False religion versus the gospel of Jesus Christ

False religion versus the gospel of Jesus Christ

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
19 Aug 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Oh yes the Bible and monopoly have a lot in common don't they?
Indeed. Although in the Bible reward comes in the hereafter. In Monopoly you get rewarded every time you pass Go.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Aug 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Indeed. Although in the Bible reward comes in the hereafter. In Monopoly you get rewarded every time you pass Go.
No actually the reward *God* comes in this life, those that are trying to earn it afterwards
can miss that.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
19 Aug 16
1 edit

If you focus only on the big reward at the end you miss out on all the rewards along the way.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Aug 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
The bible folks TRIED to make it a religious monopoly but failed. That is the problem with your religion. It is NOT a monopoly and if there was a real god involved, it would have known all about the future challenges to its relgion and would have dealt with the ususpers and the fact that never happened is evidence enough to tell me ALL these religions are f ...[text shortened]... ly, men are quite capable of making up religions.

If you don't think so, look at scientology.
Come on, Scientology is a bit of a fail for a religion. I mean, an alien God from another planet? Really?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Aug 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Do you believe that people sin?

Originally posted by FMF
Well I'm not a Christian, if that's what you're getting at. I think when you talk about "sin" you are talking about transgressing against the imagined will of a supernatural being that you are convinced exists. So do I believe people "sin"?

I certainly think lots of Christians ...[text shortened]... ly thinking a series of groupthink-type thoughts that they have codified and like to talk about.
No, that's not "what he's getting at".

He asked you if you believe that people sin. Simple question, hard to twist to your own agenda, but you tried anyways. Could you just answer his question instead of waffling on about something else?

You always run your mouth about being "direct" and "forthright". Prove it, for a change.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
19 Aug 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Come on, Scientology is a bit of a fail for a religion. I mean, an alien God from another planet? Really?
Heh heh, religious people ridiculing other religions. 😵

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Aug 16

'When Gentiles, who do not possess the law, do instinctively what the law requires, these, though not having the law, are a law unto themselves. They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts, to which their own conscience also bears witness.' (Romans 2:14-16)

I define righteousness by the premise of my own conscience and it is th ...[text shortened]... a righteous life. (Not a sin free life, which is beyond any man's grasp, but a righteous life).
" 'When Gentiles, who do not possess the law, do instinctively what the law requires, these, though not having the law, are a law unto themselves. They show that what the law requires is written on their hearts, to which their own conscience also bears witness.' (Romans 2:14-16)

I define righteousness by the premise of my own conscience and it is this conscience that differentiates between what is righteous and what is unrighteous. - Although I am not religious, the above passage from Romans supports this line of reasoning and explicitly states that my conscience bears witness to the righteousness written on my heart by God. - In other words, If I live true to my conscience, which is God given whether I recognise it or not, then I am living a righteous life. (Not a sin free life, which is beyond any man's grasp, but a righteous life)."

This is the post I plan on responding to. I had to search vigorously to find it.

I have way too many irons in the fire at this moment, but I will attend this, probably tomorrow, when I have time. At least I found the post and can now find it again. In presenting my viewpoint on this, I will end up touching on Rajk's worldview as well, as this verse (along with other bits of Romans 1, 2 or 3) I believe encapsulates much of what he tries to stand for in this forum. But even Romans 3 talks about why this is not good enough.

One of my points is that anyone can take a verse or two, or three, and build a case. But the Bible is many books, with many chapters, with many verses. Taking a few here and there to prove a point doesn't prove the point true.

And I'm not implying that what I have to say is so important that you should wait on it with anticipation, but tomorrow is the earliest I can do this. Sorry.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Aug 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Heh heh, religious people ridiculing other religions. 😵
Well, yeah, but part of the point here is that Scientology is not exactly a "religion". L. Ron Hubbard even said during his lifetime that Scientology was dreamed up as a tax dodge, a tax shelter. I think that's the reason Scientology is so outrageous. Ol' L. Ron was having a laugh at people in general, and the IRS in particular.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." -- 1 Timothy 6:10. KJV

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
19 Aug 16

Well, yeah, but part of the point here is that Scientology is not exactly a "religion". L. Ron Hubbard even said during his lifetime that Scientology was dreamed up as a tax dodge, a tax shelter. I think that's the reason Scientology is so outrageous. Ol' L. Ron was having a laugh at people in general, and the IRS in particular.

"For the love of money ...[text shortened]... erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." -- 1 Timothy 6:10. KJV
I bet that's what they said about Paul.

F

Moves
19 Aug 16

Could you just answer his question instead of waffling on about something else?

You always run your mouth about being "direct" and "forthright". Prove it, for a change.
I answered the question not only directly but also in some considerable detail that describes exactly the reasoning behind why I do not think people "sin" although many think they do. Perhaps you just did not understand my answer.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Aug 16

I bet that's what they said about Paul.
Not exactly.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Aug 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I answered the question not only directly but also in some considerable detail that describes exactly the reasoning behind why I do not think people "sin" although many think they do. Perhaps you just did not understand my answer.
And perhaps you just did not answer the question, but rather waffled on about other disjointed opinions.

F

Moves
20 Aug 16

And perhaps you just did not answer the question, but rather waffled on about other disjointed opinions.
Read it again, Suzianne. I answered the question directly and gave my reasoning too.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Aug 16

It's not really science that enables me to be absolutely certain that the bible is nothing at all to do with god. And yes, you may well be right, god and science may well be able to coexist harmoniously, or more harmoniously than most people assume (not sure that most people assume that they can't though).
It's not really science that enables me to be absolutely certain that the bible is nothing at all to do with god.

So what then enables you to be absolutely certain?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
20 Aug 16

Do we dismiss the Apostle Paul's writings or accept them as being from Jesus ? Do Paul's writings contradict anything that Jesus taught in the Gospels ? Or are they a further expansion upon what Jesus taught ? If Paul's writings contradict Jesus then we should ignore them altogether right ? ( Not that I believe that ) We either accept Paul's teachings as being from Christ or not I don't think we can have it both ways .....Paul expands upon what faith and works mean and the concept of Grace ( unmerited favor towards man ) I don't care what anyone says Do any of us think we can stand before a Holy God and and say look at my works God ? I deserve to stand here in your presence !! God is the judge I don't know about you but I know I would fall on my face and humbly ask for God's unmerited favor to fall on me 🙂

Manny