1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 09:37
    All cheating accusations will now be moderated.

If you feel someone is not playing fairly, please send feedback with any evidence (please be very precise).

-Russ
  2. You House!!!!!!
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 21:14
    Lots of people are using books and computer chess programs to play with other people. They might think this it's a good way to learn or win, but it's not fair to other people.

Me personally don't care other people using books and computer chess programs playing with me, because I think play just for fun, maybe I am playing agaist a human, or just a computer.

Happy New Year, Russ and everybody else. Thanks for this great chess Community. 🙂
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jan '05 23:13
    Originally posted by Russ
    [b]All cheating accusations will now be moderated.

If you feel someone is not playing fairly, please send feedback with any evidence (please be very precise).

-Russ[/b]
    I think that this is an unfortunate necessity given the misuse of the forums by a certain individual lately but I also think that as the Game Mod vote has been completed it is important to name at least a preliminary team (say 3 members) to start putting procedures in place.
    Can we expect some of the Game Mods to begin operating shortly?
  4. Standard membermateulose
    Look, it's a title!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 02:40
    Originally posted by Russ
    [b]All cheating accusations will now be moderated.

-Russ[/b]
    Russ, you do realize that if I ever come across a cheat, the CP won't even think twice to look? I mean seriously, the cheat police is human like anyone else, and unfortunenately, the cheat police is a close nit group of internet friends with similar social viewpoints, it's kinda fascist, and I'm sure they will protect a friend if they find out he/she cheats. So what do you recommend I do about this? I just want your opinion, nobody else awnser please. If I cannot post my views on the forums, and if the cheat police refuse to even hear a word or investigate and protect their friends within their little groupie, then what? What can I honestly do? Sit around.
  5. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 09:38
    Originally posted by mateulose
    Russ, you do realize that if I ever come across a cheat, the CP won't even think twice to look? I mean seriously, the cheat police is human like anyone else, and unfortunenately, the cheat police is a close nit group of internet friends with similar social viewpoints, it's kinda fascist, and I'm sure they will protect a friend if they find out he/she ch ...[text shortened]... rotect their friends within their little groupie, then what? What can I honestly do? Sit around.
    What cheat police? They don't even exist yet, bud.
  6. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 11:30
    Russ, you do realize that if I ever come across a cheat, the CP won't even think twice to look? I mean seriously, the cheat police is human like anyone else, and unfortunenately, the cheat police is a close nit group of internet friends with similar social viewpoints, it's kinda fascist, and I'm sure they will protect a friend if they find out he/she ch ...[text shortened]... rotect their friends within their little groupie, then what? What can I honestly do? Sit around.
    Relax mateulose, we're putting the team together now.
    ;-)
  7. Standard memberTRACKHEAD21
    Total Domination
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 12:591 edit
    Russ, you do realize that if I ever come across a cheat, the CP won't even think twice to look? I mean seriously, the cheat police is human like anyone else, and unfortunenately, the cheat police is a close nit group of internet friends ...[text shortened]... eir little groupie, then what? What can I honestly do? Sit around.
    Not true. Fisrt the team hasnt even been made yet so how are they a close nit group of internet friends? Like me, if I am able to become one I'm not internet friends with any of the other people and I wouldn't protect any "friend" who is proven to be cheating. So I recommend you sit tight and stop being so paranoid, take a break from posting in the forums and calm yourself down.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 13:06
    Oh, my Lawd! Could you devote the same energy to getting your clan up and running?
  9. Standard membermateulose
    Look, it's a title!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 19:03
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Oh, my Lawd! Could you devote the same energy to getting your clan up and running?
    😀

I'm a schizo, I can't multitask, I can only do one thing at a time! 😀
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 Jan '05 19:27
    😀

I'm a schizo, I can't multitask, I can only do one thing at a time! 😀
    Exactly! Go run your clan.
  11. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    21 Jan '05 06:40
    Originally posted by WestWood
    Lots of people are using books and computer chess programs to play with other people. They might think this it's a good way to learn or win, but it's not fair to other people.

Me personally don't care other people using books and computer chess programs playing with me, because I think play just for fun, maybe I am playing agaist a human, or just a computer.

Happy New Year, Russ and everybody else. Thanks for this great chess Community. 🙂
    Oh dear oh dear.

Read the Terms of Service. Then try and distinguish between the accepted forms of help for correspondence chess and the unacceptable.
  12. Baltimore, MD
    Moves
    21 Jan '05 16:31
    For what it's worth:

Is there an easy way to tell if someone is cheating? If you live in England, and I live in the US, how are you going to tell if I'm using a computer? I could simply set up Chessmaster or Chess tiger on another computer to help me with even just one or two moves to tip the game in my favor. Short of seeing my rating (which ain't that great) shoot up suddenly to 2500, how will you catch it?

It reminds me of the war the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) is waging on music downloaders. Sure, it's against the law, but should the American Government be using its crime fighting resources and courts to prosecute 13 year olds and their parents who download music illegaly? The average cost that people settle for before going to court is $10,000. For downloading a crappy Snoop Dog song?

Is it worth the amount of time and money (do you want to see subscription rates go up?) it would take to enforce the cheating rules when you get really down and dirty about it?
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    21 Jan '05 16:39
    Originally posted by Shane Knudsen
    For what it's worth:

Is there an easy way to tell if someone is cheating? If you live in England, and I live in the US, how are you going to tell if I'm using a computer? I could simply set up Chessmaster or Chess tiger on another computer to help me with even just one or two moves to tip the game in my favor. Short of seeing my rating (which ain ...[text shortened]... go up?) it would take to enforce the cheating rules when you get really down and dirty about it?
    Do you want to see players leave the site fed up that it has become a haven for cheats? To answer your question the way to determine if someone is cheating is usually to analyse their games with an engine and see if their moves agree with the suggested moves. If a high agreement rate is evident across many games then a case for cheating can be made.

A sudden increase in rating would be a reason for further investigation not grounds to call someone a cheat.
    Personally I find no collerlation to the RIAA battle. Russ isn't fining cheaters. He is removing them from the site so they can't destroy the community here.
  14. Internet
    Moves
    21 Jan '05 20:45
    Originally posted by Shane Knudsen
    For what it's worth:

Is there an easy way to tell if someone is cheating? If you live in England, and I live in the US, how are you going to tell if I'm using a computer? I could simply set up Chessmaster or Chess tiger on another computer to help me with even just one or two moves to tip the game in my favor. Short of seeing my rating (which ain ...[text shortened]... go up?) it would take to enforce the cheating rules when you get really down and dirty about it?
    The RIAA analogy is bad. Action against cheaters was requested by the RHP community--I am sure, that no private person has ever asked the RIAA to take action against downloaders. Also, the cheat-catchers on RHP are volunteers unlike the army of lawyers RIAA has deployed, so the subscription fee should not be affected.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '05 23:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree