1. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 13:55
    I think it might be fun to have an end game tournament. We already have had some tournaments with a starting position corresponding to a certain opening, but I bet there are some nice end game positions that might be fun to play too in a tournament form. Hopefully this will not lead to too many draws, probably depending on the type of end game positions we start off with.

Before I request a end game tournament to be organised, I think it would be best to determine an end game positions where all participants of the tournament start their games with. I suggest we use this thread to discuss some end game positions and choose which one will be used in a tournament.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    21 Feb '06 17:15
    My biggest problem with the idea is that one could easily copy the actions of another player. This has far less affect in the opening than it does in an endgame. I suppose if it were sufficiently complex, it may work out, but if it's that complex it may actually be a middlegame. good luck
  3. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 16:13
    Come on, this idea can't be that bad?
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Feb '06 23:07
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Come on, this idea can't be that bad?
    It would have to be B + N + K v K endgames. The starting position is irrelevant so all games could start with different positions (possible? ).

Toffee Crisp to all winners.

Walnut whip, if there is only 1 winner.

There would have to be a rating cap on this one, like say 1500 I think.

D
  5. Joined
    07 Apr '03
    Moves
    24 Feb '06 02:09
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    It would have to be B + N + K v K endgames. The starting position is irrelevant so all games could start with different positions (possible? ).

Toffee Crisp to all winners.

Walnut whip, if there is only 1 winner.

There would have to be a rating cap on this one, like say 1500 I think.

D
    Do you mean a min rating of 1500, or a maximum rating of 1500.

Either way, why does there have to be a cap?

Everyone should have a chance to practice end games, especially those with a lower rating.

TT
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:231 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    It would have to be B + N + K v K endgames.
    Just to make sure, you mean one player with a bishop, knight, and a king against a player with a king and queen?
  7. Joined
    07 Apr '03
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:40
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Just to make sure, you mean one player with a bishop, knight, and a king against a player with a king and queen?
    I think he means just a bishop, knight, and king against a lone king

TT
  8. London
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:46
    Originally posted by TimmyToilet
    Do you mean a min rating of 1500, or a maximum rating of 1500.

Either way, why does there have to be a cap?

Everyone should have a chance to practice end games, especially those with a lower rating.

TT
    A rating cap would suggest a maximum rating of 1500
  9. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:00
    Originally posted by TimmyToilet
    [b]I think he means just a bishop, knight, and king against a lone king

TT[/
    What would be the point then? You know the one player with correct play should always win. Rather take a famous and even endgame where one player blundered and see if you can improve on it.
  10. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:39
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    What would be the point then? You know the one player with correct play should always win. Rather take a famous and even endgame where one player blundered and see if you can improve on it.
    the point is not that it would be a good tournament, because inevitably there will never be a sole winner, but that people learn how to play the endgame.

I'd suggest a list of players sign up, and let them play the endgame with the knight and bishop and king versus a stronger player who understands the endgame with a lone king. Let them play the endgame again and again until they understand it. The stronger player can explain the endgame for them if they want.
  11. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 21:05
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    For those of us that are not 1500 (or whatever rating is considered reasonable), we'd have to put in a properly researched performance, which should not be sniffed at.

Some of us would stuff it up anyway 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree