USA and sports

USA and sports

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
14 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Seitse
I understand it must be tough, particularly for the Generation X and its short attention span, not be kept entertained with continuous aaahhhs and oooohhs.

Would it make any difference if at the minute 30 of the second half the game stops and all the stadium would be forced to stand up and dance the macarena?

I'll phone Sep Blatter.
and yet the "boring" game of baseball is one of America's most popular sports. 😀

One of the reasons I like baseball is the slow pace and the natural pauses. Gives the announcers time to discuss all the strategies and statistics, do interviews, and tell lots of stories. In most other sports, 95% of the time is taken up with play-by-play, leaving little time for anything else.

It would be as if you could stop a soccer game every 30 seconds or so and analyze everything that just happened and show lots of replays.

DS

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes

It would be as if you could stop a soccer game every 30 seconds or so and analyze everything that just happened and show lots of replays.
Yep - that would be one way of making "football" as boring as baseball. 😕

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Yep - that would be one way of making "football" as boring as baseball. 😕
😀😀😀

J

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by sh76

In soccer, most of what happens on the field is meaningless in terms of the outcome of the game. Therein lies the major distinction.
You don't have a clue what your talking about!

Your wrong because in real football somethings always happening. Just because someone doesn't score doesn't mean that the oppertunity to score wasn't exciting!

With football theirs so much at stake as one goal could be all that's needed to win. What makes football the most popular sport in the world is the fact that quite often a weaker team will beat a far better team...these surprise results happen more in football then pretty much any other sport!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
16 Jul 09

Originally posted by Jamesqt
You don't have a clue what your talking about!

Your wrong because in real football somethings always happening. Just because someone doesn't score doesn't mean that the oppertunity to score wasn't exciting!

With football theirs so much at stake as one goal could be all that's needed to win. What makes football the most popular sport in the world is the ...[text shortened]... ter team...these surprise results happen more in football then pretty much any other sport!
Yes! It's like watching grass grow. The miracle of life! That's the thing about nature. Something is always happening on an atomic level!!

And great point about upsets. To hell with superior talent and superior preparation! Better to have a sport where you feel like any random group of 11 chuckleheads could go out there and win.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
17 Jul 09

Originally posted by MoneyManMike
what do you think of cricket?
The greatest Cricketeer of all time, Don Bradman, had this to say about baseball:

"Cricket could learn alot from Baseball. Baseball has more snap and dash than cricket."

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
17 Jul 09

Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
Nothing is more boring than soccer!
Soccer is a tremendously exciting game.

p

Moves
17 Jul 09

Originally posted by Red Night
The greatest Cricketeer of all time, Don Bradman, had this to say about baseball:

"Cricket could learn alot from Baseball. Baseball has more snap and dash than cricket."
Football is played all over the world as is cricket and rugby , who plays base ball and american football? i think the answer to that tells you how boring those two sports are !!!....

DS

Moves
17 Jul 09
2 edits

Originally posted by phil3000
Football is played all over the world as is cricket and rugby , who plays base ball and american football? i think the answer to that tells you how boring those two sports are !!!....
The local girls school here plays rounders - that's pretty much the same as baseball isn't it. They don't wear padding and helmets though, unlike those pansies. 😏

KZ

Moves
17 Jul 09

Ice hockey without a doubt most intresting game. Every player having the ability to move quicker than than Olympic sprinter. Finesse,contact, teamwork. Puck travelling as fast as a steroid induced Clemens fastball. I enjoy watching soccer but the diving drives me nuts.

q

Moves
18 Jul 09

The local girls school here plays rounders - that's pretty much the same as baseball isn't it. They don't wear padding and helmets though, unlike those pansies. 😏
I have no idea what rounders is, but i do know that in the United States soccer is a girls game

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
19 Jul 09

Originally posted by phil3000
do they teach you this myth about cricket being a world game in all english schools or just the public ones?

P
Banned from edits

Grammar dyslexic

Moves
19 Jul 09

Originally posted by Zort Boy
Are there some sports that the USA just shouldn't be allowed to compete in?
If I had a rubber hose...

DS

Moves
19 Jul 09

Originally posted by quackquack
....but i do know that in the United States soccer is a girls game
Well yes, the way y'all play it you're prolly right. 😛

q

Moves
19 Jul 09
1 edit

Well yes, the way y'all play it you're prolly right. 😛
It is just a matter of having your best athletes play the sport. In the United States our best male athletes play basketball, football or baseball. Our best female athletes play soccer and we have a top notch female soccer team. In Canada people like hockey and they produce great hockey players. It is not surprising.