1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 20:27
    How about 1 point to Black if a game is drawn, 2 points to White if White wins, 3 points to Black if a Black win?
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 20:33
    are you drunk, or just a fool?
  3. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 22:59
    Originally posted by Drunken Fool
    How about 1 point to Black if a game is drawn, 2 points to White if White wins, 3 points to Black if a Black win?
    and presumably no points to white if a game is drawn.

That would create exciting chess. White must go for a win.
  4. Joined
    08 Mar '06
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 23:12
    USCF gives 1 point for a win and half point for a draw, how about 2 for a win and 1 for a draw?
  5. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    30 Aug '06 23:56
    Originally posted by Iron Duke
    USCF gives 1 point for a win and half point for a draw, how about 2 for a win and 1 for a draw?
    Wow, that's like... win one point, get one free!
  6. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 00:241 edit
    Nice concept .... my suggested refinement:
    Black win - black gets 2 points, white gets 0.
    White win - white gets 2 points, black gets 0.
    Draw - white gets 0.9 points, black gets 1.1 points.

That way any two players only have 4 points to share in their 2 games, and can not rig tournaments so much by both agreeing to win as black.
  7. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 07:16
    Originally posted by flexmore
    Nice concept .... my suggested refinement:
    Black win - black gets 2 points, white gets 0.
    White win - white gets 2 points, black gets 0.
    Draw - white gets 0.9 points, black gets 1.1 points.

That way any two players only have 4 points to share in their 2 games, and can not rig tournaments so much by both agreeing to win as black.
    How about 7 points shared per game: 6 and 1; 5 and 2; 4 and 3.
    Differences therefore 5, 3, and 1.
    Therefore 5 to Black for a win, 3 to White for a win, 1 to Black for a draw?
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 11:31

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '06 19:55
    Must admit that the original post with the "123" idea, was put up with a few glasses of wine in me, just to throw the cat among the pigeons and see what sort of reaction it got. I actually wanted to post the "135" idea, but it seemed way too radical.
    I'm not much of a mathematician, and at the moment the 3 numbers that might be used to score such tounaments could perhaps be disregarded. Is there any strength of feeling out there at all, in support of the concept of scoring a tournament in such a way that it is recognised that there are 3 possible ends to a game?
    I may be wrong, but it seems to me that it is fairly widely excepted that it is easier to win as white than as black. Surely a black win is therefore more valuable, and should therefore be scored higher. The reason that black often plays for a draw is that a black win is not given the value it deserves. Tounaments would be far more decisive, and games would be far more exciting, if the scoring better reflected the nature of the game.
    Regarding the concept of awarding a point to only black (i.e. nothing to white) if a game is drawn: if you accept above premise that a win is easier for white than black, then you have to also accept that a draw is more difficult for black to achieve than for white to achieve.
    I don't know a great deal about chess, and I am absolutely 100 percent new to the concept of a chess tournament, but one thing I notice straight away, is that chess has the chance to do what football ("soccer" for you colonials) can't, i.e. fight against the "boring draw" problem. Football can't, because "home" and "away" are not always clearly defined, but in chess there is always a black and a white.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree