1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 13:15
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I don't really see a reason for you to be opposed to it.

In the words of MissOleum.

"The alternate team could then be used where an individual moderator was suspect, or where there was a strong connection between the suspect and one of the moderators. In cases where the 3 didn't agree conclusively, the other team could then tackle the same case in ...[text shortened]... t feel like it would lessen the peer pressure that someone might feel from a Sepico setting.
    I don't think MissO knows much about how it works either. If an individual mod was accused, perhaps Russ would contact all the other members of the team and have a side forum for the case, I don't know.

Like I already said, Tebb and Gate are experianced and the only way to get two good teams is having them separated to lead each team, and that's not a good idea. The team needs to work together.

I don't know how Russ will deal with it next time a Game mod is accused, but I sure hope it's better than the last time.

P-
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 15:23
    I feel like this thread is veering off again into tangent-town. Hopefully it will be closed and Russ will decide how this thing is gonna work out, I'm looking forward to seeing the game mods back in action.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 15:37
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I feel like this thread is veering off again into tangent-town. Hopefully it will be closed and Russ will decide how this thing is gonna work out, I'm looking forward to seeing the game mods back in action.
    LOL...That is funny, it veered way off many, many pages ago!! 😉

I agree it will be nice to see The Game Mods back, no matter how they decide to do it, and I would assume Russ, will probably go the way, Gate thinks it should be done. I would take bets on that too 😉 !!
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 15:41
    I agree that its time to close this thread and to choose new mods.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 15:561 edit
    Originally posted by Korch
    I agree that its time to close this thread and to choose new mods.
    Actually, choose the new mods that are going to work with the old mods 😉...Not that it is a bad thing. I can see why the mods wouldn't want two teams. It would be another hornets nest if one team decided innocent, and the other Guilty !!!
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 16:18
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Actually, choose the new mods that are going to work with the old mods 😉...Not that it is a bad thing. I can see why the mods wouldn't want two teams. It would be another hornets nest if one team decided innocent, and the other Guilty !!!
    not any more of a problem than half the team deciding guilty and other half deciding not guilty.
  7. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 07:071 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Following a PM I have received I would like to correct a misimpression caused by my post.

I must stress I have no doubts what so ever about any of the players that were listed and I have actually played a few other than Korch.

My reason for mentioning Korch only is that, in my opinion, the mods should be selected from the top 50 players on this sit ...[text shortened]... a game mod. It would be preferable if their OTB grade was equal or better than their grade here.
    I agree with your idea. How is it that some players' actual ratings are 200 to 400 points lower than their performance here!? I think everyone on the mod team should be verified as to who they are and what their OTB rating is.

And I want to add this note. I do not do it with intention to slur maurader, but to make a point. The rumor is going around that maurader only has a uscf rating of 1400 or so. Maybe this is a false rumor, I don't know, but if RHP takes a stand to verify the identity of any person who wants to be on the mod team then there would be more protection to all concerned.
  8. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 08:062 edits
    Originally posted by Arrakis
    I agree with your idea. How is it that some players' actual ratings are 200 to 400 points lower than their performance here!? I think everyone on the mod team should be verified as to who they are and what their OTB rating is.

And I want to add this note. I do not do it with intention to slur maurader, but to make a point. The rumor is going around that y person who wants to be on the mod team then there would be more protection to all concerned.
    Answer to question How is it that some players' actual ratings are 200 to 400 points lower than their performance here!? may be:

Because OTB and CC are two different things

Also even if we agree to statement "OTB and CC is the same", we should agree that person who have stopped to play OTB some time ago and then improved to CC, should also improve his OTB abilities and his OTB rating does not display his real strength any more.

So OTB rating cant be used to determine ability for CC
  9. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 09:04

And I want to add this note. I do not do it with intention to slur maurader, but to make a point. The rumor is going around that ...[text shortened]... y person who wants to be on the mod team then there would be more protection to all concerned.
    It is easily possible for an OTB rating to be very different to a rating here on RHP and for that rating to be different to other internet chess ratings and for those ratings to be different to "proper" CC ratings. How? Well, to be in any way similar they would have to be calibrated against each other in some way. There is no connection between any of these ratings, they are all independent. From a statistical point of view, I would be very surprised if all these ratings came out even approximately the same!
  10. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 09:07
    Originally posted by Korch
    Answer to question How is it that some players' actual ratings are 200 to 400 points lower than their performance here!? may be:

[b]Because OTB and CC are two different things

Also even if we agree to statement "OTB and CC is the same", we should agree that person who have stopped to play OTB some time ago and then improved to CC, should also ...[text shortened]... his real strength any more.

So OTB rating cant be used to determine ability for CC[/b]
    While it's true that OTB and CC chess are not the same thing, I completely disagree with your evaluation that they are not relevant. They are very closely related. Your OTB rating is 2169, not even a master, yet your rating here is 2356, nearly 200 points above your ability to play in tournaments.

While 200 points might squeak by I don't want to see a 1400 OTB player who has a 2200+ rating here be on the mod team. And I still haven't heard from maurader if that's just a rumor or it's true?
  11. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 09:491 edit
    While it's true that [b]OTB and CC chess are not the same thing, I completely disagree with your evaluation that they are not relevant. They are very closely related. Your OTB rating is 2169, not even a master, yet your rating here is 2356, nearly 200 points above your ability to play in tournaments.

While 200 points might squeak by I don't wan ...[text shortened]... the mod team. And I still haven't heard from maurader if that's just a rumor or it's true?[/b]
    About myself.
    As I have pointed out in this thread (which you ignored) my ELO does not disclose my OTB strenght as most of my ELO tournaments I have been played several years ago. More adequate view is given by my national rating 2274 as I have been played in local OTB tournaments much more often. Latvian rating system has the same princips as ELO so I have reasons to think that my real OTB strength is at least about 2300 ELO.
  12. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 09:501 edit
    While it's true that [b]OTB and CC chess are not the same thing, I completely disagree with your evaluation that they are not relevant. They are very closely related. Your OTB rating is 2169, not even a master, yet your rating here is 2356, nearly 200 points above your ability to play in tournaments.

While 200 points might squeak by I don't wan ...[text shortened]... the mod team. And I still haven't heard from maurader if that's just a rumor or it's true?[/b]
    About your disagreeing with my evaluation that OTB and CC are not relevant I would like to quote some texts:

"Good OTB players have good physical condition, strong nerves, an extraordinary memory, and the ability to concentrate well and to adapt quickly to changing situations on the board. Good CC players are extremely patient, hardworking and can analyze well. There is a tradeoff between intuition and analytical care. The less intuition a CC player has, the more he must work. Of course, both abilities are needed for any kind of chess, but to different extents."

"Unlike OTB players who rely on their mental and physical abilities only, a CC player can resort to all kinds of support.He may sit in front of a board, moving pieces forth and back [....]He may search the literature to find the most recent opening novelty, or he may think that consulting his huge game database is quicker for this purpose."

"CC players can sleep on their decisions before they commit to them by putting post cards into the letter box. This is particularly important for players who don't have infallible intuitions, but must instead systematically experiment with various plans before reaching a profound insight."

"CC players also can take time if the position changes its character. They can slowly get used to it, whereas an OTB player must be able to accomodate to such changes within seconds."

"Modern OTB chess puts strong emphasis on the psychologically best move. This is the one causing the most trouble for the opponent in the situation at hand. Throwing in a piece, complicating the position at almost any price, if the opponent is in time trouble - all this may yield the point even if the 'truth' in the position is different."

From http://www.dfki.de/~busemann/corr-chess.html
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 12:19
    Thread closed, and the vote will be created within 24 hours.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree