How do they pick the pairings in Duel tournaments?

How do they pick the pairings in Duel tournaments?

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
01 Feb 05

The Delta Duel 64 II just started and I was wondering how the pairings were selected. It looks as though the top half of the players (ratings wise) get matched against players from the lower half. Does this happen in all the rounds? And what's the rationale for not having random match ups? (I was hoping a few top players would draw each other!)

Any help appreciated,

Mike

Q
Tovenaar

Dieren

Moves
01 Feb 05

Originally posted by mikenay
The Delta Duel 64 II just started and I was wondering how the pairings were selected. It looks as though the top half of the players (ratings wise) get matched against players from the lower half. Does this happen in all the rounds? And what's the rationale for not having random match ups? (I was hoping a few top players would draw each other!)

Any help appreciated,

Mike
The pairing is original! (1-33, 2-34, 3-35, etc)

Russ, I would like more original paired tournaments!

m
popping in...

Durham, UK

Moves
02 Feb 05

I think they pick someone with a really high rating and then make me play them....😠😠

Pennywise Says Hi

Up from mainstream

Moves
02 Feb 05

Well, you can find the pairing system for each tourny on the tournament list. Original means the top seed plays the bottom seed, and the second seed plays the second to last seed, ect, ect. Random, that would just be random pairings.

-Fatty

Canada

Moves
03 Feb 05

If you have ever played otb? you will know that they usually in the first round place your top seed against the top seed of the lower rated group, so you have two groups, for example, 1600+ and 1600-. therefore your top player plays the top of the 1600- group? why? because it sets the second round up so that there are stronger players matched. Sometimes you get two or so lower players who beat there first match, so it sets up some good underdog matches too, and eventually in the finals you have some amazing opponents matched, unfortunately tournies like this are not set up for the lower player to win, but the already amazing player lol.???? I hope this makes sense.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
04 Feb 05

Originally posted by Fat mans revenge
Well, you can find the pairing system for each tourny on the tournament list. Original means the top seed plays the bottom seed, and the second seed plays the second to last seed, ect, ect. Random, that would just be random pairings.

-Fatty
That's what I *thought* original meant. However it's quite clear from the pairings in the duel that it was 1 plays 33, 2 plays 34 etc down to 32 plays 64.

m

Moves
04 Feb 05

Thanks for the info everyone. I haven't played (or paid much attention to) any otb tournaments so this was new to me. I assume this mean that succesive rounds are decided using the new ratings of the people that progress, meaning a slight change in rating can lead to a significant change in the oppositions strength if you are near the halfway point, are there any guidelines about when the next ties are decided?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
06 Feb 05

Originally posted by ItsYouThatIAdore
If you have ever played otb? you will know that they usually in the first round place your top seed against the top seed of the lower rated group, so you have two groups, for example, 1600+ and 1600-. therefore your top player plays the top of the 1600- group? why? because it sets the second round up so that there are stronger players matched. So ...[text shortened]... up for the lower player to win, but the already amazing player lol.???? I hope this makes sense.
Most OTB tournies I have seen are either roundrobin (everyone plays everyone) or swiss.
In the first round of a swiss the top half of the draw plays the bottom half of the draw. Eg. If there were 60 entrants then 1 plays 31, 2 plays 32 and 30 plays 60.
Then in the following rounds things get more confusing. There are formulas and such. However all you need is a program to work it out for you and you're fine.

Canada

Moves
07 Feb 05

I know, FIDE has just brought in a new program for it, that makes less mistakes and more fair pairings.