1. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    06 May '10 11:35
    In a tournament I'm taking part in, one player has resigned in all of his games without moving in any of them. Seeing his game-load, I can understand why. What I find curious is that none of the games show up in his game stats, and it doesn't seem to have affected his or the other players' ratings. Is resigning without moving in a tournament not penalised as in other games. I know that you cannot hit the " dustbin " icon in tournament games, as you can in others in the first couple of moves, but I always assumed that resigning carried a penalty.
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    06 May '10 17:28
    Originally posted by acb123
    In a tournament I'm taking part in, one player has resigned in all of his games without moving in any of them. Seeing his game-load, I can understand why. What I find curious is that none of the games show up in his game stats, and it doesn't seem to have affected his or the other players' ratings. Is resigning without moving in a tournament not penalised as ...[text shortened]... others in the first couple of moves, but I always assumed that resigning carried a penalty.
    It will just show up as a lost game. Less than 3 moves and it doesn't affect their rating.

Personally I think all losses should affect ratings which may stop people starting games they have no intention of playing.
  3. Joined
    18 May '10
    Moves
    18 May '10 22:15
    let me join and win
  4. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    09 Jul '10 14:15
    A good example would be the protest by Jankrb of the participation of AlexSep--- in every 1800+ tourney he can find to pollute. AS's rating is 1300 something, while his skill is really about 1650-1700. But sometime in the past year or so he managed to hit 1916, so that 'entitles' him. Jankrb is playing everybody in one ongoing effort except AlexSep-, and good for Jankrb, I say. Point made one way or the other.
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 11:40
    Originally posted by joesheppe
    A good example would be the protest by Jankrb of the participation of AlexSep--- in every 1800+ tourney he can find to pollute. AS's rating is 1300 something, while his skill is really about 1650-1700. But sometime in the past year or so he managed to hit 1916, so that 'entitles' him. Jankrb is playing everybody in one ongoing effort except AlexSep-, and good for Jankrb, I say. Point made one way or the other.
    The protest is futile, by resigning games he gives that player an immediate 2 game advantage over every other player.

He would be better off beating the player.

If the ratings floors that many players are calling for came into play then the player would always be within the higher rating, regardless of their current rating.

The good thing is that although AlexSep- rating has fallen he is unable to "pollute" the lower rated tournaments.
  6. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 15:29
    Originally posted by adramforall
    The protest is futile, by resigning games he gives that player an immediate 2 game advantage over every other player.

He would be better off beating the player.

If the ratings floors that many players are calling for came into play then the player would always be within the higher rating, regardless of their current rating.

The good thing is ...[text shortened]... hat although AlexSep- rating has fallen he is unable to "pollute" the lower rated tournaments.
    I didn't enter that tournement only to win the tournement. I wanted to play some
    good games and earn some ratingpoints.

AlexSep is a 1800+ player, so he can beat me. Now, while his rating is more than 800 points below mine, he gets the maximum in case of a win and I will lose the maximum. In case of a loss I wouldn't get anything, so would have played for nothing.
    I have a big gameload and don't like to play for nothing.
    So that's why I gave up those two games.

Jan.
  7. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 18:03
    ...but AlexSep is a weak player. Jankrb would kick his butt like von Bommel & de Jong 😛
  8. Subscriberjankrb
    Conductor
    Zwolle
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 18:10
    Originally posted by atticus2
    ...but AlexSep is a weak player. Jankrb would kick his butt like von Bommel & de Jong 😛
    Van Bommel & de Jong didn't kick too hard.
    Otherwise we would have been worldchampion.... 😀
  9. Standard memberadim
    Brian Hugh Warner
    On top
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 05:22
    Originally posted by jankrb
    Van Bommel & de Jong didn't kick too hard.
    Otherwise we would have been worldchampion.... 😀
    Not to mention Van Persie and Sneijder...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree