1. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 03:151 edit
    OK.. I know people take timeouts in tournaments.. I always do.. but.. I've never had a tournament where there is no Move time, and a timeback. This means once the time is up.. I could just make a move, then time the person out immediately..
    I have some games where I have over 40 days left, and the other people are down to less than 3 days.. Would I be really cheap to actually make the move, then timeout immediately and just think to myself that maybe they shouldn't have wasted weeks at a time to make a move in the beginning? Or.. would I be branded as a cheap idiot like those people that setup 1/0 games just to win on timeouts?
    MIODude

edit: title was.. Should I be cheap?
  2. DonationDustnrogers
    Canada'sChamp
    Calgary Alberta
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 07:03
    Honestly, you cant be branded cheap, its 60 days, and if you cant make a game happen in 60 days, then you shouldnt play chess. So if the time runs down, if you do or dont is up to you, but it will automatically time out after two days anyhow. So i think you just let it go, and take a much deserved set of victories for having to wait 60 days!!!
  3. Standard memberLazerblue
    Planet Eater
    Manchester UK
    Moves
    14 Mar '05 13:36
    For the sake of the tournament, just go ahead, those are the rules and terms, free for all to see on entry in the first place.
  4. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 02:04
    If I were you, I'd wait until the timeout happens automatically. I don't see why people feel the need to actively take timeouts in tournaments. If someone is sufficiently slow for it to be a genuine problem, the system will take care of it and no-one can blame you.
  5. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 04:41
    Thats true.. I wouldn't even need to make a move.. since I have over 50 days left.. I could just let it sit for 2 days. Would I still get the win count toward my rating? (not that it matters too much.. next few games will knock it back down to where it should be)
  6. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 05:57
    Originally posted by MIODude
    Thats true.. I wouldn't even need to make a move.. since I have over 50 days left.. I could just let it sit for 2 days. Would I still get the win count toward my rating? (not that it matters too much.. next few games will knock it back down to where it should be)
    your ratings are only affected if more than a minimal number of moves is made ... i think that minimum number is 5, but might be wrong.
  7. DonationDustnrogers
    Canada'sChamp
    Calgary Alberta
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 07:39
    I do believe in tourney and clan games the ratings count no matter what, and if there is a set number of moves, it is 2 im sure
  8. Copenhagen
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 08:29
    Originally posted by Dustnrogers
    I do believe in tourney and clan games the ratings count no matter what, and if there is a set number of moves, it is 2 im sure
    I've just had two tournament games where my opponent didn't move, and they were made unrated and cant be seen in my rating history graph.
  9. Joined
    13 Sep '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 19:102 edits
    Originally posted by orfeo
    If I were you, I'd wait until the timeout happens automatically. I don't see why people feel the need to actively take timeouts in tournaments. If someone is sufficiently slow for it to be a genuine problem, the system will take care of it and no-one can blame you.
    In a tournament, it's much fair to timeout the late player, there's always another players waiting for your games end and there's people that want to know who will be the great champion.

If any of the 2005 Championship competitors decide to let the system TO his opponents, it could not finish this year, because it would become a 2 days TO tournament, instead of a 0 TO.

Maybe it's better if Russ set automatic TO at the end of the TB, or if he start the 2nd round even though some games (EDIT: games that people are afraid of annoy their opponents and decided to wait 2 days for the automaitic TO) that won't change the result is still going on.
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    16 Mar '05 21:27
    In 2005 champ I took the timeouts as soon as they were available as my opponent had put in his profile that he would only be playing clan games due to game load.

Otherwise I would have sent a reminder and let the auto-timeout run it's course, afterall what's 2 days after 60?

er... 62 of course 😉
  11. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 13:41
    Yes, minimum number of moves is 2 each I think. Possibly 3 but definitely no more than that. It's the same as with ordinary games where you initially have a 'Delete' button for a couple of moves, once that's gone a game counts.

12. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 13:451 edit
    I don't see how 2 days extra is enough to push the length of the tournament out by much! If someone isn't moving, odds are they won't move in the extra days. The advantage is not annoying someone, basically.
  13. Joined
    13 Sep '04
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 14:18
    I don't see how 2 days extra is enough to push the length of the tournament out by much! If someone isn't moving, odds are they won't move in the extra days. The advantage is not annoying someone, basically.
    But he can move. Then we have a 2 days TO game. A game that means nothing to the tournament. But... stop it!!!

I'm not in the 2005 Championship, but man... It have been better than the SuperBowl, than the NBA Playoff... I want to see who will win it... and it must happen this year.

Something more to think about: Suppose you are in a tough game in the 2005 Championship, then your opponent's timebank finish, and you, as a fair player, as a "gentleman", decide to wait for the automatic TO...😠
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 15:34
    Of course you have to move, as otherwise your opponents time controls aren't being used.

As for the min number of moves question. Each opponent must make at least 1 move each, before it becomes a rated game, even in tournament/clan games.

D
  15. Joined
    13 Sep '04
    Moves
    17 Mar '05 15:52
    But he can move. Then we have a 2 days TO game. A game that means nothing to the tournament. But... stop it!!! 😠

I'm not in the 2005 Championship. But man, it have been better than the SuperBowl, than the NBA Playoff. I want to see who will win it. And it must happen this year for G*d sake!!!

Something more to think about:

Suppose you are in a tough game in the 2005 Championship, then your opponent's timebank finish, and you, as a "fair" player, as a "gentleman", decide to wait for the automatic TO.

But, surprise, your opponent moves before the auto TO, and send you a game message thanking you for your kindness.

You as a "gentleman" that is pride for your "fairness", keep on playing the game, and then your own timebank ends too.

Then, another surprise, your opponent wasn't as "fair" as you and he TO you at the first chance.

So, man, TO your opponent in the 2005 Championship at the first chance is the fairest thing to do.

It's fair with yourself, you deserve the win. It's fair with your opponent, he has known the rules when he joined in. It's fair with the other competitors, they are waiting for your game to finish the round. It's fair with Russ, he set the 0TO/60TB to have a 2005 Champion until the year end. And above all, it's fair with all the RHP community that wants to have a 2005 Champion in the 2005 year.

Am I talkin only for myself? I'm sure not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree