1. Joined
    29 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 May '07 07:04
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Entering as a former 1400+ player even before reaching 1700?
    And such an sudden increase? I am not buying it. The level must have been in there.
    I am still in the first round of two tournaments currently. 1300-1400 banded, just barely made it in. I'm nearly 1500, and will top that shortly with the games I have in queue.

I've never had a rating before but I would've estimated somewhere around 1300-1400 (in RHP terms, have no idea OTB) would have been accurrate when I started.

The fact is, I've gotten better. Significantly so since I've started playing here. What am I to do? Throw my games to my lesser opponents? Why have a rating at all if I can't be proud it's gone up due to my hard work and chess study. I hope and believe that 6 months from now I'll top 1600.

Is it despicable those that toss games to get into a banded tournament at far below there level? of course, but recognize that this is not always the case. Not to mention that simply one glance at their game history makes it obvious which is which.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 May '07 16:48
    Originally posted by Sickboy
    I am still in the first round of two tournaments currently. 1300-1400 banded, just barely made it in. I'm nearly 1500, and will top that shortly with the games I have in queue.

I've never had a rating before but I would've estimated somewhere around 1300-1400 (in RHP terms, have no idea OTB) would have been accurrate when I started.

The fact is, ...[text shortened]... to mention that simply one glance at their game history makes it obvious which is which.
    Yes, but your rating isn't that significantly above the band. More or less everyone's rating wobbles around with a variation of 100 or 200 points, so people are going to exceed the upper band or dip beneath the lower band. What people are complaining about is players whose natural rating is more than 400 higher than the top level of the band for the tournament they have entered. You are also relatively new to the site and it takes around a hundred games for your rating to really reflect your playing strength - so it's not entirely surprising.

btw. That 400 figure was chosen fairly arbitrarily, it's just that it's outside the amount you'd expect someone's rating to vary by under normal circumstances and is part of the way the rating system is defined (it corresponds to an average result of 90% ) - I don't think someone who is 350 over the upper band has an excuse either.
  3. Standard memberdweezil
    Canuck savant
    Moves
    02 May '07 18:472 edits
    Originally posted by dweezil
    How would you like to be in group 2 in this tournament? Tournament 1559

User 231289 is 540 points over in a 1300-1400 tournament.

What a waste of time for the rest!
    Speedcake was fortunate enough to pick up a timeout win against penpal33 and now has a chance to advance with penpal33. Too bad xpert and bsquared never got that chance.

Here's another user User 111237 in the same (Amandus Grouped Random 1300-1400) Tournament 1559 tournament that is a classic example of how to pick up some tournament wins. This graph should be in the faq.

A rating high of 1770 at the beginning of this year. Was rated 1600+ 5 months before joining and winning this tournament: Sep '06 Grand Split 3/14 0-1200 Tournament 1468

Working hard to advance to round 3 in the Broad Banded Quartets II 0-1200 Tournament 1389 Have a look at Pinstripe User 97139 there as well, he appears to be using the same methods to collect tournament wins.

Got to round 2 of this one: Iulianus Grouped Random 1400-1500
    Tournament 1588

Just waiting for round 3 to start in Proculus Grouped Random 0-1200
    Tournament 1522

And waiting for round 3 in the Sep '06 7/14 Banded Duel II 0-1200 as well. Tournament 1465 Could end up meeting Pinstripe here.

Waiting to advance to final round of Amandus Grouped Random II 1300-1400 Tournament 1563

Waiting for round 2 to finish in Oct '06 Banded Threesomes II 1200-1300 Tournament 1545

All these lower rated tournaments this guy is in, and he still manages to occasionally beat someone like Quirine Game 2868548

Any predictions on how many more tournament wins rossoboy will get this year?😛
  4. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    03 May '07 12:19
    Originally posted by dweezil
    Speedcake was fortunate enough to pick up a timeout win against penpal33 and now has a chance to advance with penpal33. Too bad xpert and bsquared never got that chance.

Here's another user User 111237 in the same (Amandus Grouped Random 1300-1400) Tournament 1559 tournament that is a classic example of how to pick up some tournament wins. This ...[text shortened]... 548[/gid]

Any predictions on how many more tournament wins rossoboy will get this year?😛
    Its just sad that some higher rated individuals need the tournie wins against us mere mortals.

Maybe time for some new variant to add to the tournaments you can enter will stop this.

Something like you cannot enter a banded tournament where the lowest banded rating is say 200/250/300 less than your highest ever rating.

This would stop these 1700/1800 rated timeout cowboys coming back and entering tounaments way below their ability.

It would mean that a rated tournament for 1450-1550 players could not be spoiled by an 1700 or 1800 rated timeout comboy as their highest rating was 200 more than the minimum rated entry.

It could affect people with rating spikes such as myself (highest ever rating 1505) would mean I could not enter tournaments such as a 1250-1400) as my highest rating is 200+ more than the lowest rating.

Such is life and if it prevents some sad individual trying to get a cheap tournie win then it gets my vote.

Think I will stick this in site ideas as well.

😉
  5. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    03 May '07 13:20
    What about User 47407 in Tournament 649?

It's a travesty I tell you!
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    03 May '07 14:18
    Originally posted by rhb

Boo!
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 May '07 21:26
    Originally posted by rhb

It is not about people who improve, but about those you let fall their rating deliberatly..
  8. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    06 May '07 01:56
    It is still unbelievable to me, like I said before, that people come here just to improve their rating..

Are you more cool, hip, if your rating is higher? I do respect higher rated players for their play, but to purposely manipulate and scheme to make that so, seems trite to me.. what about just improving moves and position in each game?

Don't get it. 😕
  9. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    08 May '07 16:11
    Tournament 1424

This tournie started a new round today. Check out group 1 all players are above entry level. Yet the Manquaman has not moved for 4 days but has resigned in all of his games in this tournie.

Do you think he reigned himself or was this done by the admins?
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    08 May '07 16:33
    Originally posted by zebano
    Hmmm. DF joins the site, wins a few games. Gets a rating in between 1450 and 1500, joins the tournament. The tournament is 7/14 so while that first round takes years to complete his rating gets up to it's stable range 1950+. It's not rocket science.
    Thank you. 100% correct.

I entered this tournament on the way up (entered loads more and by the way have been knocked out of some) but I have never deliberately lost rating points to enter a lower rated tournamnet.

Its a fact of life that the players who win tournaments (even rating prises in OTB tournaments) will be on their way up in the ratings as that is a consequence of winning.
  11. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    08 May '07 16:381 edit
    Originally posted by adramforall
    The tourney only started in July 2006 a month after DF joined the site. As a member of a chess club I am quite certain he had a fair idea his playing level was well above the tourney limits and therefore was a [b]cheap tourney win.[/b]
    It was the ONLY tournament I could enter at the time as all other tournaments had minimum entry grades above my level. I entered this tournamnet less than 1 month after joining the site because I wanted to play.

Certainly I knew my OTB grade was 1875 but had no idea what it would be here as I had never played correspondence chess before.

My grade improved, so what! I will never enter a less than 1500 tournament again but then I was eligible.

What about Tournament 1185 my next entry - I got knocked out!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree