Tournaments Forum

Tournaments Forum

  1. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Joined
    15 Aug '07
    Moves
    19284
    29 Jan '16 19:00
    Hey folks -- do you want to know one way in which to secure for yourself a high rating? Answer: Time-out your opponents! Don't come here to play chess. Come here to inflate your rating.
    This jackass timed out our two games at 8 and 11 moves respectively. Now some of you have played me and have seen me here for years, and know that I am not known for slow play. Work and/or health can play havoc with that record, and it did for me. Several players waited for me to recover. They are here to play chess.
  2. Standard memberSteve45
    Mozart
    liverpool
    Joined
    24 May '12
    Moves
    29858
    31 Jan '16 11:47
    Originally posted by joesheppe
    Hey folks -- do you want to know one way in which to secure for yourself a high rating? Answer: Time-out your opponents! Don't come here to play chess. Come here to inflate your rating.
    This jackass timed out our two games at 8 and 11 moves respectively. Now some of you have played me and have seen me here for years, and know that I am not known for slow ...[text shortened]... ecord, and it did for me. Several players waited for me to recover. They are here to play chess.
    Time is part of the game. If it wasn't, then we would'nt have time controls. You didn't move in time, and so you lost. All I can say is get over it, and next time make sure you move in time.
  3. SubscriberTheBigKat
    Editor
    Joined
    17 Jul '11
    Moves
    36853
    31 Jan '16 19:07
    Originally posted by Steve45
    Time is part of the game. If it wasn't, then we would'nt have time controls. You didn't move in time, and so you lost. All I can say is get over it, and next time make sure you move in time.
    mihai52 has won 787 games to timeouts!!!!!
  4. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Joined
    15 Aug '07
    Moves
    19284
    01 Feb '16 04:56
    You don't get it, Steve. We're here to play and enjoy playing the game. We're not here to pad our ratings into infinity. Check out TheBigCat's rating. Do you believe he is that strong? I frankly don't. He's a charlatan, and he collects points any way he can to puff himself up. Many of us know better. That's truth, too.
  5. SubscriberTheBigKat
    Editor
    Joined
    17 Jul '11
    Moves
    36853
    03 Feb '16 01:14
    Originally posted by joesheppe
    You don't get it, Steve. We're here to play and enjoy playing the game. We're not here to pad our ratings into infinity. Check out TheBigCat's rating. Do you believe he is that strong? I frankly don't. He's a charlatan, and he collects points any way he can to puff himself up. Many of us know better. That's truth, too.
    Why don't you take up knitting. That way you can take ALL the time you need.
  6. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Joined
    15 Aug '07
    Moves
    19284
    03 Feb '16 19:43
    Charlatan. Poseur.
  7. UK
    Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    29915
    26 Feb '16 14:18
    So Joe, for what reason did you claim your own time out wins?
  8. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Joined
    15 Aug '07
    Moves
    19284
    08 Mar '16 03:551 edit
    The few I have claimed were only done after it looked like my opponent was not planning to move again after most of the game had been played -- perhaps because he had a poor position.
    But I've always given my opponents a lot of rope because it should be about the game, not the rating points. There's not an excuse in the world for BigCat's behavior. Timing out an opponent is not a rule. It's usually an act that players resort to when they don't think they have a good chance to win a game by superior play. In over-the-board play, it is done for the same reason, and also to save energy. We don't need to do that here with these time controls.
  9. UK
    Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    29915
    22 Mar '16 14:17
    If you don't want to get timed out then don't run out of time ( or book vacation)
Back to Top