My Handicapped Tournament

My Handicapped Tournament

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
13 Jan 09

Definitely more interesting way to play unbalanced games - both of you have to play differently. I've concentrated more than I would normally do, because I actually had a chance to win.

Moves
13 Jan 09

Originally posted by MissOleum
Definitely more interesting way to play unbalanced games - both of you have to play differently. I've concentrated more than I would normally do, because I actually had a chance to win.
that's what i was hoping for in every game, the lower rated player not really trying to win the game outright like duecer did against me but to sit back and see if they can hold off for the handicap win.

R

Moves
15 Jan 09

I was thorughly trounced..... but won with the handicap, just 🙂 Well played Cash. I made a point of playing the game as I would all my others in respect of time taken over moves etc. I never tried to win though just tried to hold on.

I'm not sure if this is the best strategy, maybe it would cause more problems if your opponent has to think about attacking and defending.

Thoughts?

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
16 Jan 09

Originally posted by Roosty
I was thorughly trounced..... but won with the handicap, just 🙂
Thoughts?
I'm surprised you lost. Hell, Roosty's beaten me. Not that I'm all that good, but c'mon. Did I miss something or was there only 200 points between Roosty and cashthetrash? Isn't that considered for all intents and purposes within the margin of error or were you all out of Goliaths? 🙂

Out of curiosity, how many moves was the handicap in the game?

Moves
16 Jan 09

Originally posted by sbacat
Out of curiosity, how many moves was the handicap in the game?
cashthetrash - 1600 vs Roosty - 1220 31 moves

Game 5851088

Moves
16 Jan 09

i really wasn't sure what cash's rating should be because he was at 1500 at the time i worked out the ratings but he had spend so much time at 1700. thought the middle 1600 would be fair but looking at the game maybe it was a little harsh but it was a very close handicap. if it was 1500 and there was 36 moves for mate cash would've won.

things to learn for next time.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
16 Jan 09

I'm the lower rated player in my game with Coquette, and she'll mate in 2 moves, but it's too late, so it's a win for me. 🙂
It was a good fun game with MissOleum, and very close to mating in time. Good fun attacking game!

Eddie's Dad

Raving Mad

Moves
16 Jan 09

Originally posted by trev33
i really wasn't sure what cash's rating should be because he was at 1500 at the time i worked out the ratings but he had spend so much time at 1700. thought the middle 1600 would be fair.
I didn't notice cash's recent ratings slide. That happens so much to most of us (at least it's not just me) I should have realized that before asking. Sorry.

Are we getting close to the end of round one, or do you still have some stalled games? If there's anything I can do to help pitch in, either as a David or a Goliath, I'd be happy to help out.

Steve

Moves
17 Jan 09

Originally posted by sbacat
I didn't notice cash's recent ratings slide. That happens so much to most of us (at least it's not just me) I should have realized that before asking. Sorry.

Are we getting close to the end of round one, or do you still have some stalled games? If there's anything I can do to help pitch in, either as a David or a Goliath, I'd be happy to help out.

Steve
well there's 5 matches left but 2 of them haven't been started yet because of people that seem to have disappeared, if they don't show up by monday i'm going to get a couple of people to fill their place. the other 3 games are started but are moving quite slowly. saying that i'm hoping it won't take much longer than a month for the games to finish.

M

Moves
19 Jan 09

Please give us a list so that we can watch too.

If you don't have a supply of candidates to fill the round, perhaps you could offer a close loser a second chance.

J

Moves
19 Jan 09

I'll fill in if you need someone.

T

ALG

Moves
19 Jan 09

Originally posted by Jasen777
I'll fill in if you need someone.
😏

Moves
19 Jan 09

Please give us a list so that we can watch too.

If you don't have a supply of candidates to fill the round, perhaps you could offer a close loser a second chance.
i'll send you a list in an PM, i don't want to post them in public in case people start discussing them while in progress. anyone else who wants to watch them can sent me an PM and i'll pass them along.

T

ALG

Moves
19 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by trev33
i'll send you a list in an PM, i don't want to post them in public in case people start discussing them while in progress. anyone else who wants to watch them can sent me an PM and i'll pass them along.
Can you make a table in your profile? (I love tables 😛)

Moves
19 Jan 09

Originally posted by Thomaster
Can you make a table in your profile? (I love tables 😛)
WooT!! and take away my puppy story? mAdness, mAdness i say 😛

i might do something when the round is over in my profile...i'll see.