1. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 09:461 edit
    From BBC Sport

Not one player at Chelsea, one of the richest football clubs in the world, agreed to contribute any of their wages to the May Day For Nurses campaign, where footballers are asked to give a day's wages to hard-up Nurses. Of all the 556 Premiership players asked to help with the scheme, only 225 contributed.

If true, it's not great PR for England captain John Terry, or internationals Lampard, Ashley and Joe Cole.
  2. LA
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 12:29
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    From BBC Sport

Not one player at Chelsea, one of the richest football clubs in the world, agreed to contribute any of their wages to the May Day For Nurses campaign, where footballers are asked to give a day's wages to hard-up Nurses. Of all the 556 Premiership players asked to help with the scheme, only 225 contributed.

If true, it's not great PR for England captain John Terry, or internationals Lampard, Ashley and Joe Cole.
    Says alot about the players that kiss the badge at Chelski!
  3. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 12:30
    From BBC Sport

Unsurprising.

Can I ask you a question, which is not bitter nor intended to get at you?

Would you swap? Would you have Liverpool in the same position of strength Chelsea are in, Abramovich and all, but have a squad of players who hadn't paid up? Or is it more important to have magnanimous players on the side?

I bet pro footballers are approached daily to give to this and that... who's to say they don't donate in other places?
  4. LA
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 12:482 edits
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Unsurprising.

Can I ask you a question, which is not bitter nor intended to get at you?

Would you swap? Would you have Liverpool in the same position of strength Chelsea are in, Abramovich and all, but have a squad of players who hadn't paid up? Or is it more important to have magnanimous players on the side?

I bet pro footballers are approached daily to give to this and that... who's to say they don't donate in other places?
    Most footall players in the Premier League do quietly contribute to charity, probably about 90% of them, it helps with the tax breaks.

Its rare that a global commitment is made to all teams, and Chelski did not have a single player that offered to contribute.

Chelski players probably average about 70K a week thats why they kiss the badge.
    So a days wage will be considerably more to contribute than most other players.

I still find it strange not a single Chelski player will not offer a days wage to this charity.
  5. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 12:54
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Most footall players in the Premier League do quietly contribute to charity, probably about 90% of them, it helps with the tax breaks.

Its rare that a global commitment is made to all teams, and Chelski did not have a single player that offered to contribute.

Chelski players probably average about 70K a week thats why they kiss the badge.
    S ...[text shortened]...
    I still find it strange not a single Chelski player will not offer a days wage to this charity.
    So do I, but I'd be interested to see if Gerrard, or Cristiano Ronaldo etc paid.
  6. LA
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 13:10
    So do I, but I'd be interested to see if Gerrard, or Cristiano Ronaldo etc paid.
    I agree.

The article is probably highlighting Chelski because their average wage bill is way higher than any other sides in the Premier League.

I do know that C Ronaldo and StevieG contribute to Charities regulally, I have read reports.

Lampard I have heard nice stories about him helping out disabled fans and making an effort to meet them after games and give them signed shirts.

Its one thing giving a signed shirt, its another handing over 15k (a days wages) for some Chelski players.
  7. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 13:11
    I agree.

The article is probably highlighting Chelski because their average wage bill is way higher than any other sides in the Premier League.

I do know that C Ronaldo and StevieG contribute to Charities regulally, I have read reports.

Lampard I have heard nice stories about him helping out disabled fans and making an effort to meet them ...[text shortened]... ing giving a signed shirt, its another handing over 15k (a days wages) for some Chelski players.
    Maybe the club instructed them not to, with their reasons. Maybe they will make a contribution colletively.

Just a thought.
  8. LA
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 13:22
    Maybe the club instructed them not to, with their reasons. Maybe they will make a contribution colletively.

Just a thought.
    I think the route of the problem is that an average Chelski player will be asked to hand over about 8k (a days wages).

Most other teams in the Premier League will have players that 'only' earn about 2k a day.

No matter how much you earn, its alot easier to hand over 2k than 8k.
  9. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 13:33
    I think the route of the problem is that an average Chelski player will be asked to hand over about 8k (a days wages).

Most other teams in the Premier League will have players that 'only' earn about 2k a day.

No matter how much you earn, its alot easier to hand over 2k than 8k.
    I disagree. A days wages is a days wages, it's the same % whether that days wages is 2k or 8k.

Here's a question... if you earn 500 quid a week, and give a hundred of that to charity, would you have given more than the footballer who gave the same charity a days pay?
  10. LA
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 13:39
    Originally posted by blade68
    I disagree. A days wages is a days wages, it's the same % whether that days wages is 2k or 8k.

Here's a question... if you earn 500 quid a week, and give a hundred of that to charity, would you have given more than the footballer who gave the same charity a days pay?
    Who really knows when we are talking about such large sums of money.

All I know is that a Chelski player will be probably have to buy a house, or take a mortgage out for 3m to live near the club.

On top of that you have the expensive cars, lifestyle etc...

So I still think its a lot easier to give up a days wages if its 1k than a days wages at 10k.

If you get into gambling trouble or make many investments 10k is a lot of money, 1k is not really.
  11. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 14:021 edit
    Afternoon both. The title of the thread wasn't meant as a dig at Chelsea - it was referring to the more than 50% of players (whichever clubs) that did not contribute. I agree that many who did not may contribute elsewhere and in no way was I having a personal dig at Terry who I believe to be a reformed character from his early years. I only mentioned him in the edit, after I heard his name on TV and thought how it wasn't great PR with him being England captain.

It's the same % for everyone, a days wages for your average man £25k(?) is about £80 compared to about £18k to Stevie G / Terry who earn £120k a week. However, the richer you are the more affordable it gets - imagine asking a person on the strees to give up a days beggings.
  12. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 14:14
    From BBC Sport

Only 225!? That's over 40% which is a huge response
  13. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 17:29
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    Only 225!? That's over 40% which is a huge response
    Not when you consider how much publicity has surrounded it.
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 18:28
    Those guys need the money to pay their rent.

It is not like they highly paid sports stars like they have over here in the US.

Maybe these Nurses should have asked for some real money like:

1 hour of Tim Duncans salary

the amount clemens gets paid for pitching to one batter.

the amount tiger earns for playing one hole on average.

that would cover these premier league semi-pros for several years I should think.
  15. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '07 18:32
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Those guys need the money to pay their rent.

It is not like they highly paid sports stars like they have over here in the US.

Maybe these Nurses should have asked for some real money like:

1 hour of Tim Duncans salary

the amount clemens gets paid for pitching to one batter.

the amount tiger earns for playing one hole on average.

that would cover these premier league semi-pros for several years I should think.
    Maybe if we Europeans were nations of hot dog munching, supersize soda drinking retards we could drum up some more revenue at the stadiums on match day to pay our sports stars real money?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree