grolsch the beer of holland? much better than amstel.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 03:05
    I'm pleased we amuse you!

😵
    You know I mean it in the kindest way. I used to teach English as a second language at a language school where I was the only non-Brit. I love the acerbic sense of humor, sparseness of communication, sticking to only syaing what is needed and less blather unlike us Yanks. We'll talk anyone's head off!🙄
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 03:30
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    You know I mean it in the kindest way. I used to teach English as a second language at a language school where I was the only non-Brit. I love the acerbic sense of humor, sparseness of communication, sticking to only syaing what is needed and less blather unlike us Yanks. We'll talk anyone's head off!🙄
    you should go to holland.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 13:50
    Originally posted by trev33
    you should go to holland.
    No thanks! Gotta draw the line somewhere. I like their women, though. Cutest in Europe after Italians, except they drink beer like sailors, talk like Gump and dress like early 80's Madonna!
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 10:23
    what peruvian beer was it and how the hell did it not get knocked out in the first round? although hrn you have carlsberg getting to the second round questions need to be asked of the quality of the others. surely bolivia's 'bock' should have replaced paraguay? it would have won as well, or at least second. plus why wasn't grolsch the beer of holland? much better than amstel.
    Like I said, 8 of us were allocated to obtain 4 beers each... so it was upto the individual which beers he purchased for the competition.
    Actually when Amstel came out of the box, we did ask about Grolsch (although some said that might be German?) The guy who drew Holland said that he'd gone for Amstel as it's the Champions League sponsor!

You could ask questions about 'why not that beer, or why not this beer' - but that's not really in the spirit of what we were doing is it?
    Some of the lesser nations were hard enough to find as it is!
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 12:26
    Like I said, 8 of us were allocated to obtain 4 beers each... so it was upto the individual which beers he purchased for the competition.
    Actually when Amstel came out of the box, we did ask about Grolsch (although some said that might be German?) The guy who drew Holland said that he'd gone for Amstel as it's the Champions League sponsor!

You could ask ...[text shortened]... of what we were doing is it?
    Some of the lesser nations were hard enough to find as it is!
    grolsch is most certainly dutch and probably their best commercial beer...

seriously though what peruvian beer did they pick? pilsen callao is the only one i can think of that i've seen here.
  8. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 13:09
    grolsch is most certainly dutch and probably their best commercial beer...

seriously though what peruvian beer did they pick? pilsen callao is the only one i can think of that i've seen here.
    The Peruvian beer was called Cusquena (brewed by the Inca's apparently?)

🙄
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 13:51
    The Peruvian beer was called Cusquena (brewed by the Inca's apparently?)

🙄
    au yes, i'm pretty sure it's brewed by the same company as pilsen callao. still have no idea how it came forth though. i take it brahma was brazil's beer? how did it do?
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 19:54
    au yes, i'm pretty sure it's brewed by the same company as pilsen callao. still have no idea how it came forth though. i take it brahma was brazil's beer? how did it do?
    Yes Brahma was the entrant for Brazil... I think it fell in the 2nd round...
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 20:29
    Yes Brahma was the entrant for Brazil... I think it fell in the 2nd round...
    Please explain the mechanics, as this idea is very interesting.

How did ye pour the beer so ye didn't know what ye were drinking?
    How did beers compete against each other? Ye hardly opened 4 beers at a time, and decided which one ye liked the most out of them?

D
  12. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 21:27
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Please explain the mechanics, as this idea is very interesting.

How did ye pour the beer so ye didn't know what ye were drinking?
    How did beers compete against each other? Ye hardly opened 4 beers at a time, and decided which one ye liked the most out of them?

D
    The wives and girlfriends were in the kitchen pouring the beers.
    We had 2 glasses of beer at a time in front of us to taste...
    There were 8 of us 'tasting' - we all gave each beer a score out of 10.
    We then voted by a show of hands for beer 'A' or beer 'B'...if it tied at 4-4. we added up individual scores to determine a winner (ala penalty shoot-out!)
    We went to a penalty shoot out 10 times during the cometition!

Round 1: the 1st game from each group (ie: England v USA and Slovenia v Algeria)

Round 2: Winners of match 1 in group v winners of match 2 in group

Q-Final: as per WC

S-Final: as per WC

3rd Place Play Off: as per WC

Final: as per WC

Easy!
  13. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 21:29
    Forgot to mention... the semi-finals onwards were drawn out of a hat, so we had no idea which country was playing which...this added to the excitement and apprehension, as we didn't know who'd won until it was all over!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree