Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    21 Jun '09 20:25
    Team USA advances to the final four in the Confed Cup.

    Wooo-Hoooo!

    I think we can take Spain and set up a re-match the Brazilians.

    Is it time to finally admit the obvious truth that Landon Donovan is one of the best mid-fielders in the world?
  2. 21 Jun '09 20:40
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Team USA advances to the final four in the Confed Cup.

    Wooo-Hoooo!

    I think we can take Spain and set up a re-match the Brazilians.

    Is it time to finally admit the obvious truth that Landon Donovan is one of the best mid-fielders in the world?
    Landon Donovan isn't bad, but he's FAAAAAR away from being one of the best in the world.

    And as for y'all beating Spain... snowball's chance in hell.

    I just shocked that Italy didn't go through; what a bizarre set of circumstances at the end of the games in group B.
  3. 21 Jun '09 22:18
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Landon Donovan isn't bad, but he's FAAAAAR away from being one of the best in the world.

    And as for y'all beating Spain... snowball's chance in hell.

    I just shocked that Italy didn't go through; what a bizarre set of circumstances at the end of the games in group B.
    Unfortunatley I agree.
  4. 21 Jun '09 22:34 / 1 edit
    Sorry Red Night I cannot agree that Landon Don.............is anywere near ( good enough to feed my neighbours remaining three chicken's, although he is welcome to pressure wash my coal bunker, providing it's every forth thursday ) .....let alone be considered world anything. I surmise American's will be flooding the 'streets' in adulation on such a momentious acheivement, second only to Obama swatting the ghastly fly of Iran.
  5. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    21 Jun '09 23:01
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Landon Donovan isn't bad, but he's FAAAAAR away from being one of the best in the world.

    And as for y'all beating Spain... snowball's chance in hell.

    I just shocked that Italy didn't go through; what a bizarre set of circumstances at the end of the games in group B.
    The ending was shocking. It went from being impossible to improbable to unbelieveable.

    If we lose to spain we get RSA in the consolation game. I wouldn't mind that.

    I'd feel more confidant if we had Hadjuk, Ching, Mostoeni, and Edu.

    But Lando can flat out play.

    Top five in the world:

    Messi
    Ronaldhino
    Van der Vaart
    Pirlo
    Donovan
  6. 21 Jun '09 23:54
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Messi
    Ronaldhino
    Van der Vaart
    Pirlo
    Donovan
    RAOTFLMLAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    donavan is n the worlds top 5 ahead of ronaldo because he's getting paid the big bucks.
  7. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    22 Jun '09 00:18
    Originally posted by trev33
    RAOTFLMLAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    donavan is n the worlds top 5 ahead of ronaldo because he's getting paid the big bucks.
    I thought Ronaldo was a striker.
  8. 22 Jun '09 00:54
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I thought Ronaldo was a striker.
    same position as messi. attacking midfielder.
  9. 22 Jun '09 01:00
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I thought Ronaldo was a striker.
    The gay Ronaldo is a winger (i.e. midfielder), the fat one is a striker.

    Midfielders better than Landon Donovan at the moment:

    Messi
    Franck Ribéry
    Kaka
    Gattuso
    Xabi Alonso
    Steven Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Park Ji-Sung
    Paul Scholes
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Keita
    Yaya Touré
    Sergi Busquets
    Fàbregas
    Aaron Ramsey
    Abou Diaby
    Michael Essien
    Frank Lampard
    Michael Ballack
    Harry Kewell
    Raul Meireles
    Mark van Bommel
    Sosa
    Schweinsteiger
    Andrei Arshavin
    Pavlyuchenko

    I'm getting tired of writing this list, someone else please take over... there are too many.
  10. 22 Jun '09 01:47
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    The gay Ronaldo is a winger (i.e. midfielder), the fat one is a striker.

    Midfielders better than Landon Donovan at the moment:

    Messi
    Franck Ribéry
    Kaka
    Gattuso
    Xabi Alonso
    Steven Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Park Ji-Sung
    Paul Scholes
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Keita
    Yaya Touré
    Sergi Busquets
    Fàbregas
    Aaron Ramsey
    Abou Diaby
    Michael Essien
    Frank Lampard
    Mi ...[text shortened]...

    I'm getting tired of writing this list, someone else please take over... there are too many.
    stickers that are better than donavan

    pavlyuchenko



    and you left out luke chadwick

    tut tut.
  11. 22 Jun '09 01:47
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    The gay Ronaldo is a winger (i.e. midfielder), the fat one is a striker.

    Midfielders better than Landon Donovan at the moment:

    Messi
    Franck Ribéry
    Kaka
    Gattuso
    Xabi Alonso
    Steven Gerrard
    Mascherano
    Park Ji-Sung
    Paul Scholes
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Keita
    Yaya Touré
    Sergi Busquets
    Fàbregas
    Aaron Ramsey
    Abou Diaby
    Michael Essien
    Frank Lampard
    Mi ...[text shortened]...

    I'm getting tired of writing this list, someone else please take over... there are too many.
    stickers that are better than donavan

    pavlyuchenko



    and you left out luke chadwick

    tut tut.
  12. 22 Jun '09 01:48
    ok that's the second time that thats happened tonight
  13. 22 Jun '09 12:02
    Originally posted by trev33
    stickers that are better than donavan

    pavlyuchenko
    Well, oops. I lumped him into my midfielder list, when he's a striker.

    I still don't think he's a sticker though, as you say... is he wearing a velcro kit? Is he covered in honey? Does he hang around car bumpers? Tell me more about the secret life of the professional Russian sticker.
  14. 24 Jun '09 20:52
    Help, I have foot in mouth disease!

    Congratulations USA, I think you've stunned the world with tonight's performance. Your coach REALLY did his homework, and therefore your team had an answer for everything the Spanish threw at them.

    The ref and linesmen were pretty bad, Michael Bradley should not have been sent off, Spain should have had a penalty in the first half from a foul by Donovan in the box, and there were numerous dubious offside calls.

    But jeez! The game was a lot more entertaining than I was expecting. GG to you.
  15. Standard member Yuga
    Renaissance
    24 Jun '09 21:27
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Congratulations USA, I think you've stunned the world with tonight's performance. Your coach REALLY did his homework, and therefore your team had an answer for everything the Spanish threw at them.

    The ref and linesmen were pretty bad, Michael Bradley should not have been sent off, Spain should have had a penalty in the first half from a foul by ...[text shortened]... side calls.

    But jeez! The game was a lot more entertaining than I was expecting. GG to you.
    Spector and especially Demerit really nice finds in the back, Onyewu played terrific, and Howard of course a high-class goalkeeper.

    Harkes had good analysis in the commentary in the US coverage, the other commentator really boring though.

    Why the US brings in Conor Casey in the ends of games I don't know, he seems slow and fat to me, should replace him with an orange practice cone. Not impressed by Clark either, the inside mid. Davies is a nice find, he's played well up top.

    Spain is a much more skilled team obviously, but the US had a great defensive effort. Would like the US to control the ball more, use their outside players better, as they did against Egypt well.

    Bradley is a pretty big loss, probably they will fill in with Feilhaber or more probably Klejsten (spelling off), they should do fine against Brazil, would like to see more high pressure by the US, they went into a shell for a while against Spain.