1. The sky
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 00:33
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Hey Russ, could you include the 'proper' dimensions for the GIFs in both cases such that they will
    not be scaled? I know that the forum one is 50x50, but I have no clue what the other one is supposed
    to be.

Nemesio
    The avatar is 50x50, the forum pic is 100x150. I agree this should be included in the instructions (even though it's quite easy to find out by looking at the properties of a forum pic).
  2. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 00:46
    Originally posted by cadwah
    My avatars have all been resized down to 50x50 and they're all still to large, this sucks!!!
    No...hold on...I've found one that is still within the paltry limits.
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 02:35
    I guess I am too retarded to have an avatar now. 😞
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 02:41
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    The avatar is 50x50, the forum pic is 100x150. I agree this should be included in the instructions (even though it's quite easy to find out by looking at the properties of a forum pic).
    Rockin'. Thanks.
  5. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 07:33
    Why not have an option to turn of avatars in the My Settings page. That way dial up users can have fast loading pages and the rest of us dont get annoyed by it...
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 08:06
    Hmmmm, strange, am I missing something?

First, my profile picture has a dimension where width and height are the same, yet in my profile the picture gets a pinkish background and the surrounding box has different dimensions.

Secondly, I don't seem to find the functionality to remove a picture...
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 08:292 edits
    Hey Russ, could you include the 'proper' dimensions for the GIFs in both cases such that they will
    not be scaled?

Um, yes, slight oversight there.

-Russ

edit : Image dimension added to all upload pages, plus some help on preserving animation.
  8. Joined
    03 Mar '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 10:26
    why we cant have PNG file, that what i have so i cant upload😕

and i cant remove my avatar, my kitty does not dance anymore 😕

Lolle
  9. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 11:18
    Originally posted by Russ
    not be scaled?

Um, yes, slight oversight there.

-Russ

edit : Image dimension added to all upload pages, plus some help on preserving animation.
    How do you get rid of the picture? I don't want a profile pic for now
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 11:53
    For the record, I'm dead against this. Primarily because we are now limited to 32kb 50x50 images for our avatars. This raises two issues:

Firstly, data amount. Whilst I appreciate some people are on dial up, if the limit was raised to 100kb, it would still only take a couple of seconds and once loaded the cookies would enable it faster next time. Also, people worried about animated gifs can just press escape to stop them from running.

Secondly, physical picture size. In moving to this process, we have lost the ability to right click and view image to see the full size version, a much used and now greatly missed part of RHP, IMO.

I also fail to see why the so called benefits of this new system outweigh those of the old one. Users unable to link to pictures can ask or use the RHP FAQ, making a post in General should suffice to notify anyone that uses the forums (which is where the avatars are anyway). If images are password protected, either they shoouldn't be being used (in which case their not loading is a good thing) or, they could be uploaded to an RHP repository to bypass that issue.

I just don't think this has been thought through properly. Couldn't we make the system voluntary, so people could use it for ease or if they don't have their own webspace etc?

P.S. Russ, my very simple and small animated gif which made up my profile pic is scewed, neither is it animated, nor resized properly, so basically I've now got to find another one. Shouldn't people have been made aware of this before it happened?
  11. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 13:371 edit
    Originally posted by Ramned
    How do you get rid of the picture? I don't want a profile pic for now
    Upload a completely transparent gif.

EDIT: Or right-click on someone's "No avatar" pic (the grey silhouette head), save it to your desktop, and upload that.
  12. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 15:05
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd

[b]EDIT:
    Or right-click on someone's "No avatar" pic (the grey silhouette head), save it to your desktop, and upload that.[/b]
    LOL! Nice work around - but no need - you can now click the upload button without specifying an image to clear your avatar/profile pic.

-Russ
  13. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 15:32
    Originally posted by Russ
    LOL! Nice work around - but no need - you can now click the upload button without specifying an image to clear your avatar/profile pic.

-Russ
    Ah, great. Although it is hidden in a way which is not very interaction design like.
  14. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 15:34
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd

[b]EDIT:
    Or right-click on someone's "No avatar" pic (the grey silhouette head), save it to your desktop, and upload that.[/b]
    I tried that already. It gives a black image. Strange, really.

When there is not part of picture due to the set dimension for use on RHP, the parts that will be filled are filled with pink. When there is a part of an image which is transparant, it turns to black. Very mysterious...
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 15:34
    Originally posted by Starrman
    For the record, I'm dead against this. Primarily because we are now limited to 32kb 50x50 images for our avatars. This raises two issues:

Firstly, data amount. Whilst I appreciate some people are on dial up, if the limit was raised to 100kb, it would still only take a couple of seconds and once loaded the cookies would enable it faster next time. ...[text shortened]... t to find another one. Shouldn't people have been made aware of this before it happened?
    15 x 100kB is fine for a forum page? And escape doesn't stop images loading just playing.

I never bothered right clicking to view whatever retarded image best suited your mood. If I did then I'd probably visit your profile and you could put a link in there. OR, here's an idea, STOP USING AVATARS THAT ARE NOTHING BUT A BLOCK OF COLOUR AT 50x50.

You fail to see the benefits of not having Phlabbit go fishing for RHP usernames by making his avatar display a password box? You fail to see the benefits of not having everyone and his mother uploading 1.5MB gifs as their avatar? You just love answering questions for every single person about how to host a goddamn picture?

And let's get your problem straight, you had a profile pic here that was hosted somewhere. You didn't have a copy of the image, don't have the url saved anywhere and now you're angry that you can't get it back?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree