1. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 19:26
    Shame on you for ruining the January banded 2008 1250-1325 tournament with your rating of 1728. looks like you have a couple other so-called victories in the 1200ish banded tournies as well. We have had alot of flooding in the area where I live. You should come on down and help with some sandbags.
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 20:251 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 00:49
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    Shame on you for ruining the January banded 2008 1250-1325 tournament with your rating of 1728. looks like you have a couple other so-called victories in the 1200ish banded tournies as well. We have had alot of flooding in the area where I live. You should come on down and help with some sandbags.
    Yep sad, very sad.

The sooner tourney entry floors are adopted the better.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 05:11
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Yep sad, very sad.

The sooner tourney entry floors are adopted the better.
    They're already in place.
  5. Joined
    31 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 05:17
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    They're already in place.
    They don't work very well then - 100 days is a joke.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 07:271 edit
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    They don't work very well then - 100 days is a joke.
    They weren't in place in January of '08, so there was no chance for them to work.

Hopefully we will get real rating floors here soon. That's the real fix.
  7. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    24 Jun '08 20:37
    They weren't in place in January of '08, so there was no chance for them to work.

Might not have worked in this case anyway, since Ptite joined in Dec. '07 User 407228
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 14:01
    No, it's not. Even with rating floors, he would have been able to enter the Jan 08 tournies, as presumably a fair rating floor would have to exclude provisional ratings. The rating floor would have prevented him from entering later low band tournies after his rating slumps.

SG, I think you might find this post and the proceeding posts interesting...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

D
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 20:20
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    No, it's not. Even with rating floors, he would have been able to enter the Jan 08 tournies, as presumably a fair rating floor would have to exclude provisional ratings. The rating floor would have prevented him from entering later low band tournies after his rating slumps.

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=46202&page=2#post_828738

D
    I looked at the latest dip in his graph and assumed that was when he entered the Jan tourney. My mistake.

I read the thread you linked. The problem of keeping underrated provisionals [or those recently out of the provisional phase] out of low-band tourneys is not so easily solved. Let me explain.

Higher-rated players don't usually accept challenges from lower-rated players [200+ points or more in particular] for obvious reasons. When I started here, my provisional rating came out low because high-rated players don't tend to want to play provisionals. So, I had to be a 1500 for awhile, and beat a bunch of other 1500s, then be a 1600 for awhile, until I beat a bunch of 1600s, etc.

Since I never could get many challenges from those outside my rating class, your proposal would not have stopped me from entering a bunch of U1600 or U1800 banded tourneys.

Now, imagine what happens when a player deliberately keeps their provisional rating low. I see no reasonable way to stop this.
  10. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 04:01
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
    what made me think provisionals could not join tournies?
  11. England.
    Moves
    27 Jun '08 18:521 edit
    It's shocking!.
    Players should withdraw from a tournament they know they are greatly over-rated for.
  12. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 16:05
    Originally posted by Quaff
    It's shocking!.
    Players should withdraw from a tournament they know they are greatly over-rated for.
    Except there's no way to do so gracefully. Yes, I am aware that you can resign games. I expect some will be moved to point this out yet again. Resigning is not a graceful solution.

Graceful solutions are allowing users to opt out of the next round of the tournament, or in the case of banded tournaments, to have this "opt out" be done automatically if a rating is much higher than the upper limit.
  13. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 21:321 edit
    Originally posted by DawgHaus
    Except there's no way to do so gracefully. Yes, I am aware that you can resign games. I expect some will be moved to point this out yet again. Resigning is not a graceful solution.

Graceful solutions are allowing users to opt out of the next round of the tournament, or in the case of banded tournaments, to have this "opt out" be done automatically if a rating is much higher than the upper limit.
    You can essentially "opt out" of the next round of a tourney by resigning all your games before the third move. This doesn't impact your rating and is essentially the same as being given a choice before starting the round. I have done this myself for a tourney where I ended up being much higher rated than the band, due to it being one of my first tournaments.

I don't think forcing a resignation or "opt out" is the right solution.
  14. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '08 22:05
    Originally posted by sven1000
    You can essentially "opt out" of the next round of a tourney by resigning all your games before the third move. This doesn't impact your rating and is essentially the same as being given a choice before starting the round. I have done this myself for a tourney where I ended up being much higher rated than the band, due to it being one of my first tournaments.

I don't think forcing a resignation or "opt out" is the right solution.
    No kidding, you can resign your games? 🙄
  15. Standard membersven1000
    Astrophysicist
    Outer Space
    Moves
    29 Jun '08 21:35
    Originally posted by DawgHaus
    No kidding, you can resign your games? 🙄
    I guess I don't see why you consider this "disgraceful".

Being able to bow out without harm to your own rating puts the ethical choice squarely on the too-high-ranked player.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree