Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Standard member mochiron
    The Don
    29 Oct '06 20:26
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    I am really enjoying the King's Gambit, Grunfeld and Semi Slav torunamounts, all openings I had no experience with before but now would be comftable using. Let's have more! Scotch, Ruy (Marshall Attack, Berlin, Steinitz etc seperate tournamounts) Nimzo Indian, various Sicilians and on and on.. The are just such a good learning tool. Bring them on!!
    Hear hear. Second the vote.


    SMAUG..stick this in the Tourney thread...too
  2. Standard member mochiron
    The Don
    29 Oct '06 20:27
    Originally posted by mochiron
    Hear hear. Second the vote.


    SMAUG..stick this in the Tourney thread...too
    Duh. this is the tourney forum... hence my rating.
  3. 29 Oct '06 20:46 / 1 edit
    Anyone tried the Danish Gambit?
  4. Standard member mochiron
    The Don
    29 Oct '06 20:53
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    I remember being kicked repeatedly in the face by a 2000 player on ICC in 3 5 minute games but that was a while back when I was weaker. On RHP I've faced it maybe 4 times and won every game. A tournamount featuring it would be no bad thing though. Bring on tournamounts of all the openings.
    actually. a bird's opening variant would be interesting to me. I use it for white and it makes the game quite different from the hohum... queens/kings/ opening junk....
  5. 30 Oct '06 05:51
    English plus Danish (English = 1. c4)! No Half-Danish stupidity (1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Nxc3 is the Half-Danish) I want the Full Danish! (1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Bc4 cxb2 5. Bxb2).

    Try 'em all! The Grob! The Ware (Crab Variation)! Dunsten Attack (or something)! Woohoo!
  6. 30 Oct '06 21:39
    We need a Latvian tournament! 1 more chance to rise from the grave!
  7. 01 Nov '06 12:27
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    There has been a Bird opening tournie before I believ but many will hav missed out. I'm sure there would be anough interest in another 🙂. It would make a change from playing the usual suspects in usual bland 1700+ tournamounts or whatever band.--
    There have been two bird-themed tournaments.
    Tournament 54 --Birds opening
    Tournament 793 -- From's Gambit

    I'm considering sponsoring another one, after the FG tournment finishes. I just haven't decided which line I want to see played the most.
  8. Standard member mochiron
    The Don
    01 Nov '06 17:49
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    There have been two bird-themed tournaments.
    Tournament 54 --Birds opening
    Tournament 793 -- From's Gambit

    I'm considering sponsoring another one, after the FG tournment finishes. I just haven't decided which line I want to see played the most.
    Well. I like the Bird's opening ...creates a different feel in the middle of hte board and I like the mid-game play.
  9. 01 Nov '06 20:08
    Do you all prefer specific variations or very general ones when entering themed tournaments?

    i.e. which of these is best

    French Defense Tournament
    1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5

    French Defense : 3.Nc3
    1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3

    French Defense, Winawer Variation
    1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4


    Personally, I like the more specific ones, but then you would have to run 15 tournaments to get through all the positions I would like to see.
  10. 03 Nov '06 10:54
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    Damn, missed the enrollment for the Alekhine thematic 🙁
    Must have filled up fast! More proof that thematic tournamounts are popular.
    I made it into that. I rarely play the Alekhine, and haven't faced it much more often, so I was looking forward to getting some more experience of it. This leads to my question: Should themed tournaments have larger groups? I am only second rated in a group of three so I may well go out in the first round, only getting to play the opening twice with each colour. Wouldn't groups of 5 or 6 be better, as this will allow everyone who enters to get a reasonable experience of the opening.
  11. 03 Nov '06 14:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zebano
    Do you all prefer specific variations or very general ones when entering themed tournaments?
    --snip--
    Personally, I like the more specific ones, but then you would have to run 15 tournaments to get through all the positions I would like to see.
    I like the specific variations. What's wrong with having 15+ tournaments of specific variations. Not at the same time obviously.

    That way we will never run out of themed tournaments!
  12. 03 Nov '06 14:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ian68
    I made it into that. I rarely play the Alekhine, and haven't faced it much more often, so I was looking forward to getting some more experience of it. This leads to my question: Should themed tournaments have larger groups? I am only second rated in a group of three so I may well go out in the first round, only getting to play the opening twice with each colou better, as this will allow everyone who enters to get a reasonable experience of the opening.
    I don't like the big groups. Because I don't play my best chess when I have too many games.

    I've taken to ONLY signing up for DUEL tournaments from now on.