Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. 09 Sep '08 16:36
    Why not invite all the 3.b guys (cludi, seadevil, clivestraddle, stephane, ironman31 etc) back to compete in a "silicon frenzy" event to see who has the biggest cress patch?
    The games should be interesting affairs.
    They would only be eligible to play in the engine tourni & nowhere else on the site.

    How about it?
  2. 09 Sep '08 16:37
    Please ignore the above post.
    I forgot we have the 2008 Championship.
  3. 09 Sep '08 20:12
    I think Ironman had beaten most of those players when he was at his peak - my money would be on him.

    With a bit of a prevailing wind, there could be some more removal of the engines who have made it to the next round of the championships - making for a bice clean final
  4. 09 Sep '08 21:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I think Ironman had beaten most of those players when he was at his peak - my money would be on him.

    With a bit of a prevailing wind, there could be some more removal of the engines who have made it to the next round of the championships - making for a bice clean final
    Um Whats a "bice"
    is that a tactic I never heard of?
  5. Subscriber jb70
    State of Confusion
    09 Sep '08 21:48
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    [b]Um Whats a "bice"?
    Who gives a buck?
  6. 10 Sep '08 12:22
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    Um Whats a "bice"
    is that a tactic I never heard of?
    Two or more buffalo?
  7. 10 Sep '08 19:27
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Please ignore the above post.
    I forgot we have the 2008 Championship.
    ROFL!
  8. 10 Sep '08 19:42
    can someone fill a curious (relatively) newbie in...what's a 3.b guy? i noticed that clivestraddle had been banned. why? have all those others mentioned been banned for the same reason?
  9. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    11 Sep '08 04:27
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    I think Ironman had beaten most of those players when he was at his peak - my money would be on him.

    With a bit of a prevailing wind, there could be some more removal of the engines who have made it to the next round of the championships - making for a bice clean final
    I don't know that much about him, but from looking at his games and forum posts, I think it is reasonable to suggest that he as well as cludi were genuinly good players, (maybe 2200+), and just used engines to blundercheck, or only in some games.
  10. 17 Sep '08 17:15
    Originally posted by rja211077
    can someone fill a curious (relatively) newbie in...what's a 3.b guy? i noticed that clivestraddle had been banned. why? have all those others mentioned been banned for the same reason?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 3b is refering to section 3 b) of the Terms of Service on this site- http://www.timeforchess.com/myhome/termsofservice.php
  11. 19 Sep '08 08:57
    ok thanks...next question...how are they found out? don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to dodge the bullet myself - i'm clean as a whistle - just curious as to how this type of cheating is weeded out.
  12. 19 Sep '08 14:50
    Originally posted by rja211077
    ok thanks...next question...how are they found out? don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to dodge the bullet myself - i'm clean as a whistle - just curious as to how this type of cheating is weeded out.
    I have no idea.
    But all the players mentioned in the initial post of this thread were banned from the site for some reason. The poster seems to think it was 3b, who knows?!

    The post regarding cludi and ironman being genuine players who blunder checked or only cheated in some games also makes me wonder how detection is actually done...

    Anyone?
  13. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    22 Sep '08 01:29
    Originally posted by BlitzNewbie
    I have no idea.
    But all the players mentioned in the initial post of this thread were banned from the site for some reason. The poster seems to think it was 3b, who knows?!

    The post regarding cludi and ironman being genuine players who blunder checked or only cheated in some games also makes me wonder how detection is actually done...

    Anyone?
    As far as I know, for the most part players banned for cheating must have a certain match up rate with an engines first three choices. (something like 85% or so)

    Plenty of people have questioned that it is simply a strong player, but the highest matchups ever maintained by the worlds strongest correspondence chess players is something like 82%.

    Players must also have played a certain number of games; One game will never sufice as proof.

    I think cludi was very because he seemed to have a tremendous knowledge of chess, and still keeps up a very interesting chess blog.

    I'm not sure about Ironman, but since he beat all the other cheats, and a strong player working with an engine will almost always be better than just an engine, he either was very strong, or just had a very strong engine.

    What do you mean, they were banned for some other reason? They were all banned for cheating, 3b.
  14. 22 Sep '08 03:55
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    As far as I know, for the most part players banned for cheating must have a certain match up rate with an engines first three choices. (something like 85% or so)

    Plenty of people have questioned that it is simply a strong player, but the highest matchups ever maintained by the worlds strongest correspondence chess players is something like 82%.

    Players must also have played a certain number of games; One game will never sufice as proof.

    Thanks for this background.

    I think cludi was very because he seemed to have a tremendous knowledge of chess, and still keeps up a very interesting chess blog.
    Where is that blog?


    What do you mean, they were banned for some other reason? They were all banned for cheating, 3b.

    I'm not suggesting anything. Just pointing out that they could theoretically have been banned for any violation of the TOS, or did I miss something here?
  15. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    22 Sep '08 22:29
    Originally posted by BlitzNewbie
    Thanks for this background.

    [b]I think cludi was very because he seemed to have a tremendous knowledge of chess, and still keeps up a very interesting chess blog.

    Where is that blog?


    What do you mean, they were banned for some other reason? They were all banned for cheating, 3b.

    I'm not suggesting anything. Just pointing out that th ...[text shortened]... ould theoretically have been banned for any violation of the TOS, or did I miss something here?[/b]
    Here is the blog: http://www.clausjensen.com/

    No they were banned for cheating. There used to be a list of banned players and what the were banned for, but it was removed. All the listed players were banned for 3b