1. Boulder, CO
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:29
    Originally posted by dfm65
    i don't get it: someone finding certain usernames is subjected to your vitriol, but banning under-13s is fine, and hiding posts because a number of people find them offensive enough to alert them is fine? do you actually have a coherent position at all?

this is not to disagree with Russ's latest change - i'm fine with it. in fact it is consistent with my ...[text shortened]... ken in other threads. but it doesn't seem consistent with yours, unless i am missing something?

Despite the fact that you have entirely overused the word "vitriol" now, I'll take a moment to answer with relevancy to the subject at hand.

What I find detestible is how *you*, acting singularly as one, take it upon yourself to personally message the administrators over every little fart (i.e. "ToiletBoy", no pun intended) you find walking the fine line between what you personally define as decency and not.

I think the new system will help prevent the necessity of people like you raising a big stink over something minor, and will ensure that a post is reasonably offensive before it is lifted, as opposed to you and a moderator with a itchy trigger finger doing the task a'la vigilante.

-f
  2. Standard memberclaretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    Inside
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:31
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    If you are attempting to prove my point with your juvenile behavior; I appreciate the effort. 😉

TheSkipper
    Thank you very much -

now let's all sing our anthem

"The King is in the all together . . . . ."

** Passes TheSkipper a baked kipper and FNM a porkpie,***
    I just love family BBQs

3. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    Originally posted by claretnblue
    why? Because the King is in the all together, the all together!
    No.
    Because you are giving me a head-ache.

FNM 😉
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    Part of this update includes tools to check for abuse.

-Russ
  5. Standard memberclaretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    Inside
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:33
    Originally posted by Faith No More
    No.
    Because you are giving me a head-ache.

FNM 😉
    sex is out of the question then? Oh well we are stuck with chess again
  6. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:341 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:34
    I have started a new thread under site ideas that provides some suggestions to the self-moderating system...
  8. Standard memberclaretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    Inside
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:41
    Your avatar says Semi-Retired.
    Are you sure you don't mean Semi-Retarded?

FNM
    How dare you!!!
    retract that now - I am fully retarded
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:41
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Excellent points no1. I agree the number should be high, but making the number public can lead to problems as well. ie Even if the number were 100, if everyone knew that it is not out of the question that something could be 'worked out' with PM's and clan alerts etc. This would end up skewing the number system so badly that the only way to remove a pos ...[text shortened]... ante to that extent is to "get even" with another poster or something like that.

TheSkipper
    You can play "cat and mouse" but people here are pretty smart; I'll venture within a few weeks we'll all have a good idea of what n is. I see no reason not to just say what it is up front and then have people give their opinions. I still say that without some feature for weighing positive responses to posts we are left with the possibility of a small number of sensitive, aggressive alerters determining appropriate Forum content for the entire community even though their version of what's offensive is out of touch with the community's. Perhaps someone else would care to comment on that.
  10. Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:42
    Originally posted by claretnblue
    How dare you!!!
    retract that now - I am fully retarded
    lol.
    Will you ever be able to forgive me?
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:421 edit
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    Mr. Blue didn't say it really nice, but he is right, what stops Benett sending a message to Rob with:

"Hi Rob, Ivanhoe posted something silly again, let us alert it!"

Nothing personal here with the names of course. 😏

O.
    Presumably, If Rwingett and I conspired in that way, we would be targetting a poster for no good reason. Russ has said this would earn us a forum ban. Anyway, I haven't been alerting Ivanhoe's posts, and I don't intend to start now. The general issue, that of user groups targetting a poster for personal or political reasons, seems to be dealt with by Russ in his original post. Such strategic alertings are grounds for punishment.

Out of curiosity, if one's post is removed, and one feels as though one's post wasn't at all offensive, to whom should one direct one's appeal? There is an appeals process, isn't there?

Edit: Ah yes, I've just read that there are tools to check for abuse. Presumably these tools aren't automatic. Presumably they have to be initiated by a poster who feels he or she has been singled out for personal or political reasons. Now, how should such a poster go about initiating the tools you speak of? Should he or she contact you or the moderators directly via PM?
  12. Standard memberclaretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    Inside
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:45
    lol.
    Will you ever be able to forgive me?
    sure I forgive easy - you can't help being a twat
    no offence we can still be mates
    🙂
  13. Standard memberMayharm
    the Mad
    Jupiter
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:47
    <releases breath>

Took long enough... 🙂

MÅ¥HÅRM <- jovians have great lung capacity...
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:502 edits
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Presumably, If Rwingett and I conspired in that way, we would be targetting a poster for no good reason. Russ has said this would earn us a forum ban. Anyway, I haven't been alerting Ivanhoe's posts, and I don't intend to start now. Th ...[text shortened]... Should he or she contact you or the moderators directly via PM?
    From Russ' first post, I get the impression there will be NO appeal process. To wit:

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and if sufficient number of subscribing members’ believes your post is inappropriate, then that is that.

"That is that"
    Am I wrong?
  15. Standard memberpaultopia
    High Priest
    The Volcano
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:51
    Perhaps the best thing to do (now that I've seen the explosion of comments on this, I'm begining to agree with the idea of keeping "n" secret) would be to randomly change "n" :-)

that would also eliminate people getting together to execute Sean's idea in secret (ie. agreeing in groups to alert a post in alphabetical order by username and whoever gives the last alert, that's N)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree