1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 11:511 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I could not care less about your misgivings, I am interested in evidence, your personal feelings are irrelevant.
    Our personal feeling and misgivings/enthusiasms are, for all intents and purposes, the only things on the table in this discussion.

IPL is the greatest tournament on TV, ghagra cholis, crazee fans, last over finishes, cricket legends, M S Dhoni helicopter shots, Dale Steyn, Bollywood actresses, its the best.

I accept and understand your personal feelings about all this stuff, and also accept and understand your misgivings about "long drawn out affairs that end in a draw after five days".
  2. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:01
    Chennai super Kings for the tournament!
    Easy Robbie, this kind of bickering just isn't cricket... not test cricket anyway. Sorry FMF but I'm kind of with Robbie on this one. Given that I've never subscribed to Sky Sports, so have been starved of a lot of first class cricket, the IPL being on terrestrial TV has rekindled my interest in cricket. Sure test cricket is different and the nature of the contest is different, but by not watching the IPL I think you're missing out on some great viewing. The look on Dale Steyn's face when AB de Villiers hits him for 20 in an over is just priceless. RCB for the tournament!
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:04
    Lesser players, who are you talking about FMF? In the IPL you are allowed four oversees players per side, who tend to be very good, the rest need to be Indian. How is that going to effect anyone else except the Indian test side, according to your theory?
    The IPL is not the only T20 cricket being played around the world. T20 cricket is being played by thousands of cricketers at all levels.

There are now some professional players in Australia that play more T20 than anything else because they can slog the ball, or they can bat a bit and send down niggardly deliveries that would never get a decent batsman out if he were not trying to score 8 or 10 runs an over.

I am not saying Ricky Ponting is a lesser player because he is playing IPL. I am basically asking where will Australia's next 'Ricky Ponting' come form if he grows up NOT learning the skills needed to score 40 or so Test hundreds?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:081 edit
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Sorry FMF but I'm kind of with Robbie on this one. Given that I've never subscribed to Sky Sports, so have been starved of a lot of first class cricket, the IPL being on terrestrial TV has rekindled my interest in cricket. Sure test cricket is different and the nature of the contest is different, but by not watching the IPL I think you're missing out on s ce when AB de Villiers hits him for 20 in an over is just priceless. RCB for the tournament!
    That's fine. I am aware of its popularity. And so I understand where you and robbie are coming from on this. I am not going to start slinging any personal abuse at you, don't worry. I have watched IPL cricket. I just don't care for it. It's not the kind of cricket I enjoy. Believe me, I am not interested in "the look on Dale Steyn's face when AB de Villiers hits him for 20 in an over" in a T20 game. Nor do I think there's any problem if you are.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:10
    with your extensive knowledge I thought it would have been easy for an opinionated pompous bloat like yourself.
    If your Clans Forum style trash talk is a sign of your sincere love for the game of cricket, I suppose you should go for it. You won't be getting any personal abuse back from me. 😀
  6. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:121 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not interested in "the look on Dale Steyn's face when AB de Villiers hits him for 20 in an over"
    :-)
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:181 edit
    :-)
    "I am not interested in "the look on Dale Steyn's face when AB de Villiers hits him for 20 in an over"

But I was interested in the looks on everybody's faces when England, in deepest peril, recently batted out the last day of the last test of an enthralling series between supposed giants (struggling) and supposed minnows (New Zealand, so nearly triumphing), in order to save the game and the whole rubber. The high drama was not contrived or predictable in the slightest. It will be lodged in my cricket memory for ever. I watched about 6 IPL games two years ago and cannot remember what happened in any of them!
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:25
    What I will say, however, is: ditch 40 and 50 over cricket. Replace it with T20 if T20 is to be the new reality. Let's have English counties play 20 or so T20s a season on Sundays throughout the summer, cancel all One Day cricket, and have the counties play at least 20 four day games. Also, have touring sides play counties like they used to, especially teams like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and maybe New Zealand. Give them 10 first class games against counties and three tests, minimum.
  9. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:301 edit
    In hockey: The NHL needs to remove touch icing and replace it with no-touch icing to prevent unnecessary ankle/leg/foot injuries. No-touch icing has been implemented in International leagues, European leagues and lower level North American leagues. It's likely only a matter of time before it is implemented in the NHL but it should have happened already.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/pitkanens-injury-renews-debate-about-icing-rule/
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:301 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    "I am not interested in "the look on Dale Steyn's face when AB de Villiers hits him for 20 in an over"

But I was interested in the looks on everybody's faces when England, in deepest peril, recently batted out the last day of the last test of an enthralling series between supposed giants (struggling) and supposed minnows (New Zealand, so nearly triumph ...[text shortened]... I watched about 6 IPL games two years ago and cannot remember what happened in any of them!
    pity that, we had a last ball, last over finish last week, in which the batsman needed to score a boundary off the last ball to win, with the match almost tied except for a single run, he played his stroke and was caught. RCB (Royal Chargers Banglore) celebrated, but it was premature, it was a no ball, the batsman made a single run tying the match and was given an extra point for the no ball, taking him to a winning total, such drama is not only memorable but super exciting and there you are, an old fuddy duddy, sitting there with your Pimms number one, crushed ice and lemonade getting your jollies over some soon forgotten test match, while we Bhangra to some Desi tablas sounds, oh, i dont think so. Get with the groove FMF!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    If your Clans Forum style trash talk is a sign of your sincere love for the game of cricket, I suppose you should go for it. You won't be getting any personal abuse back from me. 😀
    that is also a pity, i need called out from time to time! 😀
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:35
    Easy Robbie, this kind of bickering just isn't cricket... not test cricket anyway. Sorry FMF but I'm kind of with Robbie on this one. Given that I've never subscribed to Sky Sports, so have been starved of a lot of first class cricket, the IPL being on terrestrial TV has rekindled my interest in cricket. Sure test cricket is different and the nature of th ...[text shortened]... e when AB de Villiers hits him for 20 in an over is just priceless. RCB for the tournament!
    RCB for the tournament, gulp! We were robbed last year by Shahrukh Khans Kolkata knight riders, this time M S gonna take us to the title!
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:39
    pity that, we had a last ball, last over finish last week, in which the batsman needed to score a boundary off the last ball to win, with the match almost tied except for a single run, he played his stroke and was caught. RCB (Royal Chargers Banglore) celebrated, but it was premature, it was a no ball, the batsman made a single run tying the match an ...[text shortened]... tch, while we Bhangra to some Desi tablas sounds, oh, i dont think so. Get with the groove FMF!
    I prefer U.S. baseball to T20.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:41
    ...there you are, an old fuddy duddy, sitting there with your Pimms number one, crushed ice and lemonade getting your jollies over some soon forgotten test match
    So you have little or no interest at all in first class and test cricket, only the IPL?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 12:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you have little or no interest at all in first class and test cricket, only the IPL?
    I used to listen to TMS when Nasser Hussain was captain of England, but no, i have never followed county cricket. Apart from the IPL, ill maybe watch the world cup, but that's about it and some of the Ashes, if the Aussies are winning.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree