1. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 18:37
    Originally posted by Yuga
    6. Bg5 induces the ...e6 lines and you can obtain a Scheveninegen type position.

Here is an intriguing game in the English attack. 13. Na4 may have led to a line less drawish than the one in the game that occurs if Black plays 15...a4 and if white plays 17. Nxa4. Had either deviated from playing the two moves just stated, the game would have been theoretically interesting...

Game 2284803 franz007at-jimster 1/2-1/2
    Yes the Bg5 lines look like a lot of fun, I got the starting out book just to give me a basis and now I am thinking of checking out Nunn's book on the Bg5 variations, anyone have it?
  2. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 19:06
    Originally posted by mcreynolds
    Yes the Bg5 lines look like a lot of fun, I got the starting out book just to give me a basis and now I am thinking of checking out Nunn's book on the Bg5 variations, anyone have it?
    Yeah I have it!

Other good books on the Najdorf include:

Winning with The Najdorf (King)
    Complete Najdorf 6.Bg5 (Nunn)
    Complete Najdorf Modern Lines (Nunn & Gallagher)
    Easy Guide to the Najdorf (Kosten)
    Play the Najdorf Scheveningen style (Emms)
    Starting Out the Najdorf (Palliser)
    Mastering the Najdorf (Arizmendi/Moreno)
    The Sharpest Sicilian (Georgiev/Kolev)

The first book............ah my first book on the Najdorf and one of the best opening books I ever read, really good intorduction to the Najdorf and the book I learned the Najdorf from. Insterestingly he recommends the 6.f4 Qc7 approach with the later K-side fianchetto.....which you don't see in any other Najdorf repertoire book, shame as i rather like this method of defence.

The two Nunn books give complete lines with both White & Black and thier only problem is they may be slightly out of date!

The Kosten & Palliser books are good for beginners and give the basic plans/ideas whist are not overly theoretical. I prefer the Palliser book as it is more recent and more comprehensive (e.g. Kosten doesn't talk about the 6.Be3 Ng4 lines only 6.Be3 e5 lines).

Play the Najdorf Scheveningen Style is a repertiore book and one of my favourites and follows the tree system of analysis, however it does not cover 6...e5 lines onlt lines with 6...e6 transposing to a Scheveningen after 6.f4, 6.Be2, 6.Be3 an 6.g3.....which I like to play sometimes as achange to the usual 6...e5 lines. He recommends 6.Bc4 e6 7.Bb3 b5 in the Fischer Attack and 6.Bg5 e6 7.f4 Qc7 in the Old Main Line.

Mastering the Najdorf is again a repertiore book but does not folllow the tree system as Emms book does but follows the whole game approach. The authors here recommend 6...e5 to nearly all white 6th moves except 6.Bc4 where they recommend the sharp 6.Bc4 e6 7.Bb3 Nbd7 system and the same 7...Qc7 system against 6.Bg5 T.he Old Main Line.

The Sharpest Sicilian is the newest book on the market covering the Najdorf. It recommends the 6...e5 approach to 6.f4, 6.Be2 and 6.Be3, 6...e6 against 6.g3, the authors recommend the same approach to 6.Bc4 as the Emms book with 7...b5 and The Poisoned Pawn against 6.Bg5. The approach to writting is quite different. For every one of White's 6th moves there is a chapter with a quick overview on the theory, then a more detailed chapter of the theory and a chapter of recent complete games.

Sorry for the rant but hopefully someone may have found it remotely useful.

As well as me giving away some of my trade secrets!
  3. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 19:42
    Thanks najdorfslayer, I will probably buying an additional najdorf book sometime soon to go with Pallister's and will keep your opinions in mind.
  4. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 16:181 edit
    Only 7 more slots to fill in this prestigous tournament.....Who is going to be king in the king off all chess openings!!
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '07 18:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberLekZ
    Why am I here?
    Moves
    10 Aug '07 12:22
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    You call that a tough draw? How on earth will I survive round 1... 😉 Game 3900875 .. Game 3900876

But actually, it's a great draw, because I always say: "The best way to learn chess is to play against someone who is better than you"

I've included the books mentioned by najdorfslayer on my wish list, my birthday is coming up, so 😵

Good luck to all competitors!!
  7. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '07 12:302 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    10 Aug '07 13:56
    I must say I feel a bit outclassed in this draw, but I've got an opponent in the 100-200 points above me range where I like to play.

These two games
    Game 3900883
    Game 3900884

Should be worth watching.
  9. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    11 Aug '07 10:45
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Story of my life on this site!😕
  10. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    12 Aug '07 21:55
    My opponent has dropped something like 600 points in the last day
  11. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 08:33
    Aha!!

You are playing the infamous Heng!!

You have nothing to gain here really, if you win you gain no rating points if you lose you lose loads, he is a pretty good player too, just plays too many games!
  12. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 19:521 edit
    Well hopefully by the end of the games his rating will be back up were it belongs. He's back up to 1100 now. Go Heng!! Just have to make sure I dont lose quickly, Good thing both games are the Bg5 lines, they aren't sharp or anything right?😉
  13. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    14 Aug '07 08:32
    Well hopefully by the end of the games his rating will be back up were it belongs. He's back up to 1100 now. Go Heng!! Just have to make sure I dont lose quickly, Good thing both games are the Bg5 lines, they aren't sharp or anything right?😉
    Your kidding!!

6.Bg5 is argubly one of the sharpest responses to the Najdorf!
  14. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    14 Aug '07 18:00
    Yeah I was being scarcastic.
  15. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 19:47
    Yeah I was being scarcastic.
    Sorry :'(

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree