1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 19:35
    Originally posted by Drew L
    Wouldn't a quick fix just be to increase the amount of time your highest rating stands from 100 to 365 days. That alone would stop most sandbaggers would it not?
    That's what was originally implemented. Read the first couple of pages of Thread 58392 to see why it was changed from 365 to 100.

Also, how does that solve problem 1 as outlined in my previous post?

D
  2. Joined
    01 May '07
    Moves
    13 Feb '08 20:26
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    That's what was originally implemented. Read the first couple of pages of Thread 58392 to see why it was changed from 365 to 100.

Also, how does that solve problem 1 as outlined in my previous post?

D
    Interesting. The 365 day highest rating was before my time.

1) To solve problem 1 just make a rule where no one who has completed less than 50 (or any number deemed reasonable) can join banded tournaments.

2) I think another way to stop sandbaggers would be to make your tournament entry rating the average rating you have had since the day you signed up.
  3. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 06:14
    Is problem 1 really a problem though?

I would have no problem with a person improving throughout a tournament. That person's rating was a true reflection at the time he or she entered the tournament.

Its the people that have been way above the band before and then dropping dramatically that are the problem.

One would wish these people would have the decency not to join in but, all people are different I guess.

Personally I can't understand why people would want to "cheat" with engines and sandbagging. Its not like your RHP rating attracts women.

Or, if it does in your circle, maybe you need to get out a bit more.
  4. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 20:51
    Another example:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=79570

This guy has a 1070 tournament rating but had played his way to an 1850 previously. Why the hell would I enter a 0-1099 banded tournament with him in it?
  5. Joined
    20 May '04
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 20:55
    Here's another idea: why not make another category of tournament called "Absolute Banded" which uses the all-time high rating of each player to determine entry.

All the cruddy players like myself could then enjoy competition without the fear of getting crushed by a sandbagger.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    17 Feb '08 22:34
    Originally posted by RDM
    Is problem 1 really a problem though?

I would have no problem with a person improving throughout a tournament. That person's rating was a true reflection at the time he or she entered the tournament.

Its the people that have been way above the band before and then dropping dramatically that are the problem.
    Whether you personally have a problem with it or not is pretty irrelevant.

Surely, the optimal is to have players playing in the correct bands, so that the tournaments aren't ruined for the rest of the properly placed participants.

Just because there are no rules being broken doesn't mean that the system is working as it should. I mean if Kasparov joined tomorrow, his only (banded) option would be to play in a low band, whereas my proposal would place him in a band more suited to his skill level.

We're not talking about players improving during a tournament, we're talking about players who's rating is on the rise, and hasn't reached it's true level yet.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree