Schliemann tournament

Schliemann tournament

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Moonchester

Blue Moon

Moves
01 Jan 07

I was pleased to see a tournament for Schliemann variation of Ruy Lopez - an opening variation I have played on and off for years - with varying degrees of success!!

Anyway, I just wandered how this variation has come to be called Schliemann on such a consistent basis....

The line was first published (to my knowledge) by Karl Andreyevich Jaenisch in the frech magazine Le Palamede in 1847.....

The German player, Schliemann, is only credited wiht ever suggesting f5 as a 4th move for black after the sequence

1. e4, e5
2, Nf3, Nc6
3. Bb5, Bc5
4. 0-0, f5

Thanks
Chris

PS I look forward to being put in my place if my knowledge of the variation is incorrect!!!

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
01 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Cityblue
I was pleased to see a tournament for Schliemann variation of Ruy Lopez - an opening variation I have played on and off for years - with varying degrees of success!!

Anyway, I just wandered how this variation has come to be called Schliemann on such a consistent basis....

The line was first published (to my knowledge) by Karl Andreyevich Jaenisch in t ...[text shortened]... s

PS I look forward to being put in my place if my knowledge of the variation is incorrect!!!
I have never played it but the ideas behing 4. .. f5 appeal to my style and this may become my response to the RL if the tournament goes well.

t
Back home

England

Moves
04 Jan 07

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
I have never played it but the ideas behing 4. .. f5 appeal to my style and this may become my response to the RL if the tournament goes well.
sorry for a silly question, what's RL? The Schliemann's a fun type of opening, suited to correspondence chess since the tactics can get quite heavy going at times. Bash or be bashed, a bit like the sicilian dragon, just a tad dodgier! Love it! 🙂

SS

Moves
04 Jan 07

t
Back home

England

Moves
04 Jan 07

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Cheers! I knew it was silly...! 😵 Maybe you should consider a second alias (aka Roy Lopez, SS -sicilianschliemann) should the tourney work out allright for you!

SS

Moves
05 Jan 07

t
Back home

England

Moves
05 Jan 07

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Troy Lopez! Great name!

Yes, the Schliemann's out of most folks' comfort zone (including mine) on both sides, I must say. That's the point of it I guess, much like the Latvian! Now that's too much for me.