1. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 19:10
    Originally posted by PureRWandB
    Anybody watch this?
    I watched it on NYE. Pretty good fights. I just wish the Liddell/Ortiz (sp?) match had lasted longer.
  2. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 04:40
    I agree. Chuck has better stand up but Ortiz has better ground game and way better cardio. He wasn't knocked senseless this time. The ref should have let them fight longer. Round one was sketchy for Ortiz though. I am sure Chuck will fight Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. I want to watch that fight.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    07 Jan '07 07:111 edit
    I agree. Chuck has better stand up but Ortiz has better ground game and way better cardio. He wasn't knocked senseless this time. The ref should have let them fight longer. Round one was sketchy for Ortiz though. I am sure Chuck will fight Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. I want to watch that fight.
    Liddell will get KTFO by Rampage unless he steps up his training. Liddell will still struggle against Jackson even if he does train harder.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 13:59
    Anyone watch this on spike last night? I caught the last fight.

Dude got HUGE kick to the head, and knocked out on way down.
    Bangs head on ground.
    Guy gets 2 more punches in on him while he's on the ground (head bouncing!)

Now... Is dude dead?

P-
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 14:192 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Anyone watch this on spike last night? I caught the last fight.

Dude got HUGE kick to the head, and knocked out on way down.
    Bangs head on ground.
    Guy gets 2 more punches in on him while he's on the ground (head bouncing!)

Now... Is dude dead?

P-
    That was Sean Salmon getting kicked by Rashad Evans. Interestingly they were both collegiate wrestlers. Salmon was a Buckeye and Rashad was a Spartan.

Rashad could be pretty exciting. He entered the UFC on their reality show "The Ultimate Fighter." He was thought to be an underdog, but his athleticism and excellent wrestling carried him to victory as a heavyweight. He has now dropped to LHW and is trying to develop his striking and submissions. The big criticism of Rashad has been that he "lays and prays" (LnP) meaning that he often wins by outwrestling his opponent to the ground and controlling them until the round ends. Do that for three rounds and you win a decision. Wrestlers are notorious for this strategy, and it is horribly boring.

So the knock on Evans was that he could rarely finish a fight. Last night though he got a win with his feet which is very unusual for him. I hope it is a sign of good things to come because if he develops himself he has the talent to be a contender in the division.

And to answer your question: if "Big" John McCarthy (BJM) had waited 20 secs or so to stop the fight, then yes. Fortunately, the refs in the UFC err on the side of safety when stopping fights.

Edit: BTW Sean Salmon was released from the hospital today.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 14:43
    Originally posted by telerion
    That was Sean Salmon getting kicked by Rashad Evans. Interestingly they were both collegiate wrestlers. Salmon was a Buckeye and Rashad was a Spartan.

Rashad could be pretty exciting. He entered the UFC on their reality show "The Ultimate Fighter." He was thought to be an underdog, but his athleticism and excellent wrestling carried him to victory ...[text shortened]... hen yes. Fortunately, the refs in the UFC err on the side of safety when stopping fights.
    Salmon was doing rather well that first round, too bad he couldn't finish.

Salmon did what he said he could at first... "If I want to take you down, I'll take you down".

Has anyone ever been hurt in that sport? 😉

P-
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 14:52
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Salmon was doing rather well that first round, too bad he couldn't finish.

Salmon did what he said he could at first... "If I want to take you down, I'll take you down".

Has anyone ever been hurt in that sport? 😉

P-
    Depends upon what you mean by hurt.

Some guys hold out on tapping until it's too late and their arm is broke (though the vast majority are too smart for that). There's the usual dangers faced in preparing for the fight (they go hard and you can pull, tear, strain, break something).

I can't think of anyone off hand that has ever been permanently disabled in the UFC. Nobody has been killed.

This stands in stark contrast to a sport like boxing where there are a lot more blows to the head and a downed, semi-conscious contestant is permitted a standing 8-count. The woozey fighter then goes out and takes more head shots. Over time this can lead to brain damage (we've all heard veteran pro-boxers that have trouble talking).

In the UFC (and MMA in general), fighters rarely stand toe to toe and slug each other in the head all night. Headhunting opens you up for a takedown. Because fighters have to guard against this, there is a lot less brutal head pounding. Moreover, when a fighter goes down and is in a semi-concious state, he only has moments to show that he can recover and defend himself. The second it looks like he is truly helpless the ref jumps in and stops the fight. This holds true as well for when a fighter gets a dominant position on the ground and strikes his opponent in such a way to make it clear that his opponent cannot defend himself.
  8. Joined
    03 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 22:121 edit
    Liddell will get KTFO by Rampage unless he steps up his training. Liddell will still struggle against Jackson even if he does train harder.
    its pretty ignorant to say that liddel does not train hard.H'es a very had working champion.Rampage on the other hand has slowly but surely declined while liddel has improved by leaps and bounds.
    Liddel by ko in the third
  9. Joined
    03 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 22:15
    and what if the fight were aloud to continue liddel won all three round in the fight and no way could tito ko him at that point more than likely it would have gone to chuck
  10. Standard memberdeathbypawn
    Pancake Gobbler
    Great Pancake Heist
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 04:41
    so do travis lutter and matt serra have any chance to beat anderson silva and george st. pierre. In my opinion the champs will win overwhelmingly...I am really looking forward to seeing quentin rampage jackson fight as well as mirco crocop.

Any MMA fans out there who do you think will win?
  11. Standard memberdeathbypawn
    Pancake Gobbler
    Great Pancake Heist
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 04:42
    for some reason matt serra vs george st pierre has been moved all the way to ufc 69...i just looked on the web site can you believe randy couture is fighting tim silvia for the belt oh my god ufc 68 will be the best card ever...rich franklin is fighting matt hughes is fighting and randy couture vs sivia are kidding me....for travis lutter vs anderson silva silva has nasty striking but lutter is better on the ground so if lutter stands toe to toe silva will dominate but if lutter can get silva to the ground who knows.

Quintion rampage jackson is one of 3 men to beat chuck liddell so i am excited about him and mirko cro cop is the best heavy weight in the world...can you imagine randy couture beating silvia and then defending against cro cop wow I cant wait
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 13:50
    Originally posted by maverick28
    its pretty ignorant to say that liddel does not train hard.H'es a very had working champion.Rampage on the other hand has slowly but surely declined while liddel has improved by leaps and bounds.
    Liddel by ko in the third
    I was commenting on Chuck's appearing a bit out of shape in his last fight against Tito. He certainly looked beatable for a while there.

That said, Rampage is definitely the underdog in a match up with Liddel. It's just going to be nice to have a LHW in the UFC that actually has a decent shot at taking the belt.
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 13:591 edit
    Originally posted by deathbypawn
    so do travis lutter and matt serra have any chance to beat anderson silva and george st. pierre. In my opinion the champs will win overwhelmingly...I am really looking forward to seeing quentin rampage jackson fight as well as mirco crocop.

Any MMA fans out there who do you think will win?
    I think Lutter has a very good chance (much much more than Serra against GSP) against Silva because Travis is not the best match up for the him. Travis is decent all around but especially strong in grappling/submissions, while Silva is known primarily of course for his wicked striking. Silva does have a black belt in BJJ so it shouldn't be a cakewalk for Lutter even if the takedowns are there for him.

I'd say we'll know pretty quickly how the fight will likely go after the first round. If the Silva is able to defend the takedown, I'd say he'll win in short time by KO. If Lutter is able to get inside fairly easily and take Silva to the mat, then it depends on how sharp Silva's BJJ is looking. If it is sharp, then I expect a good match where Silva tries to get to the feet for a KO, and Lutter tries to keep control on the ground for a decision. Fiinally, if Lutter looks completely dominant in the submission game, then I'd have to give it to Lutter.
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 14:07

and mirko cro cop is the best heavy weight in the world...can you imagine randy couture beating silvia and then defending against cro cop wow I cant wait

Previous points were all very good, but don't let the UFC promo's fool you. Fedor Emelianenko is the best HW in the world. Mirko is probably second.

As much as I can't stand Tim Sylvia, I'm a bit worried about Randy beating him. I'm pretty certain Mirko will assassinate either one of them, and if a head is going to fly into the 938430th row, I hope it is Tim's and not Randy's.
  15. Standard memberdeathbypawn
    Pancake Gobbler
    Great Pancake Heist
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 15:26
    [b]
    and mirko cro cop is the best heavy weight in the world...can you imagine randy couture beating silvia and then defending against cro cop wow I cant wait

Previous points were all very good, but don't let the UFC promo's fool you. Fedor Emelianenko is the best HW in the world. Mirko is probably second.
    ...[text shortened]... and if a head is going to fly into the 938430th row, I hope it is Tim's and not Randy's.[/b]
    the cro cop emelianko fight was one of the best i have ever seen...i still think cro cop is the better striker of the two and will be the only k-1 level striker in the ufc...there have been talks of liddell vacating his light heavyweight belt in order to move up to heavy weight for a possible show down with cro cop...no contest cro cop would dominate

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree