Avatars, profiles pictures and clan logos.

Avatars, profiles pictures and clan logos.

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
26 Apr 07

Ooh, who put the mercury in your coffee this morning?

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
15 x 100kB is fine for a forum page? And escape doesn't stop images loading just playing.

If the images aren't on preload, it shouldn't stop the page being displayed, just the avatar in question loading and since not everyone uses a larger picture as an avatar (and not the full 100kb anyway even if it was allowed), the actual amount is more likely to be couple of 100 kb per page, not 1.5megs

I never bothered right clicking to view whatever retarded image best suited your mood.

Clearly a lot of people do, if you're that unconcerned over what avatars are, why bother having one yourself?

If I did then I'd probably visit your profile and you could put a link in there.

Why would I bother with that if the old system was in place? That objection's beside the point.

OR, here's an idea, STOP USING AVATARS THAT ARE NOTHING BUT A BLOCK OF COLOUR AT 50x50.

Again, that's not a valid objection, the level of detail on some images can drop off remarkably. Even if they're not a blob of colour at 50x50, they still might not represent the actual picture very well.

You fail to see the benefits of not having Phlabbit go fishing for RHP usernames by making his avatar display a password box?

Explain.

You fail to see the benefits of not having everyone and his mother uploading 1.5MB gifs as their avatar?

I'm sure I suggested 100kb before...

You just love answering questions for every single person about how to host a goddamn picture?

Hey, if you're that unhappy about doing it, don't.

And let's get your problem straight, you had a profile pic here that was hosted somewhere. You didn't have a copy of the image, don't have the url saved anywhere and now you're angry that you can't get it back?

No, I'm a little miffed that it was just removed. I think it was one of yours actually...

IC

Moves
26 Apr 07

😞 I can't get anything to work. 😞
Hey Russ, could you make the default avatar look cooler? 😡 (jk I have no computer skills at all. 😞 )

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
27 Apr 07

Very good feature - I'm pleased. Got a profile picture now. I'd have such a cool avatar if I could get it below 35Kb at 50x50 or at least work out how to remove one or two frames...

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
27 Apr 07

Originally posted by Ice Cold
😞 I can't get anything to work. 😞
Hey Russ, could you make the default avatar look cooler? 😡 (jk I have no computer skills at all. 😞 )
Assuming you use IE, find a picture you like on the web.

Right click it and select "save picture as". Save to your desktop.

From RHP >> My Images. Click the browse button, browse to your desktop, select the image, press OK. Then select the upload button. The image should appear as a preview in the left hand column.

-Russ

R
The Rams

Moves
28 Apr 07

now I can't even get a picture. I click upload and nothing appears to happen 😠

IC

Moves
28 Apr 07

Originally posted by Russ

From RHP >> My Images. Click the browse button, browse to your desktop, select the image, press OK. Then select the upload button. The image should appear as a preview in the left hand column.

-Russ
Thanks Russ, sorry to bother you. πŸ™‚

r

Moves
03 May 07

this site has demonstrated a keen abiltiy to upload..would you now kindly upload several thousand dollars to my bank account....

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
03 May 07

Originally posted by reinfeld
this site has demonstrated a keen abiltiy to upload..would you now kindly upload several thousand dollars to my bank account....
LOL

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
03 May 07

I really don't understand why this was all necessary to be honest. Surely a setting could have been added that simply allowed users to remove Avatars. Would that not have been simpler? The pages are generated by PHP, why not just get the server to remove links from the code when someone turns them off? It would make the page load much much faster as, not only are the images removed, but the HTML that is being loaded would be smaller also. If the main concern for this change was Page load time, then this solution would put dial up connections on a par with dsl as the browser is only loading text...

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
03 May 07

Originally posted by DeepThought
Very good feature - I'm pleased. Got a profile picture now. I'd have such a cool avatar if I could get it below 35Kb at 50x50 or at least work out how to remove one or two frames...
Download a freeware Animated Gif application. Get a trial or something, there are loads to choose from. Drag your animated gif into the application and it will automatically show the frames that are contained. Remove a couple, or lower the quality till it is the right file size. Save it and hey presto! You have an avatar... πŸ˜‰

DMM

USA

Moves
05 May 07

BOrrrriiiiiinnnnggggg😴

this really isn't that great....

d
El Gato Grande

Mississippi Delta

Moves
14 May 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
The avatar is 50x50, the forum pic is 100x150. I agree this should be included in the instructions (even though it's quite easy to find out by looking at the properties of a forum pic).
i have scaled EXACTLY per your request and i still get the wide-screen letter box - ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE WHATSOVER - i really don't like the black space !!!!! something is NOT right, eg. 100x150 pixels and a lower Kb - really a sad change. any suggestions or better instructions?

t
Xebite

in front of you

Moves
14 May 07

-Russ
Ugh, very bad copyright-violation (probably) πŸ˜‰

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
12 Jun 07

Man, for something that is supposed to make things easier, i haven't half wasted a LOT of time trying to get a properly sized Clan image! Please can we go back to the previous system, this blows!!

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
21 Jun 07

We are about to change the policy of allowing externally hosted images for avatars, profiles pictures and clan logos. Instead, all images will be uploaded to RHP and hosted from our servers.

There are a number of benefits to this, including:

* Easier for non-web savvy users to get images uploaded.
* Prevents outrageously large files being used (killin ...[text shortened]... y take 24 hours to complete, so there will be a period where images cannot be modified.

-Russ
Thread 71403