Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

1. 06 Mar '06 17:40
    First off, more duels please.

Second, what happens when an odd number of people advance in a round? Specifically, the Sprint Duel 64 IX is currently in round 2. Assuming that the players who tied both advance and that group 5 produces a clear winner there will be 19 players in the next round. How do the pairings work then?
  2. Standard member Peakite
    Sais
    06 Mar '06 17:46
    Eight pairs and one group of three (same for all duels).
  3. 06 Mar '06 21:58
    ahhh. Thanks for the info. I hope I don't get stuck in the group of 3.
  4. Standard member GalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    07 Mar '06 06:05
    Originally posted by zebano
    ahhh. Thanks for the info. I hope I don't get stuck in the group of 3.
    Actually being in a group of 3 gives you more of a margin for error, since there are an extra 2 games to get enough points to advance.
  5. 07 Mar '06 12:08
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Actually being in a group of 3 gives you more of a margin for error, since there are an extra 2 games to get enough points to advance.
    not really, in a duel if you win one game (or 50% of games) your in the next round but if theres 3 people in the group and you win 2 games (50% of games) you might not be in the next round.
  6. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    07 Mar '06 13:09
    Originally posted by trevor33
    if theres 3 people in the group and you win 2 games (50% of games) you might not be in the next round.
    Under what circumstances wouldn't you advance in this scenario after winning 2 games? Methinks you need to redo your maths.

D
  7. 07 Mar '06 13:23
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Under what circumstances wouldn't you advance in this scenario after winning 2 games? Methinks you need to redo your maths.

D
    3 players

1 vs 2 - they win one each, 3 points for both
    1 vs 3 - they win one each, 3 points for both
    2 vs 3 - player two wins both games and picks up 6 points

player one wins two games but is knocked out by player two who wins three.
  8. 07 Mar '06 20:06
    Originally posted by trevor33
    3 players

1 vs 2 - they win one each, 3 points for both
    1 vs 3 - they win one each, 3 points for both
    2 vs 3 - player two wins both games and picks up 6 points

player one wins two games but is knocked out by player two who wins three.
    2v3 doesn't even need to be totally decisive if one of them gets a win and a draw they would advance and you would not. Then again, if they drew both your games, you could advance with a +2 -2 = 0 score.
  9. 07 Mar '06 23:40
    Originally posted by zebano
    2v3 doesn't even need to be totally decisive if one of them gets a win and a draw they would advance and you would not. Then again, if they drew both your games, you could advance with a +2 -2 = 0 score.
    yep thats true

there hasn't been a duel for ages i think we need a few more