1. Standard memberdfm65
    The Godfather
    e8
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:06
    Originally posted by fierce

Pure and utter genius.

-f
    i don't get it: someone finding certain usernames is subjected to your vitriol, but banning under-13s is fine, and hiding posts because a number of people find them offensive enough to alert them is fine? do you actually have a coherent position at all?

this is not to disagree with Russ's latest change - i'm fine with it. in fact it is consistent with my position taken in other threads. but it doesn't seem consistent with yours, unless i am missing something?
  2. Amsterdam
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:07
    Mr. Blue didn't say it really nice, but he is right, what stops Benett sending a message to Rob with:

"Hi Rob, Ivanhoe posted something silly again, let us alert it!"

Nothing personal here with the names of course. 😏

O.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:08
    Originally posted by seanpbutler
    ONE
    I will put an alert on this.
    If the next person puts TWO and an alert then we should find out what N is.

Russ this was a good callange but I fine chess more of a challange.
    Sounds like alert abuse... perhaps you would be better suited to continue with your chess games.

P-
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:09
    Originally posted by dfm65
    i don't get it: someone finding certain usernames is subjected to your vitriol, but banning under-13s is fine, and hiding posts because a number of people find them offensive enough to alert them is fine? do you actually have a coherent position at all?

this is not to disagree with Russ's latest change - i'm fine with it. in fact it is consistent with my ...[text shortened]... ken in other threads. but it doesn't seem consistent with yours, unless i am missing something?
    how is this relevant? may i suggest you just PM him with your question instead of trying to air your personal grievances within a constructive discussion where nobody cares?
  5. Standard memberclaretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    Inside
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:11
    Originally posted by Faith No More
    Claretnblue,

Be Quiet.

Regardes, FNM 😀
    why? Because the King is in the all together, the all together!
  6. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:121 edit
    I think there are good reasons not to publicize 'n'. As Russ said, 'n' may change. If the value is made public, then if and when it changes there will be a bunch of sqawking -- eg. "hey, me and my n-1 friends alerted that post! why is it still here?"
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:13
    Originally posted by LivingLegend
    Mr. Blue didn't say it really nice, but he is right, what stops Benett sending a message to Rob with:

"Hi Rob, Ivanhoe posted something silly again, let us alert it!"

Nothing personal here with the names of course. 😏

O.
    I guess that's what would make it experimental?

Russ, will you be able to see exactly which posts are hidden and use personal discretion as to whether the post was offensive or if it were a kind of "gang" tactic?
  8. Over seas
    Moves
    Kick Ass!!!
  9. Gangster Land
    Moves
    Originally posted by darvlay
    how is this relevant? may i suggest you just PM him with your question instead of trying to air your personal grievances within a constructive discussion where nobody cares?
    Good point darv...but this turning into a productive discussion seems less and less likely all the time.

The number of people who seem to think that logging on is license to act like a petulant child is astounding! 😉

TheSkipper
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:15
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Good point darv...but this turning into a productive discussion seems less and less likely all the time.

The number of people who seem to think that logging on is license to act like a petulant child is astounding! 😉

TheSkipper
    lol... there's still hope!
  11. Donationrichjohnson
    TANSTAAFL
    Walking on sunshine
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:16
    Originally posted by seanpbutler
    ONE
    I will put an alert on this.
    If the next person puts TWO and an alert then we should find out what N is.

Russ this was a good callange but I fine chess more of a challange.
    That will only work if everyone plays. For example, maybe I alerted this post and didn't put TWO, or maybe I will put TWO and not alert.
  12. Standard memberclaretnblue
    Semi-Sensitive Uncut
    Inside
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:21

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:211 edit
    Originally posted by richjohnson
    I think there are good reasons not to publicize 'n'. As Russ said, 'n' may change. If the value is made public, then if and when it changes there will be a bunch of sqawking -- eg. "hey, me and my n-1 friends alerted that post! why is it still here?"
    I only ask because the value of n will be an important factor in how many posts are moderated. If n=100, I would venture to say that hardly any posts will be removed. If n=5, then the system is rife for the type of abuses people are talking about: the "ganging up" factor. And the lower the n, the lower will be the common denominator for what speech is allowed; a few very sensitive members can dictate what the entire community reads. Ravello pointed out that there are other sites with similiar systems, but the number of alerts have to be n more than the number of recs; I think this would be better than the system implemented here. I fear that a small number of aggressive alerters will be able to tailor the content of the Forums to their wishes even though they are unrepresentative of the community.

14. Gangster Land
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:25
    Originally posted by claretnblue
    you bitcccch!
    If you are attempting to prove my point with your juvenile behavior; I appreciate the effort. 😉

TheSkipper
  15. Gangster Land
    Moves
    30 Sep '04 17:291 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I only ask because the value of n will be an important factor in how many posts are moderated. If n=100, I would venture to say that hardly any posts will be removed. If n=5, then the system is rife for the type of abuses peo ...[text shortened]... ven though they are unrepresentative of the community.

Excellent points no1. I agree the number should be high, but making the number public can lead to problems as well. ie Even if the number were 100, if everyone knew that it is not out of the question that something could be 'worked out' with PM's and clan alerts etc. This would end up skewing the number system so badly that the only way to remove a post would require massive coordination and the only reason people would cordinante to that extent is to "get even" with another poster or something like that.

TheSkipper

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree