Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Announcements

Announcements

1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    30 Sep '04 16:26
    To stop any future personal abuse of the moderators, I have implemented a new system for forum moderation.

If a post receives n alerts, it will be hidden.

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily be abused.

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and if sufficient number of subscribing members’ believes your post is inappropriate, then that is that.

Admittedly, this system is experimental, and n maybe modified over time, but actual human intervention should be kept to a minimum.

If people alert posts continuously, and appear to be targeting the posts of one user for no good reason, they could find themselves the recipient of a forum ban, in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ
  2. 30 Sep '04 16:33
    Originally posted by Russ
    To stop any future personal abuse of the moderators, I have implemented a new system for forum moderation.

If a post receives [b]n
    alerts, it will be hidden.

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily be abused.

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and ...[text shortened]... in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]

Pure and utter genius.

-f
  3. Standard member paultopia
    High Priest
    30 Sep '04 16:34
    Out of curiosity -- how many is n? (Not that you have any obligation to say)
  4. Standard member Toe
    30 Sep '04 16:35
    You mean people will need to be resposible in what posts they alert? Gosh! Will we cope?
    Fingers crossed that people finally manage to see the difference between a post being "offensive" and those that are "something they do not agree with".
    I'm not confident, but why not try it on: you never learn without asking, or so it is said.
  5. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    30 Sep '04 16:35
    n is n, because I do not want to say what n is.

(For the time being, at least.)

-Russ
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    30 Sep '04 16:38 / 1 edit

If a post receives [b]n

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily b ...[text shortened]... ne who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
    With all due respect, is there any reason for withholding what the value of n is?

PS I didn't see your above post, but I'd still appreciate an answer if you don't mind.

7. Standard member claretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    30 Sep '04 16:41 / 1 edit

If a post receives [b]n

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily b ...[text shortened]... ne who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
    So for example a clan with n members can decide upon the fate of a post if they act as a team?
    Great Idea Einstein

*Edit*
    This sounds like the worst type of " I wash my hands of responsibility " since the 13+
  8. Standard member TheSkipper
    Pimp!
    30 Sep '04 16:45
    Originally posted by claretnblue
    So for example a clan with n members can decide upon the fate of a post if they act as a team?
    Great Idea Einstein
    sigh...good grief. Is this really productive!?

TheSkipper
  9. Standard member claretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    30 Sep '04 16:55
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    sigh...good grief. Is this really productive!?

TheSkipper
    My apologies - I meant to write " If Russ has an idea it must be wonderful "
  10. 30 Sep '04 16:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    With all due respect, is there any reason for withholding what the value of n is?

PS I didn't see your above post, but I'd still appreciate an answer if you don't mind.

I'd actually rather "n" remain undisclosed. I've only been a member for a year, but during that time it's become apparent to me that there are several groups of members that like to function as a unit within the forums.

If Russ were to reveal the value of "n" it would be a relatively simple matter for these groups to exert their own perspective on forum moderation by using group attacks on people and/or topics they don't like.

Russ, I think your idea is a good one, but it will be an important (and I believe you'll find, very challenging) task to track who is alerting against who to try to exert their own version of censorship.
  11. 30 Sep '04 16:59
    Originally posted by claretnblue
    My apologies - I meant to write " If Russ has an idea it must be wonderful "
    Claretnblue,

Be Quiet.

Regardes, FNM
  12. Standard member Ravello
    The RudeĀ©
    30 Sep '04 16:59
    Ha,I had foreseen this system in Forum Wars,I'm a prophet........
  13. 30 Sep '04 17:00

If a post receives [b]n

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and ...[text shortened]... in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
    sounds reasonable to me...
  14. Standard member Ravello
    The RudeĀ©
    30 Sep '04 17:02 / 1 edit
    Oooooooiii,this system is by far the most abusable by the so called wolves.
  15. 30 Sep '04 17:02
    ONE
    I will put an alert on this.
    If the next person puts TWO and an alert then we should find out what N is.

Russ this was a good callange but I fine chess more of a challange.