1. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 08:03
    Are there some sports that the USA just shouldn't be allowed to compete in?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 08:05
    Nuclear war?
  3. Joined
    12 Jun '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 08:16
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Nuclear war?
    Just as I was looking forward to USA vs North Korea on pay per view. Mike Tyson was going to be the special guest referee.
  4. 6yd box
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 13:41
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    Just as I was looking forward to USA vs North Korea on pay per view. Mike Tyson was going to be the special guest referee.
    why do the USA have to mess up every sporting occation with celebraty refs and performers?

remember Diana Ross taking the penealty at the start of the World Cup in the USA😵😵😵
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 15:39
    Originally posted by spurs73
    why do the USA have to mess up every sporting occation with celebraty refs and performers?

remember Diana Ross taking the penealty at the start of the World Cup in the USA😵😵😵
    I stumbled on a game of base ball for the first ever time on sky tv , out of curiousity i watched it for about ten minutes . What a waste of ten minutes !! it must be the most boring sport i have had the misfortune to watch , no wonder you yanks are turning to football ( soccer ) 😴😴
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 17:04
    Originally posted by phil3000
    I stumbled on a game of base ball for the first ever time on sky tv , out of curiousity i watched it for about ten minutes . What a waste of ten minutes !! it must be the most boring sport i have had the misfortune to watch , no wonder you yanks are turning to football ( soccer ) 😴😴
    it was a braves game wasn't it?

wait there's no braves fans here, that won't do.

it was a blue jays game wasn't it?
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '09 17:05
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    i'm looking forward to that game at next years world cup.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 20:28
    I force myself to watch the World Cup sometimes, especially when the US is playing well and when it was in the US. My God, can anything be more boring than those 0-0 draws? You can go 20 minutes without either side getting a sniff of a scoring chance. Sheesh! I've seen grass growing that's more exciting. at least in baseball people score every once in a while.

I watched the World Cup final last time. Zero-freaking-Zero. Was that exciting? About the only thing that was interesting was when that Zidonne character elbowed the guy in the face. Not that that had any impact on the game or anything... Gee, I have an idea, let's settle the 7th game of the NBA finals with a free throw shooting contest...

Americans are not turning to soccer. To play? Sure? For kids to play? You bet. As an alternative to baseball football, basketball or even hockey? Not a chance. Aside from the big 4, the following are more cared about by the average American sports fan than professional soccer

Tennis
    Golf
    Bowling
    Poker
    Arena football
    Tour de France, if Lance Armstrong is riding
    Bass Fishing
    Car racing
    Lacrosse

Well, okay, maybe not bass fishing... maybe replace it with trout fishing.
  9. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 21:12
    Originally posted by sh76
    I force myself to watch the World Cup sometimes, especially when the US is playing well and when it was in the US. My God, can anything be more boring than those 0-0 draws? You can go 20 minutes without either side getting a sniff of a scoring chance. Sheesh! I've seen grass growing that's more exciting. at least in baseball people score every once in a while. ...[text shortened]... acing
    Lacrosse

I understand it must be tough, particularly for the Generation X and its short attention span, not be kept entertained with continuous aaahhhs and oooohhs.

Would it make any difference if at the minute 30 of the second half the game stops and all the stadium would be forced to stand up and dance the macarena?

I'll phone Sep Blatter.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 21:21
    I understand it must be tough, particularly for the Generation X and its short attention span, not be kept entertained with continuous aaahhhs and oooohhs.

Would it make any difference if at the minute 30 of the second half the game stops and all the stadium would be forced to stand up and dance the macarena?

I'll phone Sep Blatter.
    It might help. Would make that call for me? 🙂

I don't watch sports to test my attention span. I watch sports to be entertained. If I wanted to test my attention span, I'd read the Wall Street Journal or maybe the Internal Revenue Code.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 21:22

I'll phone Sep Blatter.
    There has to be some mid-point on the scale between 'continuous' aaahs and 'none'.

Soccer, as it stands, favors the defense too much.
  12. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 21:262 edits
    It might help. Would make that call for me? 🙂

I don't watch sports to test my attention span. I watch sports to be entertained. If I wanted to test my attention span, I'd read the Wall Street Journal or maybe the Internal Revenue Code.
    Sure thing! 🙂

Now, seriously, it is my opinion that watching a particular sport is, just like beer and its different types: an acquired taste. Indeed it is great to see amazing plays, goals and dribbles, but also, for those of us who have been watching football ever since we were kids, it is very interesting to see good systems being deployed and a tough defense doing its job. Of course, as in every sport, there are games that suck.

Maybe it is the same for bowling, archery, darts, diving, etc.?
  13. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 04:19
    well, baseball is a thinking man's game, maybe why you don't like it??

but in all seriousness, i'm the odd american who actually enjoys soccer, even scoreless draws.
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 06:17
    what do you think of cricket?
  15. Joined
    19 Feb '07
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 19:15
    I force myself to watch the World Cup sometimes, especially when the US is playing well and when it was in the US. My God, can anything be more boring than those 0-0 draws? You can go 20 minutes without either side getting a sniff of a scoring chance. Sheesh! I've seen grass growing that's more exciting. at least in baseball people score every once in a while. ...[text shortened]... acing
    Lacrosse

Actually, even watching poker is hugely more popular than soccer in the US.

As for cricket, when they're too loud I can't sleep at night.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree