1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 03:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Like I said before, I simply got it wrong. As I said, I even had the Taiwan flag on the PC screen as I was totting up the medals and still failed to notice. My point about the last thirty years stands though. I'm not sure what else to say to you.
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 05:21
    not sure if you read the posts or what, but my comment was made as a retort about GB
    winning more medals per capita than the other countries. I merely pointed out that
    Jamaica's performance was better than GB.

Also, I am not surprised that the UK media would argue that GB's medal finish was
    better than it really was.
  3. Joined
    08 Dec '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 06:55
    Population is still irrelevant. The number of Olympians per capita for each country do not matchup. Jamaica sent 50 Olympians and they have population of 2.8 million. The USA sent 539 Olympians and has a population of 314 million. Jamaica sent more Olympians per capita.

You have 0.24 medals for every Jamaican Olympian. You have 104/539 ≈ .193 medals for every US Olympian.

If you look at the number of medals based on number of sports entered: USA participated in 25 sports and gained 104 medals (104/25=4.16 medals per sport). Jamaica participated in 4 sports (athletics, equestrian, swimming and taekwondo) and gained 12 (12/4 =3 medals per sport).
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 11:35
    Originally posted by damionhonegan
    Population is still irrelevant. The number of Olympians per capita for each country do not matchup. Jamaica sent 50 Olympians and they have population of 2.8 million. The USA sent 539 Olympians and has a population of 314 million. Jamaica sent more Olympians per capita.

You have 0.24 medals for every Jamaican Olympian. You have 104/539 ≈ ...[text shortened]... sports (athletics, equestrian, swimming and taekwondo) and gained 12 (12/4 =3 medals per sport).
    I agree it is irrelevant. I never said it was. I merely stated as a response to those who
    were advancing the notion that GB had a better Olympics per capita. I said Jamaica
    outperformed GB on that basis.

Secondarily, the quantity of Olympians is irrelevant as well in the argument, because we
    were speaking of medals won versus the population, not medals won per Olympic contestant.
  5. Wat?
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 13:02
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/interactive/2012/aug/07/olympics-2012-alternative-medal-table-visualised

Can be viewed by population, GDP and team size.

-m.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 13:38
    Originally posted by mikelom
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/datablog/interactive/2012/aug/07/olympics-2012-alternative-medal-table-visualised

Can be viewed by population, GDP and team size.

-m.
    Thanks Mike.

This proves my point regarding Jamaica.

TYVM
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 18:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 18:58

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '12 21:47
    Not sure why you keep addressing me. Tim88 said "america and china have always dominated the medal tally"; I pointed out this was not so; I mixed up
    China and Taiwan in my comments on pre-1984 games; I have admitted this. My point about China not "always" dominating the Olympics, as tim88
    seems to think they have, still stands. Is it that you think "america and china have always dominated the medal tally"? No, I assume. Is there some
    disagreement here that I am unaware of?
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '12 00:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    46 gold to China's 38 and 104 medals to 87. Impressive showing by the US.

The other big winner is host Great Britain with the 3rd most golds at 29 and the 4th most medals at 65.

Biggest disappointment has to be Australia with only seven gold medals, only one of which came in the pool where Australia was once thought to be a threat to the US for swimming supremacy.
    It was a great Olympics for us and emminently watcheable! I enjoyed the USA-Canada soccer semifinal immensely!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree