Tournaments and provisional players

Tournaments and provisional players

Tournaments

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santiago

Moves
01 Jun 06

I posted this once before and it seems to have been ignored as a suggestion.

I don't think it is fair that provisional players should be allowed to enter tournaments. I like playing in the tournaments very much. If I wanted to play against people somewhat better than me, then I would play in a random tournament.

A new May 0-1249 tournament has just started, and of course one or two provisional players have entered. Seeing has it started today, one player has a ranking of p1487. I would say that has made the tournament a waste of time for the rest of us.

I for one find it particularly annoying. Provisional players should not be allowed to play in rated tournos. It takes the fun out of tit for the rest of us and just gives good new players plenty of easy wins. I know there are some on here that enjoy beating up on weaker players, but it is not what the rest of us are subscribed for.

If they want to join tournos they should just get the number of games out of the way to lose the prov status. Simple as.

Please modify this Russ.

Peter

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
01 Jun 06

I say this everytime this comes up. There is in fact a rule in place stopping provisional players entering banded tournaments. However, it has a flaw. It doesn't stop p1200 players (players with less than 5 games) entering banded tournaments. Of course this means only bands describing 1200 have an issue but it's still something that should be cleaned up. Russ get on it.

Santiago

Moves
01 Jun 06

Indeed.

M

Moves
04 Jun 06

I'm guilty of this, and was unaware at the time that this might be an issue: I had no idea of the relative strength of the bands and hadn't played for 15-odd years before signing up. It turns out that my rating will probably settle somewhere in the 1400s or above, so feel bad about being in the tourney. When registering I was just keen to enter as many tourneys as possible, so did so.

Is there any way, oh tourney moderators, that my two games in the tourney in question (the 0-1400 May mega-duel) can be handed to my opponent without my rating being affected?

Thanks,
Martin

E

Swansea

Moves
04 Jun 06

It shouldn't really matter in your case as you said you will be about 1400 and the band is upto 1400, so not to worry in this case 🙂

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
04 Jun 06

Originally posted by expressiveoutburst
It shouldn't really matter in your case as you said you will be about 1400 and the band is upto 1400, so not to worry in this case 🙂
yeah, you've got to take into account fluctuation in rating, especially when you are a sub. Its quite normal for your rating to increase during a tourney. . .and 50 ratings points or so isnt a big advantage

🙂

M

Moves
05 Jun 06

Fair enough, thanks. The last thing I want to do is create bad feeling, so want to avoid that. Having said that I'm hardly storming away in my first round matches anyway

E

Swansea

Moves
05 Jun 06

Here we go, another set of banded tournies for the month and more provisional players. I admit I have gone up close to the next band recently and if I go over I shall withdraw from the lowest band and go up to the next level. Please do something about this, it's been going on for so long now it's ridiculous!

Santiago

Moves
06 Jun 06

Yep, three provs in the June one.

I just noted that I will finish second in my group in the Vikings banded tourno. I am second behind someone who has a rating now that is higher than 1600. That makes me feel great.

Oh and why can't we have a few tournies where perhaps the first two go through or even the first four in a group if there are a lot of players in each group.

c

Moves
06 Jun 06

It won't let me join any banded tournies because of my prov rating...

E

Swansea

Moves
06 Jun 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
It won't let me join any banded tournies because of my prov rating...
You will have to wait until you are no longer provisional, but there are always lots of new tournies to play in so not to worry 😉

c

Moves
06 Jun 06

Well, I was just mentioning it, because I don't see how these other Prov. players got in.

E

Swansea

Moves
06 Jun 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Well, I was just mentioning it, because I don't see how these other Prov. players got in.
There is a way but I have forgotten, someone will know, but it is either you can get in without you completing a game or something like that I think.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
07 Jun 06

Maybe you two should actually read the second post in the thread.

c

Moves
07 Jun 06

Thanks Xanthos...I read it...There are p 1300's entered though.