1. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    30 Oct '13 22:19
    What's this nonsense? Who in their right mind, 1800+, wants to play such garbage? Complete waste of time.

Another reason why I'm off

#RHPfail
  2. Joined
    06 Feb '07
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 00:50
    I certainly agree. Foolish idea.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 01:03
    Originally posted by atticus2
    What's this nonsense? Who in their right mind, 1800+, wants to play such garbage? Complete waste of time.

#RHPfail
    I agree 100%.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 09:57

#RHPfail
    I don't understand this thread.
    Surely there's no obligation to enter a tournament?
    If you don't like a particular tournament then don't enter -simple.
  5. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    31 Oct '13 15:271 edit
    Originally posted by venda
    I don't understand this thread.
    Surely there's no obligation to enter a tournament?
    If you don't like a particular tournament then don't enter -simple.
    There is no obligation for sure but the point being made is this:-

It is very difficult to avoid loss playing this system with White, especially against players who make the effort to consult databases and on line articles where lines that almost amount to the refutation of the opening are given. Therefore expecting the strongest players on the site to go beyond the level of acceptable risk and stake their time and their rating points on it shows, how shall we say, that whoever sets the tournaments may not be fully up to date with their chess knowledge. This therefore may be extrapolated to include the idea that even offering the tournament at 1800+ reflects poorly on the site as a serious chess entity. A more charitable view is that at least it gives players the opportunity to prove the Grob's unsoundness once and for all - but you're not going to do it at the expense of these players time or rating points. After all they know that the best they can expect as white is a difficult draw. The games are visible so everyone can see what the refutation lines are and copy them in their own games even if they can't be bothered to do the research themselves. Any die hard fans of the opening will play it in their normal games anyway. Other chess sites offer their Thematic tournaments as unrated for this kind of reason.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    01 Nov '13 14:31
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    There is no obligation for sure but the point being made is this:-

It is very difficult to avoid loss playing this system with White, especially against players who make the effort to consult databases and on line articles where lines that almost amount to the refutation of the opening are given. Therefore expecting the strongest players on the site to g ...[text shortened]... s anyway. Other chess sites offer their Thematic tournaments as unrated for this kind of reason.
    Ok.
    I didn't know such controversial openings even existed, pearticularly ones that are biased towards one side or the other.
    I do know there's a lot of opening theory available online although I dont use it myself.
    Probably why I rarely exceed the 1500's on the rating system!!
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    09 Nov '13 16:591 edit

#RHPfail
    There was another opening, that was for 1800+ that had 2 people for a long time. I don't no if it ever happened. I think it was the Borg. But if I was that rating I would be up for the challenge.

Edit: it was a Gorb's tournament that is on page 21 of tournaments right now. Last June. The highest was 1900+ and it had 5 of 18 entries.
  8. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '13 05:24

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree