1. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 07:371 edit
    Originally posted by leisurelysloth
    Are we gonna play some chess? Or just talk about it?!
    What he said!
  2. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    04 Jan '07 15:451 edit
    Originally posted by Yuga
    I'm ready. Let's get it going. 🙂
    Yeah, what he said! 😉
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 00:30
    Current Standings:
    1. XanthosNZ 3/4
    3. Leisurelysloth 3/4
    3. Yuga 3/4
    4. seraphimvulture 2/4
    5. GambitAccepted 1/4
    6. zebano 0/4

So we have 1 v 2, 3 v 4 and 5 v 6 (I don't think any of those combinations have played each other yet).

XanthosNZ - Leisurelysloth
    bkrrqbnn/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/BKRRQBNN w - - 0 1

Yuga - seraphimvulture
    bbrqknrn/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/BBRQKNRN w - - 0 1

GambitAccepted - zebano
    bbrqrnkn/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/BBRQRNKN w - - 0 1

As before I will likely be playing 3/14 but anything that you feel you can finish in an equivilent amount of time and is agreed on by both players is fine.

Two games (one white, one black) of course (I think I forgot to mention this in the PMs).
  4. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 18:15
    Why dont you post the pgn of the games Xanthy, go to edit --> copy game
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 23:33
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Why dont you post the pgn of the games Xanthy, go to edit --> copy game
    PGN contains the moves of a game. FEN contains the position. These have to FEN because they aren't possible to reach via normal moves from the standard starting position.
    So are you asking why I don't post the fen diagrams? Mostly because I can only post one per post and anyway, the people that matter will be seeing the position for themselves soon enough (or if you can read FEN you can see what it is, the first line is the backrank from left to right).
    Or are you asking me to do something else entirely?
    In conclusion, you can't form a question correctly.

Here are my games:
    Game 3003004
    Game 3003000
  6. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    14 Jan '07 21:091 edit
    Here are my games with seraphimvulture.

Game 3025164
    Game 3025166

Rather nice of XanthosNZ to choose a position with the King in the center. 😠 😉

We're playing 7/7 time controls; we otherwise would not make the time controls.
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 16:24
    GambitAccepted vrs Zebano

Game 3029087
    Game 3029091
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 16:48

Game 3029087 1-0
    Game 3029091 1-0
  9. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 18:352 edits
    Originally posted by zebano

Game 3029087 1-0
    Game 3029091 1-0
    Wow, that was fast. And I've yet to make my first move. 😞 Interesting final position in your game as white.

Edit: First move made. 🙂 Will try to move a bit faster in the hope that everybody doesn't grow too old between rounds. 😉
  10. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 19:39
    Wow, that was fast. And I've yet to make my first move. 😞 Interesting final position in your game as white.

Edit: First move made. 🙂 Will try to move a bit faster in the hope that everybody doesn't grow too old between rounds. 😉
    Yeah I created them as 7/14s then asked if I should can them and remake them as 3/x. Gambit said we're two very fast players, don't bother and he was quite right.

In the first game, I think 3... b3 allowing 4. d5 giving white both a spatial plus and two very good bishops was bad but to follow it up with 4... d6 locking in blacks bishops was simply too slow though 4. ...e6 allow 5. d6. My exchange sac on move 11 was a lot of fun. I found lots of good variations but no definite mate. I reasoned that since all my pieces (minus the f1 knight which guarded my other rook) would then be developed against blacks weak kingside. Once the g pawn fell, I knew I had the win.

The other game was simply atrocious. I was so focused on how to release my bishops that I didn't notice that I was about to drop an exchange. After that, it just went from bad to worse.
  11. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 22:44
    In the first game, I think 3... b[6] allowing 4. d5 giving white both a spatial plus and two very good bishops was bad but to follow it up with 4... d6 locking in blacks bishops was simply too slow though 4. ...e6 allow 5. d6.exchange sac on move 11.good variations but no definite mate. all my pieces developed against blacks weak kingside.other game went from bad to worse.
    The starting position in your games with GambitAccepted is identical to the start position in my prior games with GambitAccepted except the e file rook and d file queen were switched. (The start position in my games with seraphimvulture is the same as in yours except the R on the g-file and and the K on the e-file.)

Yes, those bishops are immediately primed on the opposing King. Wow, in the first game, those Black bishops look horrible. 4...e6 looks good because if 5. d6 5...Rc6 wins the pawn. Very easy to discard 4...e6 though, and if not for that, it appears difficult for Black to untangle his pieces. Anyway, 3...cxd4 looks much better because after d5 the Black's light squred bishop is pretty bad (also Black could later attack the B/Qd4 w tempo), and White may keep the pawn on d5 for a long while, as the d5 pawn may be reinforced by e4 as in the game. After d6, those Bishops are totally shut out of the game, but likely the only way Black thought he could activate his Q and N. Perhaps Black was lost even after 4...d6; it's very easy to lose early in shuffle chess, as the pieces are better developed than in regular chess (R's centralized, B's on long diagonals, K's in the corner). Shuffle chess is may be more drawish, I think, as the rooks may be traded easily, but players may struggle greatly dealing with the opening positions.

The rook lift/exchange sac were great ideas; you played logically, no mistakes. Qh4-g5-d8 didn't help Black (perhaps develop the other N after closing the center). 8...exd5 opening both bishop lanes for white outright loses; e5 temporarily closes the lanes. After the exchange sac, it's over, white has all his pieces aimed at the K, and Black has no defense. Maybe there is a forced mate in there; if not Black will probably have to give up the Q, etc...

The other game:
    Recommend 2...dxe betting the GA gambits the d pawn which you may accept too. After Qxd white may develop w/tempo as in the game. Then 4...Qd8 though abject may be best, or safest. Then you went down the exchange, and then again on tactics; Well, at least GAccepted had a good game to compensate for the other one. 🙂
  12. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    20 Jan '07 16:141 edit
    It's very easy to lose early in shuffle chess, as the pieces are better developed than in regular chess (R's centralized, B's on long diagonals, K's in the corner). Shuffle chess is may be more drawish, I think, as the rooks may be traded easily, but players may struggle greatly dealing with the opening positions. 🙂
    Due to the combined factors of the symmetry and better developed pieces, shuffle chess is likely easier to draw. Generating imbalances requires more creativity.

Zoltan Varga vs Alexander Morozevich (Here's a crazy shuffle chess game, probably FischerRandom, but there was no castling in this game.)

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1444717

Leko and Adams demonstrate how to make FischerRandom as boring as possible by drawing both games (at least in not under 20 (or 30) moves):

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1240651
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1240653
  13. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    22 Jan '07 12:44
    Due to the combined factors of the symmetry and better developed pieces, shuffle chess is likely easier to draw. Generating imbalances requires more creativity.

Zoltan Varga vs Alexander Morozevich (Here's a crazy shuffle chess game, probably FischerRandom, but there was no castling in this game.)

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1444717

L ...[text shortened]... chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1240651
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1240653
    Thanks for the links. I didn't realize chessgames.com had shufflechess games in their db.
  14. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    22 Jan '07 13:13
    Thanks for the links. I didn't realize chessgames.com had shufflechess games in their db.
    Interestingly earlier in this tournament I started in a position of a game I had in my database.
  15. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 21:491 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Interestingly earlier in this tournament I started in a position of a game I had in my database.
    How far did you follow that game?

Nevermind, it was answered in your original post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree