Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. 15 Dec '06 01:56
    Is this tournament going to start in early 2007? I have not heard about it yet.
  2. 15 Dec '06 17:58
    Presumably. I would look for it to show up for registration the last week of December (if not earlier).
  3. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    16 Dec '06 13:49
    it takes time to fill a large tourney - i hope it starts soon ...

    i would like to enter again - but i did tell myself i would cut my games right back before subscribing again....
  4. 19 Dec '06 13:32
    Originally posted by flexmore
    it takes time to fill a large tourney - i hope it starts soon ...

    i would like to enter again - but i did tell myself i would cut my games right back before subscribing again....
    Silly duck, why would you want to play less chess instead of more?
  5. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    19 Dec '06 15:09
    2007 championship signup is up, Quirine is the first to enter
  6. 19 Dec '06 16:37
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    2007 championship signup is up, Quirine is the first to enter
    Sweet I'm in!
  7. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    19 Dec '06 17:16
    60 days for roughly 40 moves makes about 1.5 days for a move. that's CC blitz! if the group size is, say, 10 people, that'll give me 18 games with 1.5 day 'timeout'.

    it's not for me...
  8. Subscriber Chris
    Site Admin
    19 Dec '06 18:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    60 days for roughly 40 moves makes about 1.5 days for a move. that's CC blitz! if the group size is, say, 10 people, that'll give me 18 games with 1.5 day 'timeout'.

    it's not for me...
    There will be some new vacation code going live, possibly before this tournament starts, which will enable subscribers to be immune from timeouts while on vacation (up to a maximum number of days per year).

    More of that later though.
  9. 19 Dec '06 18:07
    Originally posted by Chris
    There will be some new vacation code going live, possibly before this tournament starts, which will enable subscribers to be immune from timeouts while on vacation (up to a maximum number of days per year).

    More of that later though.
    sweet - how long? 3 months? 3 months???
  10. 19 Dec '06 19:06
    Originally posted by wormwood
    60 days for roughly 40 moves makes about 1.5 days for a move. that's CC blitz! if the group size is, say, 10 people, that'll give me 18 games with 1.5 day 'timeout'.

    it's not for me...
    You also can think during your opponents turn...
  11. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    19 Dec '06 19:54
    Originally posted by zebano
    You also can think during your opponents turn...
    like with any other time control... but it's still quite close to 1 day TO. I don't like less than 7 days really. I foolishly started a couple of clan games with 3 day TO, and they're a constant nuisance.

    on the other hand, the opening will be played fast, so that'll leave more days for the rest of the moves. unlike with real TOs, in which everything you don't use for a move goes to waste. then there's the coming vacation bank, and the initial opponents will be rated far lower in the first round, so maybe I should try it out anyway... but I'd just hate to end up with 18 games I'd have to rush the moves in.
  12. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    20 Dec '06 02:04
    Is this tournament supposed to be for the good players? I see alot more 1700s and aboves.
  13. 20 Dec '06 02:35
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Is this tournament supposed to be for the good players? I see alot more 1700s and aboves.
    Let's say 1650's and above.

    I think it's just because it's the biggest tournament of the year. But, if you had to guess, wouldn't you think a higher rated player would win?
  14. Standard member Gatecrasher
    Whale watching
    20 Dec '06 08:18
    Originally posted by Ramned
    Is this tournament supposed to be for the good players? I see alot more 1700s and aboves.
    Have a look at this year's tournament (2006):

    Tournament 941

    Only 4 more games left.

    And for the previous year (2005):

    Tournament 414

    Can anyone stop Quirine???
  15. Donation Quirine
    Tovenaar
    20 Dec '06 09:51
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Have a look at this year's tournament (2006):

    Tournament 941

    Only 4 more games left.

    And for the previous year (2005):

    Tournament 414

    Can anyone stop [b]Quirine
    ???[/b]
    I hope not :-)