Annotated Games

Annotated Games

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
24 Aug 10
10 edits

As some have discovered, a new tool has recently been released to help annotate games played on the site. It is not a requirement that the game be your own – you are free to annotate any game.

When viewing a board from the "game history" page you can use the "Annotations for this game" link to view any annotations that may exist for a game.

You may review other’s published annotations for that game, or you create a new one. Your own annotated games can remain private, or be published to share with the community, who then may add further comments to each of your annotations when using the “flat view”.

PGNs can be copied and pasted from the interactive viewer and inserted into the forums using the normal [ pgn ][ /pgn ] tags or a link to a published annotated game can be achieved by using [ annotationid ] [/ annotationid ]

If you would just like to see all current published annotated games, use the "Annotated games" option from the "community" menu.

edit : examples added.

Link

Annotation 5

Or

Embedded

Thanks Toe Tagger Joe, I used your annotated game for the examples.

e4

Moves
24 Aug 10

This is superb.

Wonderful new improvement.

Should have made this for subs only. It is a definate carrot to get
those who are swithering to sign up to support the site.

My personal choice, and this is not a critism, smaller boxes
so the guys learn how to say what they want to say in as few words
as possible. Some will attempt War & Peace in a note.

Also 5 notes max per game.
This makes them select the critical moments in the game to
add a note. Adding a note after every move is monotonous
unless the position really demands it.

Great new feature - cheers Russ.

o
Art is hard

Moves
24 Aug 10
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
This is superb.

Wonderful new improvement.

Should have made this for subs only. It is a definate carrot to get
those who are swithering to sign up to support the site.

My personal choice, and this is not a critism, smaller boxes
so the guys learn how to say what they want to say in as few words
as possible. Some will attempt War & Peace in ...[text shortened]... move is monotonous
unless the position really demands it.

Great new feature - cheers Russ.
Not sure I agree with the last suggestion but I fully agree with the other ones. Great feature!

One more thing, on the annotated games page you should also publish the details of the game (start date end date, how many moves, players involved and ratings)

Also an interesting idea could be to rank the annotations by allowing subscribers to award them a grade (for example 1 out of 5 stars) - then you could list them by av.grade/date, letting either the best or the most recent annotations come on top.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
26 Aug 10
1 edit

Wow, this is exactly the sort of thing the chess forum has needed for ages! Nice addition. 🙂

It would be good if a basic editor could be included, perhaps where you paste the pgn into a box, which opens a page with a board of the game with a text field next to it so that notes can be added to each move before submiting it to the forum. This way you don't need to use a seperate application(s) to prepare your post.

Also, if every analysed game is submitted via this tool, then they can be given id's and databased over time.

Perhaps introduce a type of rec specific to particular analysed games so that people can 'search by rec' when looking over old material...
🙂

a

Moves
28 Aug 10
1 edit

Nice feature. I've tested it with a couple of games and I like it. I'm conscious of the War & Peace comments but I think it's nice to get a flavour, or the context, of what was going on.

Another suggestion: when you look at the PGN/header for a game it shows the current rankings of the two players. Would it be better to show the ratings at the time the game was completed?

Moves
28 Aug 10

Originally posted by Russ
As some have discovered, a new tool has recently been released to help annotate games played on the site. It is not a requirement that the game be your own – you are free to annotate any game.

When viewing a board from the "game history" page you can use the "Annotations for this game" link to view any annotations that may exist for a game.

You may rev ...[text shortened]... our annotated game for the examples.
This is excellent thanks.

Have you considered adding the option of chapters, or a way of grouping games under different learning headings? E.g. if a player wanted to look at certain openings or endgames they could.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
30 Aug 10

Right now (nearly) every game is being classified by opening. More on this shortly.