1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:26
    To stop any future personal abuse of the moderators, I have implemented a new system for forum moderation.

If a post receives n alerts, it will be hidden.

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily be abused.

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and if sufficient number of subscribing members’ believes your post is inappropriate, then that is that.

Admittedly, this system is experimental, and n maybe modified over time, but actual human intervention should be kept to a minimum.

If people alert posts continuously, and appear to be targeting the posts of one user for no good reason, they could find themselves the recipient of a forum ban, in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ
  2. Boulder, CO
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:33
    Originally posted by Russ
    To stop any future personal abuse of the moderators, I have implemented a new system for forum moderation.

If a post receives [b]n
    alerts, it will be hidden.

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily be abused.

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and ...[text shortened]... in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]

Pure and utter genius.

-f
  3. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:34
    Out of curiosity -- how many is n? (Not that you have any obligation to say)
  4. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:35
    You mean people will need to be resposible in what posts they alert? Gosh! Will we cope?
    Fingers crossed that people finally manage to see the difference between a post being "offensive" and those that are "something they do not agree with".
    I'm not confident, but why not try it on: you never learn without asking, or so it is said.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:35
    n is n, because I do not want to say what n is. πŸ˜‰

(For the time being, at least.)

-Russ
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:381 edit

If a post receives [b]n

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily b ...[text shortened]... ne who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
    With all due respect, is there any reason for withholding what the value of n is?

PS I didn't see your above post, but I'd still appreciate an answer if you don't mind.

7. Standard memberclaretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    Inside
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:411 edit

If a post receives [b]n

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily b ...[text shortened]... ne who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
    So for example a clan with n members can decide upon the fate of a post if they act as a team?
    Great Idea Einstein
    πŸ™‚
    *Edit*
    This sounds like the worst type of " I wash my hands of responsibility " since the 13+
  8. Gangster Land
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:45
    Originally posted by claretnblue
    So for example a clan with n members can decide upon the fate of a post if they act as a team?
    Great Idea Einstein
    πŸ™‚
    sigh...good grief. Is this really productive!?

TheSkipper
  9. Standard memberclaretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    Inside
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:55
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    sigh...good grief. Is this really productive!?

TheSkipper
    My apologies - I meant to write " If Russ has an idea it must be wonderful "
    πŸ™‚
  10. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    With all due respect, is there any reason for withholding what the value of n is?

PS I didn't see your above post, but I'd still appreciate an answer if you don't mind.

I'd actually rather "n" remain undisclosed. I've only been a member for a year, but during that time it's become apparent to me that there are several groups of members that like to function as a unit within the forums.

If Russ were to reveal the value of "n" it would be a relatively simple matter for these groups to exert their own perspective on forum moderation by using group attacks on people and/or topics they don't like.

Russ, I think your idea is a good one, but it will be an important (and I believe you'll find, very challenging) task to track who is alerting against who to try to exert their own version of censorship.
  11. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:59
    Originally posted by claretnblue
    My apologies - I meant to write " If Russ has an idea it must be wonderful "
    πŸ™‚
    Claretnblue,

Be Quiet.

Regardes, FNM πŸ˜€
  12. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 16:59
    Ha,I had foreseen this system in Forum Wars,I'm a prophet........πŸ˜‰
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:00

If a post receives [b]n

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and ...[text shortened]... in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
    sounds reasonable to me...
  14. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:021 edit
    Oooooooiii,this system is by far the most abusable by the so called wolves.
  15. ruislipwoods
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:02
    ONE
    I will put an alert on this.
    If the next person puts TWO and an alert then we should find out what N is.

Russ this was a good callange but I fine chess more of a challange.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree