Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 01 Oct '09 12:04
    1.Florida
    2.Texas
    3.Alabama
    4.LSU
    5.Boise St.

    Agree or disagree with any of these teams being ranked this high?
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    01 Oct '09 12:32
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    1.Florida
    2.Texas
    3.Alabama
    4.LSU
    5.Boise St.

    Agree or disagree with any of these teams being ranked this high?
    Alabama on the merits should probably be rated #1 but I don't have much problem with that top five. It's still very early.
  3. 01 Oct '09 12:57
    I agree with no1. Alabama has played the best schedule of the 5 they should be number 1. But since they play LSU and the winner of that game could play Florida in the SEC championship game I think the system could easily work itself out.
  4. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    01 Oct '09 15:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    1.Florida
    2.Texas
    3.Alabama
    4.LSU
    5.Boise St.

    Agree or disagree with any of these teams being ranked this high?
    Everyone is churning about who has played, or will play, tough schedules, yet Boise State, who played one game and has a pie walk the rest of the way is a terrible choice for top 5 because I believe they would get beaten easily by USC, Va Tech, Oklahoma (even without Bradford), probably Penn State too. I am not buying in on Boise State again.
  5. 01 Oct '09 20:43
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Everyone is churning about who has played, or will play, tough schedules, yet Boise State, who played one game and has a pie walk the rest of the way is a terrible choice for top 5 because I believe they would get beaten easily by USC, Va Tech, Oklahoma (even without Bradford), probably Penn State too. I am not buying in on Boise State again.
    Boise St has been a top level program for some time now. It's about time they got some real respect.

    Unfortunately, no one ever really knows how good they are because they're in a lousy conference. They did beat Oregon (currently #16 in AP top 25).

    But it looks like they're in good shape to make a run at the championship -- they have to win all their games (as usual), and hope the teams in front of them lose one. I'm bored with the champions being the usual Florida, Oklahoma, Ohio St, USC, Texas yadda yadda yadda - time for something new and different.

    Besides, they have the most obnoxious field color in all of sports. Which would go perfectly with all of the NCAA's obnoxious excuses for not having a playoff system.
  6. 01 Oct '09 21:05
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Everyone is churning about who has played, or will play, tough schedules, yet Boise State, who played one game and has a pie walk the rest of the way is a terrible choice for top 5 because I believe they would get beaten easily by USC, Va Tech, Oklahoma (even without Bradford), probably Penn State too. I am not buying in on Boise State again.
    By the end of the year I imagine I will not be nearly impressed by what they accomplish but right now Boise went on the road and beat a team that even with the loss is a top 20 team. I would certainly rank them ahead of teams like Texas who make sure that they play no one out of conference.
  7. 01 Oct '09 21:47 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by quackquack
    By the end of the year I imagine I will not be nearly impressed by what they accomplish but right now Boise went on the road and beat a team that even with the loss is a top 20 team. I would certainly rank them ahead of teams like Texas who make sure that they play no one out of conference.
    The current system greatly rewards the team that can get through the entire season without losing any games. If you're in a major conference and then add one or two tough teams out of conference, you're much less likely to go undefeated.

    Meanwhile, further down the food chain, you've got a lot of teams wanting to make sure they win their 6 games to be bowl eligible, so they usually have a game or two (or more) against Nowheresville St that usually end up 54-0 at halftime -- although it was fun that time when Michigan lost to Appalachian St.

    So good out of conference match-ups are rare.
  8. 02 Oct '09 05:49
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    1.Florida
    2.Texas
    3.Alabama
    4.LSU
    5.Boise St.

    Agree or disagree with any of these teams being ranked this high?
    I don't think Boise St. is a #5 team. Are they top 8 or 10? Perhaps.

    I don't think LSU is a #4 team. Are they top 8 or 10? Yes, probably so.

    But as has been said, it's still early. We'll just have to see what shakes out.
  9. 02 Oct '09 20:46
    When you say LSU does not belong at #4, are you predicting that they will lose in the future or are you saying that they have not accomplished enough yet. I'd argue that we should try as much as possible to not be in the predictive business, but should look at what has occurred.
  10. 03 Oct '09 04:19
    Since I don't vote in any polls it don't matter for squat whether I'm "in the prediction business" or not. The question posed was whether I agreed, and I answered.
  11. 04 Oct '09 02:43
    Well LSU had a good win this week. It is hard not to think they are a top 5 team at the moment
  12. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    04 Oct '09 02:52
    Originally posted by quackquack
    By the end of the year I imagine I will not be nearly impressed by what they accomplish but right now Boise went on the road and beat a team that even with the loss is a top 20 team. I would certainly rank them ahead of teams like Texas who make sure that they play no one out of conference.
    If you had a brain, you would take it out and play with it. Get a grip (and I don't mean inside your pants).
  13. 05 Oct '09 20:32
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    If you had a brain, you would take it out and play with it. Get a grip (and I don't mean inside your pants).
    Try to address the point that Texas has played absolutely no one.
    You can't so you resort to the only things you are able to do
    (1) call it East Coast bias
    (2) complain about last year
    (3) make fun of others.
  14. 07 Oct '09 02:47
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Try to address the point that Texas has played absolutely no one.
    You can't so you resort to the only things you are able to do
    (1) call it East Coast bias
    (2) complain about last year
    (3) make fun of others.
    I am from Texas, love UT and all, but have to agree. As of yet they've played no one. We'll have to wait and see but the rest of their schedule is soft. OU looked better until Miami exposed them. Bama and LSU hvae more quality wins. Can't wait for LSU-Florida this weekend! Fli side of all this is USC climbing back into top ten. Have beaten only ne quality team and lost miserably to a medicore team playing inspired ball. TCU, Cinci and Iowa are better. Boise St. has as soft a schedule as Texas. TCU's is tougher. Hence should be ranked higher.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 Oct '09 12:50
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I am from Texas, love UT and all, but have to agree. As of yet they've played no one. We'll have to wait and see but the rest of their schedule is soft. OU looked better until Miami exposed them. Bama and LSU hvae more quality wins. Can't wait for LSU-Florida this weekend! Fli side of all this is USC climbing back into top ten. Have beaten only ne quali ...[text shortened]... Boise St. has as soft a schedule as Texas. TCU's is tougher. Hence should be ranked higher.
    As of today, Boise State has a victory over the #13 ranked team in the nation, while TCU hasn't even beaten a team with a winning record. I fail to see why TCU should be rated higher than Boise now; their future schedule is tougher, true, but for all we know they might lose a bunch of those games.