1. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 00:08
    Originally posted by Russ
    In a further effort to make the forum post recommendation system more effective, all 'recommendation' data has been reset, and now forum recommendations are now limited to 10 in a 30 day period for a particular user. (This remains a subscriber only feature, to prevent abuse).

-Russ
    That's great Russ. It should cut down on the the kids who rec everything their 'heros' post.
  2. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 02:31
    In a further effort to make the forum post recommendation system more effective, all 'recommendation' data has been reset, and now forum recommendations are now limited to 10 in a 30 day period for a particular user. (This remains a subscriber only feature, to prevent abuse).

-Russ
    Sorry Russ,

But I truly disagree with this decsion (where was a vote for that?)

Recs are a reflection of a person's reputation and in a way a good indication to see how active members have been in the forums.

I have been a member for quite a few years now (and have gathered some truly deserved recs for some good input I had in the foums) and now I am reset back to the same as the person who joined today?

What's next, a rating re-set?

Sorry Russ, but I couldn't disagre more with that decision

Regards
    Boris
  3. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 03:22
    Originally posted by The Slow Pawn
    Sorry Russ,

Recs are a reflection of a person's reputation and in a way a good indication to see how active members have been in the forums.

I have been a member for quite a few years now (and have gathered some truly deserved recs for some good input I had in the foums) a ...[text shortened]... ing re-set?

Regards
    Boris
    Well, if your reputation is good enough, you'll still receive plenty of recs because lots of people will be prepared to give one of their precious 10 to you.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 03:46
    Great!

I guess someone will start moving very slowly now that the REC system has been changed 😛

This so perfect! It's a way of getting back at this person thinking he's all better then everyone.
  5. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 05:36
    Why on earth do we not just scrap the entire system? All posts should be judged on their own merit, without the need for the equivalent of someone saying 'Yeah!'...

What real purpose do recs serve?
  6. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 06:55
    Originally posted by ivangrice
    Monkey clicks on Recommended posts

Monkey see where people are talking the mosts

Monkey keeps up with latest RHP drama

Maybe then monkey finds the secret banana
  7. Hoagy's Alley
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 10:59
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Monkey clicks on Recommended posts

Monkey see where people are talking the mosts

Monkey keeps up with latest RHP drama

Maybe then monkey finds the secret banana
    oh my god, there's a secret banana? that's massive.
  8. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 13:08
    Originally posted by ivangrice
    Why on earth do we not just scrap the entire system? All posts should be judged on their own merit, without the need for the equivalent of someone saying 'Yeah!'...

The main thing they do is prevent people from making POSTS that say 'Yeah!'... I predict an increase in the amount of filler.

10 posts a month is far too low a limit, if we're going to have a limit.
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 16:412 edits
    Sorry Russ,

Recs are a reflection of a person's reputation YOUR REPUTATION SHOULDN'T GET YOU RECS, THE QUALITY OF THE RECS SHOULD and in a way a good indication to see how active members have been in the forums WHO CARES HOW ACTIVE YOU'VE BEEN TYPING YOUR OPINION.

I hav ore with that decision
    GOOD JOB RUSS, RATINGS RESET IS PERFECT

Regards
    Boris

UZLESS
    see the CAPS
  10. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 17:44

-Russ
    So what happens if you don't use all of your 10 recommendations in the 30 days?

Do they get carried over to the next period or do you lose them and get the standard 10 again?
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 18:08
    Sorry Russ,

I have been a member for quite a few years now (and have gathered some truly deserved recs for some good input I had in the foums) a ...[text shortened]... ing re-set?

Regards
    Boris
    RHP was at a crossroads.

On one side we could keep a rec system that was being ridiculously abused by a particular clan, and the Majority of the recommended posts were insults directed at the leader of that clan.

On the other side we could scrap the entire rec system.

What we have now is a compromise: 10 recs per month, Thread 52571, and reset rec counters, Thread 52592.

If you were truly worth the reputation you deemed your recomendations bestowed upon you then you should have no trouble earning many more recommendations in the future. It's time to stop living in the past Boris.
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 18:50
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    So what happens if you don't use all of your 10 recommendations in the 30 days?

Do they get carried over to the next period or do you lose them and get the standard 10 again?
    I asked this earlier in the thread but no reply from the Powers that be.

It is also not clear how the 30 day period comes into play. Is it a rolling 30 day period or just every 30 days from the reset you get 10 recs?

If it is a 30 day from the reset then you could effectively give out 20 recs in 2 days.

As Johnny Five would say we need input.
  13. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 19:35
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Non-subs have NEVER abused the rec system. [afaik]
    But what if some rec hungry fool made a new account or ten just to get more recs. After seeing the player rated 3000, I am just amazed at the lengths people will go to.

Gezza
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 21:47
    Originally posted by gezza
    But what if some rec hungry fool made a new account or ten just to get more recs. After seeing the player rated 3000, I am just amazed at the lengths people will go to.

Gezza
    Don't rec him. It's the Subs decision to rec or not to not the non-sub.

So what Dr. said still stands.
  15. Standard memberThe Slow Pawn
    HIT THE LIGHTS
    Moves
    22 Sep '06 23:07
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    RHP was at a crossroads.

On one side we could keep a rec system that was being ridiculously abused by a particular clan, and the Majority of the recommended posts were insults directed at the leader of that clan.

On the other side we could scrap the entire rec system.

What we have now is a compromise: 10 recs per month, Thread 52571 ...[text shortened]... le earning many more recommendations in the future. It's time to stop living in the past Boris.
    You've got a point but

I have earned my recs over the past few years being active in the foum and although I have never paid too much attention to them, a status symbol has been taken away here (I look like anyone without any recs now) ... The same goes for things like move-count ... With 40.000+ moves I belong to a small group of poeple who have clearly played many games here (how would those with a spinning star feel if that was suddenly re-set?) ... Lastly

Tournaments that have been won by engines remain in their hand (I don't see the title being passed to the true winner of the tournament in question)

This decision by Russ is totally random (the first one I've seen since I'm playing chess here) and I stand my ground to say that I do not agree with it.

Regards
    Boris

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree