1. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 00:11
    Originally posted by richjohnson
    Any way you slice it, moderation is going to have a subjective element. Just because Russ has the power to alter the value of n doesn't mean that the system is not "communitarian in any way." Other posters still need to alert posts for them to be removed, so there is at least a partial communitarian element.

Ok, fair enough. Any system of moderation will qualify as partly communitarian if the removal of posts requires some action on the part of community members.

Anyway, I've got no real beef with this modification, although I would prefer to see a system where a recommendation could cancel an alert. I'd also still like to know more about these tools to detect abuse that Russ spoke so cryptically of earlier, and whether these tools are automatic or if they rely upon user imput, and if the latter, to whom and by what method should users direct their imput..
  2. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 00:58
    genius russ what a genius you are!
  3. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 01:13
    Originally posted by Russ
    To stop any future personal abuse of the moderators, I have implemented a new system for forum moderation.

If a post receives [b]n
    alerts, it will be hidden.

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily be abused.

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and ...[text shortened]... in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
    n=?
    2<n?
  4. Joined
    03 Dec '03
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 02:26
    Originally posted by fierce

That is very bizarre. I just did a search for it and everything. It's gone.

I'd message Russ on this one, seems to be a special case where maybe the new system had a bug or something. Also, why in the hell would the ENTIRE thread be gone?? If this is going to work, it shouldn't automatically delete every reply to a reported thread, maybe just the ...[text shortened]... to get you. ALSO, a person should not be able to report the same thread more than once.

-f
    Thank you fierce and marauder. I am sorry that I overreacted. It just seemed a big coincidence for it to be gone when the new modding system started. To tell the truth I was broken hearted at the thouight of leaving rhp. I do feel as though I am part of a very loving, if somewhat cantankerous family. I am sorry to have thrown my toys from the pram. I will stand in the corner for an hour or so.
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 09:52
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If Russ didn't want opinions on the system, he would have simply announced it and closed the thread as he has on other occasions. I'm not "bitchin"; I'm offering my opinion as to whether the system implemented is a good one and how it could be made better in my view. I kinda resent everytime someone makes a suggestion, somebody else comp ...[text shortened]... t their complaining! If you think my ideas are stupid say so, but don't bitch about my bitchin!
    You may have noticed that I agreed with your suggestion, and I do think it probably is a better system. The only reason I replied to your post was because I liked the idea and had some input into how to make it better (imho), not because I was singling you out because of your 'bitchin'.

My point is that we should at least see how Russ' system works before we call for changes. I'm sure Russ has put a lot of thought and hours into this system, and for us to say that its no good before we even see how it works, I dunno, it must make him wonder if its worthwhile even trying. Also, if the alert squad do alert things that they may find offensive, purely because its against their own beliefs, then I believe that that is what Russ is referring to when he says that targeting alerts will result in a forum ban.

I guess that would be one of the tools he'll use, to still use the moderators at the present to compare what's being alerted and whether or not the posts alerted are offensive or not. Then, if somebody has consistently been alerting posts which can only be considered offensive in the fact that the post includes any words starting in fuc (and not ending in a certain other letter), that person will get a forum ban.

Again, No1, I agree that your system may be better, but I simply ask that we give Russ' some time before we get him back coding.

D
  6. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 12:44
    In my opinion, revealing the value of n would cause more trouble than it's worth. It will encourage rivals to gather up friends to reach the magic number of alerts.

For the same reason, DISPLAYING the number of alerts is a terrible idea. And combining that with recs being treated as 'anti-alerts' would be a disaster. We seem to have quite enough people already who have nothing better to do than roam the forums having fights with each other, all of the above would only encourage them.

I'm quite sure Russ is capable of monitoring the number of posts that are getting removed as a result of alerts, and adjusting n accordingly if he thinks it is either too high or too low. He's always seemed a reasonably sane individual - unlike, it must be said, a small selection of the members.

Have I annoyed enough people now? Okay, good, time for some CHESS then.
  7. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 13:15
    Originally posted by tlai1992
    genius russ what a genius you are!
    No genius.
    This system is going on GameKnot since quite good time.
  8. Joined
    03 Dec '03
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 13:51
    n=rhp2
  9. Standard memberdfm65
    The Godfather
    e8
    Moves
    01 Oct '04 16:16
    Originally posted by fierce

Despite the fact that you have entirely overused the word "vitriol" now, I'll take a moment to answer with relevancy to the subject at hand.

What I find detestible is how *you*, acting singularly as one, take it upon yourself to personally message the administrators over every little fart (i.e. "ToiletBoy", no pun intended) you find walking the fine ...[text shortened]... posed to you and a moderator with a itchy trigger finger doing the task a'la vigilante.

-f
    actually the word 'vitriol' has been overused when applied to your posts right from the beginning, but it takes less effort to type than 'incoherent knee-jerk rambling'.

for example: 'singularly as one' : a tautology - could i protest 'singularly as two'?

another: you state that what you find detestable is my pm to the admins over certain usernames, yet your incoherent knee-jerk rambling began in response to my raising the question in the forum, BEFORE you knew about the pm. so what you write is simply not true.

i might also point out that, while it is possible to alert a forum post, there is no such mechanism for usernames. why should it be possible to be offended by posts but not usernames? in fact, directly bringing the matter to the attention of the admins is the only recourse available. well, the most sensible anyway. i could have raised it in the forums, but which one? the only one which the admins are guaranteed to read is site ideas, and it wasn't really a site idea. this is not to defend my decision to pm Russ - thi sdecision needs no defence.

to which i might add: if i feel, as a paying customer, that there are elements of the site that i feel are inappropriate, i am perfectly within my rights to make my views known to the admins. just as it is up to the admins whether to take action or not.

your posts show that you just make assumption after assumption over my reasons for objecting to certain user names. first i was a 'religious zealnut' remember, despite the fact that i hold no religious belief? you need to ask yourself 'why am i threatened by this?', as it obviously evokes a very deep-seated emotional response in you.
  10. Joined
    01 Jul '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '04 19:52
    Can I ask a favor of Russ? On several occasions before now I have accidentally hit the "ALert" button. Now seems like a good time to bring the topic back up, and since this alert thing is being tampered with anyhow, can we have a " Did you mean to do that" sign pop up?
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    03 Oct '04 12:46
    Originally posted by abejnood
    Can I ask a favor of Russ? On several occasions before now I have accidentally hit the "ALert" button. Now seems like a good time to bring the topic back up, and since this alert thing is being tampered with anyhow, can we have a " Did you mean to do that" sign pop up?
    Or even better, pop up a text box and ask for the reason you are alerting the post. At the bottom, have two options, such as "cancel" and "send alert".

That would help the mods, and give the alerter the option to cancel if it was an error.

regards, Marc
  12. Standard membereyeqpc
    Robbo
    a Brave new world
    Moves
    03 Oct '04 12:54
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    Or even better, pop up a text box and ask for the reason you are alerting the post. At the bottom, have two options, such as "cancel" and "send alert".

That would help the mods, and give the alerter the option to cancel if it was an error.

regards, Marc
    Geart idea, a rec from me.

13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Oct '04 15:54
    Moderators have asked for this for years (well, quite sometime anyway) - and I have not added it.

But I believe now is the time - every alert will soon require a comment to justify the alert. This should help prevent any gang attack on a thread too.

I will now close this thread.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree