World Cup Awards

World Cup Awards

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
11 Jul 10

Best player - Golden Ball: Diego Forlán (Uru)
Silver Ball: Wesley Senijder (Ned)
Bronze Ball: David Villa (Spa)

Top Scorer - Golden Boot: Thomas Muller (Ger): 5 goals and 3 assists (tie breaker was assits)
Silver Boot: David Villa (Spa) (5 goals, 1 assist)
Bronze Boot: Wesley Sneijder (Ned) (5 goals, 1 assist)

Best Goalkeeper Golden Glove: Iker Casillas (Spa)

Best Young Player: Thomas Muller (Ger)

Fair play award: Spain

m

Moves
11 Jul 10
1 edit

Good choices by Fifa. For me it's a surprise the Forlan's choice, they always pick someone from the final, but it's absolutelly well deserved!

Santiago

Moves
11 Jul 10

Spain - fair play award? Cheating got two opponents players sent off this world cup.

I think Germany should have got it.

m

Moves
12 Jul 10
1 edit

Surprised Iniesta and/or Schweinsteiger didn't feature in the top three, but I suppose goal-scorers always get the attention.

o
Art is hard

Moves
12 Jul 10

Originally posted by Hopster
Spain - fair play award? Cheating got two opponents players sent off this world cup.

Agreed. Spain were anything but sporting. Probably Ghana deserved it, no?

m

Moves
12 Jul 10

Originally posted by Hopster

I remember the Chile player, but who's the other one?

V
King of the Ring-er

Moves
12 Jul 10

Originally posted by monteirof
I remember the Chile player, but who's the other one?
Heitinga.

m

Moves
12 Jul 10

Originally posted by Virtue76
Heitinga.
Well, you cant say this is cheating like the Torres dive against Chile. You may say ref was too severe. I think it was well deserved. Considering how Netherlands played the game, to have only one player sent off and aonly in the second half of overtime was pretty lucky.

k

Moves
12 Jul 10

Good choices by Fifa. For me it's a surprise the Forlan's choice, they always pick someone from the final, but it's absolutelly well deserved!
I agree, Forlan dragged the hard-working but mediocre team all the way to semifinals. Such a clever player, watch his movement without a ball next time you see him play for Uruguay or Atletico.

V
King of the Ring-er

Moves
12 Jul 10

Well, you cant say this is cheating like the Torres dive against Chile. You may say ref was too severe. I think it was well deserved. Considering how Netherlands played the game, to have only one player sent off and aonly in the second half of overtime was pretty lucky.
I agree. Van Bommel was very lucky to stay on and DeJong should have got a straight red for his kun-fu kick!

d

Moves
12 Jul 10

Originally posted by Virtue76
Heitinga.
Capdevila play-acted and made a Portuguese player sent off.
Villa also punched a Honduran player.

s

Moves
16 Jul 10

Isn't the award based and the fewest number of yellows? Spain wins that one hands down.

Moves
16 Jul 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Isn't the award based and the fewest number of yellows? Spain wins that one hands down.
i think they have a point system, certain number of points awarded for each, foul or red and yellow card.

it's not surprising spain won given that their opponents rarely had the ball for them to foul them.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
16 Jul 10

Another excellent Zonal Marking insight:
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/07/16/sergio-busquets-world-cup-final/

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Jul 10

Originally posted by trev33
i think they have a point system, certain number of points awarded for each, foul or red and yellow card.

it's not surprising spain won given that their opponents rarely had the ball for them to foul them.
its not just ball posession but also what you do with the ball while in possesion. If you dont take players on then you wont get any yellows against you either.