2007 Championships

2007 Championships

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lookin for a way out

Moves
19 Nov 07

Originally posted by Dutch Defense
I'm gonna take English Tal to win the tournament.
I think so too. He's good. 🙂

D

Moves
20 Nov 07

Tournament 1677

1. English Tal (22 - 34) = 28
2. Gatecrasher (17 - 38) = 27.5
3. cludi (20 - 32) = 26
4. David Tebb (21- 27) = 24
5. Salin i Vitalik (11 - 29) = 20
6.= Pattrick06 (9 - 9) = 9
6.= Philidor284 (9 - 9) = 9
8. uffejaster (5 - 8) = 6.5

Wins-Losses vs. the top five / bottom three.

1. English Tal +1/+5
2=. Gatecrasher +1/+4
2=. cludi +1/+4
4. David Tebb -1/+5
5. Salin i Vitalik -1/+2

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
20 Nov 07

Game 4079548
Game 4079565

both finished recently

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
20 Nov 07

and Game 4079601

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
22 Nov 07

Game 4079585 just finished yesterday

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
24 Nov 07

Nice win for cludi

Game 4079558

Not sure he'll be runner-up after this. He's much more likely to win the title now.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
24 Nov 07

Yeah I looked at that game the other day and couldnt see any way out for you after Rxg2+. It was a bit of a swindle in some ways, were there not points earlier in the game where you could have relieved some of the pressure on the kingside and got into a more favourable endgame?

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
24 Nov 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
Yeah I looked at that game the other day and couldnt see any way out for you after Rxg2+. It was a bit of a swindle in some ways, were there not points earlier in the game where you could have relieved some of the pressure on the kingside and got into a more favourable endgame?
In recent moves I'd resolved myself to exchanging queen for rook and bishop. I thought my pawn advantage would hold up going forward. Further analysis yesterday, however, showed that black's queen and remaining rook could force a winning advantage several moves later - something I'd not seen before. I guess I didn't look deeply enough into the position when I had the chance to avoid it. Blunder.

c
Blogger

clausjensen.com

Moves
25 Nov 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
In recent moves I'd resolved myself to exchanging queen for rook and bishop. I thought my pawn advantage would hold up going forward. Further analysis yesterday, however, showed that black's queen and remaining rook could force a winning advantage several moves later - something I'd not seen before. I guess I didn't look deeply enough into the position when I had the chance to avoid it. Blunder.
Calling it a blunder is to be a little harsh on yourself, isn't it?
Although you may have realized a little late that you were the defending part...🙂
When that is said I was very worried throughout this game because I think you had a few chances to avoid the final outcome.
I'll post more on that on my blog once I've had the time to analyze the game deeper...

c
Blogger

clausjensen.com

Moves
26 Nov 07

cludi-David Tebb with my annotations is now available at my blog.
http://www.clausjensen.com

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
27 Nov 07

Originally posted by cludi
cludi-David Tebb with my annotations is now available at my blog.
What a fascinating fortress!

Considering the position after 32…b6, white’s winning chances depend on obtaining an open file that white can exploit.

Critical Points:
White cannot progress while both of his rooks are on the board.
White cannot progress if both of his rooks are traded off the board.
White cannot progress if the queens are traded off the board.
White cannot play f5 until the response g5 can somehow be punished.

After White exchanges one of the rooks, White must not cede control of the e-file to Black’s lone rook should Black’s Queen penetrate white’s position. If White achieves this point, White can utilize his Kside advantage for victory.

c
Blogger

clausjensen.com

Moves
28 Nov 07

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
Game now available at my blog:

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
29 Nov 07

Game 4079595 finished up today

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
29 Nov 07

Originally posted by Dutch Defense
Game 4079595 finished up today
That was a pretty impressive performance by salin - I was convinced he was going to lose that game but the bishop suddenly found a way to become active at the right moment and turned the tide.

Looks like david tebb is out of the runnings for 2007 champion now, and unless somebody manages to beat cludi he is probably favourite.

lookin for a way out

Moves
29 Nov 07

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
That was a pretty impressive performance by salin - I was convinced he was going to lose that game but the bishop suddenly found a way to become active at the right moment and turned the tide.

Looks like david tebb is out of the runnings for 2007 champion now, and unless somebody manages to beat cludi he is probably favourite.
It's very close for all three top players. I wouldn't say anybody had it in the bag yet!