Game moderation reloaded

Game moderation reloaded

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
I agree 100% with this.

I have just been away for 10 days so have missed all the excitement.

There are however a number of important issues to consider when determining who should be put in the game mod team.

(1) the members must have integrity. By that I mean both Admin and the site members must be 100% confident that they are dealing with peop wrong! I know I could not identify engine use with certainty unless it hit me in the face.
And which members could satisfy these conditions? How to determine it?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
09 Mar 08

Originally posted by Korch
And which members could satisfy these conditions? How to determine it?
Exactly. The only way to determine it is for Admin to verify the identity of the player and determine his true OTB rating from external published sources, preferably a FIDE rating list rather than a national list although in some circumstances a national list may be appropriate.

Incidently without casting doubts on any of the other names I have seen put forward here yours is the only one that I am both 99% certain is a genuine player of a strength comparable with your rating here and whose rating is sufficiently high to manage this daunting task.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 Mar 08

Exactly. The only way to determine it is for Admin to verify the identity of the player and determine his true OTB rating from external published sources, preferably a FIDE rating list rather than a national list although in some circumstances a national list may be appropriate.

Incidently without casting doubts on any of the other names I have seen p ...[text shortened]... arable with your rating here and whose rating is sufficiently high to manage this daunting task.
OTB rating won`t evidence about personal qualities like honesty. Also results in OTB and CC may differ as its not actually the same.

About myself - if you have read this thread then you would see that some persons have doubts about my honesty. About other players - I`m 100% sure that also David Tebb is strong OTB player which strength was comparable with his RHP rating, until he started to play faster, like Quirine.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
09 Mar 08

OTB rating won`t evidence about personal qualities like honesty. Also results in OTB and CC may differ as its not actually the same.

About myself - if you have read this thread then you would see that some persons have doubts about my honesty. About other players - I`m 100% sure that also David Tebb is strong OTB player which strength was comparable with his RHP rating, until he started to play faster, like Quirine.
Perhaps it isn't you, just the fact that you are a lawyer! Some people don't trust lawyers 😉 !!!

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 Mar 08

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Perhaps it isn't you, just the fact that you are a lawyer! Some people don't trust lawyers 😉 !!!
I dont trust them either 😛

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
09 Mar 08

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
Xanthos last moved 301 days ago, and is just as ignorant with his replies at times . . . the rating would be similar too 😛
Couldn't be Xanthos. Xanthos wouldn't be seen dead using a smilie.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
09 Mar 08

True but if an OTB rating is high then it lends credibility to a high rating here.

You are of course correct that there can be a difference of maybe about 200-300 points between an OTB rating and correspondence rating but it stretches credibility too far when the difference is 600 points.

As far as being reasonably certain about you compared to some others - its simple really, I have played you and during the game I got a reasonably good feeling about your genuiness and ability. Of course things change and you could have started using an engine after we had played but your rating went to where I expected it to go so I don't feel you did. I have never played Cludi, David Tebb, Northern Lad, Gatecrasher, etc. so I have as yet not formed an opinion. Of course my feeling could be completely wrong.

N

The sky

Moves
09 Mar 08

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
Couldn't be Xanthos. Xanthos wouldn't be seen dead using a smilie.
Not that I think it's Xanthos, but: http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=16603&page=2#post_190495 (and that's not the only one)

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
09 Mar 08

Originally posted by Nordlys
Not that I think it's Xanthos, but: http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=16603&page=2#post_190495 (and that's not the only one)
Fairy Nuff.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
09 Mar 08

True but if an OTB rating is high then it lends credibility to a high rating here.

You are of course correct that there can be a difference of maybe about 200-300 points between an OTB rating and correspondence rating but it stretches credibility too far when the difference is 600 points.

As far as being reasonably certain about you compared to som ...[text shortened]... r, etc. so I have as yet not formed an opinion. Of course my feeling could be completely wrong.
Following a PM I have received I would like to correct a misimpression caused by my post.

I must stress I have no doubts what so ever about any of the players that were listed and I have actually played a few other than Korch.

My reason for mentioning Korch only is that, in my opinion, the mods should be selected from the top 50 players on this site (preferably the top 20) and the game mods should be required to reveal their real name and proof of OTB grade to Admin.

Any mod whose OTB grade is more than 200 points below their grade here should not be considered as a game mod. It would be preferable if their OTB grade was equal or better than their grade here.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
09 Mar 08

Following a PM I have received I would like to correct a misimpression caused by my post.

I must stress I have no doubts what so ever about any of the players that were listed and I have actually played a few other than Korch.

My reason for mentioning Korch only is that, in my opinion, the mods should be selected from the top 50 players on this sit ...[text shortened]... a game mod. It would be preferable if their OTB grade was equal or better than their grade here.
I doubt you'll find that combination... my OTB rating is 1282p USCF and has been 1500 here at one time. OTB and correspondance chess are two different things, plus RHP ratings and USCF ratings are developed from 2 different pools of numbers.

They really don't compare, like drag racing vs. Nascar or sprinting vs. a marathon.

P-

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
10 Mar 08

My reason for mentioning Korch only is that, in my opinion, the mods should be selected from the top 50 players on this sit ...[text shortened]... a game mod. It would be preferable if their OTB grade was equal or better than their grade here.
I can think of ten further requirements.

Game Mods must

1) have their pictures posted on RHP Faces (preferably holding up their passports/identity documents and FIDE accreditation)
2) be in possession of at least a Bachelourate in Applied Statistics (first class).
3) be between the ages of 35 and 55 (trustworthy you know, but not yet going senile).
4) attend all London Meet Ups (so regular plebs can get them drunk and embarrass them OTB).
5) possess a valid driver's licence (can't have anyone that's reliant on... ahem... public transport).
6) possess testicles (preferably both) with a sperm count of at least a candidate master.
7) be fond of children and animals (...but not too fond).
8) be vegetarian (preferably vegan)
9) say Om regularly for World Peace.
10) save Whales.

We just can't be too careful. After all, anyone giving up several hours of their life each week must have an ulterior motive.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Mar 08
1 edit

I also think that "Game Load" has a big influence on your rating. Speaking from experience, and having had over 600 games on the go at a time.
I don't think that all the Mods have to be Experts or Masters, although you certainly do need them. I am assuming with all the games that have to be gone over for analysis, someone under the expert rating who has the time to put in, would be a valuable asset to the team.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
10 Mar 08

Game Mods must

1) have their pictures posted on RHP Faces (preferably holding up their passports/identity documents and FIDE accreditation)
2) be in possession of at least a Bachelourate in Applied Statistics (first class).
3) be between the ages of 35 and 55 (trustworthy you know, but not yet going seni ...[text shortened]... er all, anyone giving up several hours of their life each week must have an ulterior motive.
LOL...CUTE...Did he say and a sense of humor 😀

N

The sky

Moves
10 Mar 08

Game Mods must

3) be between the ages of 35 and 55 (trustworthy you know, but not yet going seni ...[text shortened]... er all, anyone giving up several hours of their life each week must have an ulterior motive.
Hey, 6) is clearly discriminatory! In fact we should have a quota system to ensure that we don't end up with a team consisting entirely of white heterosexual males. But I fully approve of 10), of course.