1. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 03:18
    I'd be interested. I think I've shown I have some loyalty to this site, and I'm a forum moderator. You could also look up my USCF rating or ICC rating.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 03:19
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    I don't know how games are moderated or what the moderation process is. There have to be some minimum standards of computer software, yes? For example, if moderators check on games by comparing %'s of matching moves against certain software programs, they can't include the opening moves because those are already established from previously published sourc ...[text shortened]... up everyone's time with this post, and I am crossing my fingers for the best.
    If anybody has all of the stuff that you've mentioned, has studied it thoroughly, and can use it well...well, that would be beyond impressive.
  3. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    I don't have any problems with who we already have. Possibly add some extra help if they feel they could use some.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I'd be interested. I think I've shown I have some loyalty to this site, and I'm a forum moderator. You could also look up my USCF rating or ICC rating.
    Plus I've already thrown your name in, ha. 🙂

But yeah, I can attest that !~Tony~! is one of the most highly qualified members on the site for this team.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 03:20
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I don't have any problems with who we already have. Possibly add some extra help if they feel they could use some.
    We currently don't have anybody...
  6. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 03:312 edits
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    We currently don't have anybody...
    Yes, I am aware of that, I guess it was a poor choice of words for those who can't figure out what I meant.

What I mean is, I didn't have a problem with those who were already doing the moderating up until the shut down. And those still able to do so with the approval of the Administrators, I was just saying that it might be a good idea to provide more help because of the growth of the site...oh never mind, you probably still won't be able to understand.
  7. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 03:37
    If anybody has all of the stuff that you've mentioned, has studied it thoroughly, and can use it well...well, that would be beyond impressive.
    I don't think one would need to have studied them all thoroughly, but they would all be useful as a reference check - at least for openings and endings - if that's how the moderation system works (and I don't know that's how it does)

I also have the 5 volume set of ECO and MCO 14, but they're a bit out of date so I didn't mention them. 🙂
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 03:37
    I don't know how games are moderated or what the moderation process is. There have to be some minimum standards of computer software, yes? For example, if moderators check on games by comparing %'s of matching moves against certain software programs, they can't include the opening moves because those are already established from previously published sourc ...[text shortened]... up everyone's time with this post, and I am crossing my fingers for the best.
    Data is set lines, and for them to be followed both parties need the same data, or good thinking. Data and book was always thrown out, regardless if you are a game mod or just doing your own games.

Some books are bigger, but if the other player doesn't follow the line you end up in middle games that have never been charted.

If a user matches an engine often, chances are they may be using the engine. Chances are small that a 30 move opening is going to look like any user is cheating, you can't stay 30 moves in a book if the other guy is playing their own game. Even if both follow that book, and a chess engine user has that book, it's not going to follow for every game.

Users have claimed their engine match is because of a Huge database, no data covers every position in every game. Get as much data as you like and throw in a position, it's not often enough to make a difference if you happen to get 25 moves into data with another player.

P-
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 03:421 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Data is set lines, and for them to be followed both parties need the same data, or good thinking. Data and book was always thrown out, regardless if you are a game mod or just doing your own games.

Some books are bigger, but if the other player doesn't follow the line you end up in middle games that have never been charted.

If a user matches an engi ough to make a difference if you happen to get 25 moves into data with another player.

P-
    I completely agree with you. I never use a database, so I am sure I am out of book in any opening between moves 6-10 at the very most, then I am assuming we are both on our own, as there is no book, database or other games to follow, or if they are, you would have to look long and hard for them !!!
  10. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 04:07
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

If a user matches an engi ...[text shortened]... ough to make a difference if you happen to get 25 moves into data with another player.

P-
    I understand everything you're saying, and as long as the moderators have the proper tools and patience enough to get a large enough set of data (games) to get an appropriate level of confidence when they make their decision to ban someone, that seems to be the best solution. I just wanted to voice a concern that a well-meaning player who (as an extreme example) only has iPhone access through the McDonald's Wi-Fi hotspot for an hour a day may not be best equipped in terms of software/time/etc to do a proper job. I don't want to expose the moderation process details to any more transparency, so I don't want to even know what all goes into the actual process, but it just seemed (i don't want to use the wrong word here to upset anyone) odd? strange? not stringent enough? to offer a moderation job simply to someone who gets the most votes in a popularity contest, but I'm guessing that there is some type of check before/after voting that the appointee has all the tools necessary. Ok, I guess you know what I mean, and I just wanted to say, and I support whatever the RHP Powers decide.
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 04:33
    I understand everything you're saying, and as long as the moderators have the proper tools and patience enough to get a large enough set of data (games) to get an appropriate level of confidence when they make their decision to ban someone, that seems to be the best solution. I just wanted to voice a concern that a well-meaning player who (as an extreme e ...[text shortened]... know what I mean, and I just wanted to say, and I support whatever the RHP Powers decide.
    Perhaps Russ is first screening for who wants to help, get a 'feel' with a vote, and use old game mod banter and info for a final decision.

He might have broke down the original team, but the info is still there for him to review. For every user thrown off, there are another....

Lots of people from RHP have been checked by the old system with no or little decision. I believe that will and should have a lot to do with the final decision.

[p-]P-[/p-]
  12. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 05:08
    I definitely think that they should show their other ratings, as I just did. I supplied an ICC and a PC rating - I think nearly everybody who plays chess here should have a rating from some other source, whether it be online or OTB. And I'd be very surprised if any player rated over 2000+ here didn't have an OTB rating - it just wouldn't make sense. I, ...[text shortened]... , that will all change next year when I'm at OSU with plenty of places for otb near me. 🙂
    Very good!
    I've never met a player above 2000 that did not have an established record!

So yeah, I would like to support your idea that a player here should be able to give his/her established record from another source. In one of my complaints where I mentioned a 1500 rated player took over the game and all his moves matched fritz - that guy has an OTB rating as a class C player. How do I know? I talked with him and he informed me.

I dont think it's unreasonable for a player to give references to the admins or RHP management. And it doesn't mean that the person is a cheater, but it's just more data for the mod team to look at.

The more data the team has the better their judgement can be.
    Remember, the idea behind a mod team is to protect the subscribing members.

Isn't that what we're all talking about? We play here to have fun and want somebody to give us a certain amount of protection against computer assisted players.
  13. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 05:38
    Originally posted by Russ
    If you would like to participate in a reformed game moderation team, please post your name below.

All names will go to a community vote and the result will be used to help select the new team.

Past game moderation team members are not exempt from nominating themselves for the new team.

Thanks,

-Russ
    I`d like to participate.
  14. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 06:50
    I would like to participate.
  15. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 07:143 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree