1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 15:59
    Dempsey puts the ball in the net? No goal

Dempsey gets elbowed and bloodied in the box by a guy playing with a yellow? No foul

Still the US finds a way.

Better luck next time, refs.

Oh, and suck it, haters. 😉
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 16:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    Dempsey puts the ball in the net? No goal

Dempsey gets elbowed and bloodied in the box by a guy playing with a yellow? No foul

Still the US finds a way.

Better luck next time, refs.

Oh, and suck it, haters. 😉
    What an exciting finish! I guess you have to make your own luck.
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 16:04
    obviously, the fix was on, what a scandal this will be.

but even crooked refs couldn't keep the best team from winning the group
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 16:17
    Dempsey was offside... 😕
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 16:27
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Dempsey was offside... 😕
    he was sort of close to being off side, if that guy hadn't been there behind him he would have been for sure
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 18:32
    Dempsey was offside... 😕
    the broadcast I was watching drew a line that showed that Dempsey was clearly even with the defender at the moment the ball was being struck.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 21:08
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    the broadcast I was watching drew a line that showed that Dempsey was clearly even with the defender at the moment the ball was being struck.
    YouTube

Offside seen by his knee ahead of the line. Note that the arms do not count, so the Algerian defender's closest part to the goal line is his foot.

But we're really splitting hairs here, aren't we?
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 21:11
    it was a 50/50 call.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:381 edit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb0YeJpPZxE

Offside seen by his knee ahead of the line. Note that the arms do not count, so the Algerian defender's closest part to the goal line is his foot.

But we're really splitting hairs here, aren't we?
    If it's the referee's job to control the outcome of the game then, yes, it makes sense to split hairs in determining whether he was offsides (which he was not, but I digress).

If the goal is to let the players play the game, then you don't blow the whistle and nullify a goal (that most elusive phenomenon in this sport) unless you have a damn good reason to do so. You don't call off a perfectly good goal unless you're sure.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:49
    If it's the referee's job to control the outcome of the game then, yes, it makes sense to split hairs in determining whether he was offsides (which he was not, but I digress).

If the goal is to let the players play the game, then you don't blow the whistle and nullify a goal (that most elusive phenomenon in this sport) unless you have a damn good reason to do so. You don't call off a perfectly good goal unless you're sure.
    The problem with making an offside call is that an onside player can seem to be way offside because he gets a great jump on his defender after the ball has been hit. I'd be very surprised if the refs don't make mistakes very often on these types of calls.

That's what happened on the Dempsey play. When I saw it live, I thought for sure that he was CLEARLY offside -- but the video showed that when the ball was hit, Dempsey was indeed even with the defender (at least even enough for it to be a 50-50 call).
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 22:53

Rules are rules. If it disqualifies a goal then it's the player's fault for committing the infraction and not the fault of the ref for calling it.

Calls do sometimes end up deciding the result of a match but that shouldn't prevent the ref from calling the foul.
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 01:26
    Dempsey was offside... 😕
    That was not offside at all. Replay it slo-mo and freeze frame it. No way it was offside.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 01:29

The rule states offense should get the benefit of the doubt. Why is this never applied? Dempsey was not offside, but should have gotten benefit of the doubt.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 04:00
    I would say USA 1 Refs 1.

The refs did change the outcome of one of the US's games.
  15. Auckland
    Moves
    24 Jun '10 10:23
    New Zealand knows how you feel USA

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree