1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Jul '03 14:23
    Just to clear something up, does everyone here want all tournaments from this point on to be random?

This will include all remaining rounds on existing tournaments.

I see no reason why not, but if you have a problem with this, please post here to express your views and discuss.

-Russ

[BTW - I may write a tournaments Version 2 at some point, as some have requested, which will allow progression before earlier rounds are completed. Obviously then only the initial draw will be random, but I digress.]
  2. Joined
    20 Feb '02
    Moves
    08 Jul '03 14:48
    Originally posted by Russ
    Just to clear something up, does everyone here want all tournaments from this point on to be random?

I see no reason why not, but if you have a problem with this, please post here to express your views and discuss.

-Russ

[BTW - I may write a tournaments Version 2 at some point, as so ...[text shortened]... er rounds are completed. Obviously then only the initial draw will be random, but I digress.]
    Russ,

Fine by me, I still will not win one but I would feel I had more of a shot 😀

Andrew
  3. Donationlegionnaire
    Free Thinker
    New York City
    Moves
    08 Jul '03 17:48
    Maybe we should have one or two "trial tournaments" to see what we think before we commit completely one way or the other. How is it done in OTB tournaments? I've never played in one.

-mike
  4. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    08 Jul '03 18:411 edit
    Originally posted by legionnaire
    Maybe we should have one or two "trial tournaments" to see what we think before we commit completely one way or the other. How is it done in OTB tournaments? I've never played in one.

-mike
    I agree. Let's have a couple of trial tournaments and see what happens, before totally changing over to this method.

I've played in a lot of OTB tournaments and none used random pairings!

But it will be interesting to see how it works out. 🙂

Dave

5. DonationLuck
    TEA PARTY MEMBER
    St Maarten, Neth Ant
    Moves
    09 Jul '03 02:44

-Russ

[BTW - I may write a tournaments Version 2 at some point, as so ...[text shortened]... er rounds are completed. Obviously then only the initial draw will be random, but I digress.]
    Russ,
    Would it be difficult to have both?
    What about state in advance that the tournament is random or that it is not a random tournament. I think another important issue is to start the second round games as soon as possible.
    I believe that it would be nice to have the choice, of course, I would select the random. Because then the less knowledgeable players, like me, have a chance to make it to the second round. Of course, I would prefer to play any of the top 20 players because most of them would not play "poor" players like me.
    I will try to improve my rating beginning next month.

Sincerely,

Harri / Luck
  6. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    09 Jul '03 03:41
    I vote for random.
    How are the pairings done now?
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Jul '03 08:27
    Ok, I will try to add the random pairings as an option. And then run the two types in parallel.

But I think I need to rewrite the tournaments from the ground up to support what is really wanted, and that may take some time. (But it will be quite an interesting challenge...)

-Russ

8. DonationLuck
    TEA PARTY MEMBER
    St Maarten, Neth Ant
    Moves
    10 Jul '03 04:19
    Ok, I will try to add the random pairings as an option. And then run the two types in parallel.

But I think I need to rewrite the tournaments from the ground up to support what is really wanted, and that may take some time. (But it will be quite an interesting challenge...)

-Russ

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Donationwillatkins
    Frustrated...
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '03 20:51

-Russ

Russ,

Another suggestion...(like you don't get enough already)

How about 3 types:

1. The standard "best vs. worse". I like these because I feel that playing against higher ranking players helps my game.

2. Random.

3. Upper and Lower Division. Create a "cut line" based on the median of all pawnstars. Above a certain rank, you can enter this tourney, below that rank, you can enter the lower division. Sounds good, but I don't know what kind of work goes into the whole enchilada. I can touch type, but I can't touch type code...

Later,

Bill
  10. St Albans
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 13:25
    Originally posted by willatkins
    Russ,

Another suggestion...(like you don't get enough already)

How about 3 types:

1. The standard "best vs. worse". I like these because I feel that playing against higher ranking players helps my game.

2. Random.

3. Upper and Lower Division. Create a "cut line" based on the median of all pawnstars. Above a certain rank, you can ...[text shortened]... s into the whole enchilada. I can touch type, but I can't touch type code...

Later,

Bill
    Random tournaments have arrived! Fantastic, feels like the FA cup... I think mixing up the type of tournaments is the best idea, although also have no idea whether or not this is a technical headache..
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 13:33
    It turned out to be OK in the end. (I hope I am not speaking too soon there) 🙂

-Russ
  12. DonationLuck
    TEA PARTY MEMBER
    St Maarten, Neth Ant
    Moves
    13 Jul '03 15:22
    It turned out to be OK in the end. (I hope I am not speaking too soon there) 🙂

-Russ
    Thanks Russ,
    I love this adea!

Harri / Luck

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree