1. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 12:37
    Originally posted by Mekk
    After reading blog of some Scandinavian player mentioned in the other thread, I am ever more convinced that game mods should analyse anonymised games. Plus one should avoid cases when somebody is analysing the game of his direct competitor in some important tournament or event, this is obvious conflict of interest....
    Although what you describe is ideal, unless game mods are drawn from players who are not active at RHP, it is not really practical.

More important is that there is consensus for any decision among the game mod team, and that any analysis used as evidence is conducted in such a manner that it avoids subjectivity.

Under conditions of peer review, any one member's covert agenda is unlikely to succeed.
  2. Joined
    09 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 12:44
    Originally posted by mikekelly666
    Right now I could care less who is the game mod. I'm more worried about the integerity of the game mod system. What is to prevent a honest player having their name tarnished and be banned because a game mod mistakely called them a cheater. To me that is greater wrong than letting a cheater play at the site.

Maybe the people who want to be game mod ...[text shortened]... eel sorry for the game mods if the lynch mob composed of people wrongly accused comes for them.
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything Mike says above.

In Medieval England suspected witches were placed in a barrel lined with nails. It was then rolled down a hill. If she survived she was a witch and subsequently killed. If she died she was innocent.

Schrödinger’s cat?
  3. Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 12:55
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Possibly. Everybody should be extremely, extremely...EXTREMELY careful when they're deciding who should be made a game mod.

I wasn't here for the first time the moderation team was formed, but I do recall that Trackhead21 was a popular choice for the original mod team. For those of you who aren't shocked by that, understand that he was later banned...fo ...[text shortened]... n excellent job of moderating:

Northern Lad
    David Tebb
    Mephisto2
    Gatecrasher
    !~Tony~!
    Sounds like a great idea to appoint two people who have already proved to:

- not believe in the principle "benefit of the doubt" and carrying out their own justice and

-proving not to be patient enough to wait for the final verdict and just pillory another member
  4. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 13:28
    I'm up for it.

Not that I have experience of catching cheaters, but have 30 years chess experience and am about 2000+ ELO.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 13:37
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Possibly. Everybody should be extremely, extremely...EXTREMELY careful when they're deciding who should be made a game mod.

I wasn't here for the first time the moderation team was formed, but I do recall that Trackhead21 was a popular choice for the original mod team. For those of you who aren't shocked by that, understand that he was later banned...fo ...[text shortened]... n excellent job of moderating:

Northern Lad
    David Tebb
    Mephisto2
    Gatecrasher
    !~Tony~!
    I'm not sure Mephisto2 is active enough here to want to be a Game Mod.

The other choices seem all good, if they want to serve. I'd have no problem with Korch as well.

I had a problem with Arrakis being a Game Mod before and still do. From his posts he comes across as too dogmatic, stubborn and biased.

I personally still think the accused should get some type of summary of the evidence against them and be allowed to respond to the Game Mods and/or Site Admins before they were banned. Maybe I'm just used to the "Due Process" thing.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 13:38
    Originally posted by KJCavalier
    Just to throw a hat in the ring.

No1 should possibly be considered. I do remember him putting a vast amount of effort into making a multitude of cases against several players. In fact made a massive stink over it.

I have never heard his name mentioned as a cheater, certainly wants to be rid of them, and has the ability to search, and research them out.

Like or hate him, he does seem to know what hes doing in this aspect.
    Thanks, KJ but I think I'd be too much of a lightning rod and give too many people a chance to attack the Game Mod system.
  7. Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 13:43
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm not sure Mephisto2 is active enough here to want to be a Game Mod.

The other choices seem all good, if they want to serve. I'd have no problem with Korch as well.

I had a problem with Arrakis being a Game Mod before and still do. From his posts he comes across as too dogmatic, stubborn and biased.

I persona ...[text shortened]... and/or Site Admins before they were banned. Maybe I'm just used to the "Due Process" thing.
    Do you really think someone who didn´t give his opponent the benefit of the doubt, not waiting for a verdict and showed by resigning his games on the first move against him that he followed a certain prejudice and put him on pillary in public being a good mod member???
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 13:49
    Originally posted by dooser2004
    Do you really think someone who didn´t give his opponent the benefit of the doubt, not waiting for a verdict and showed by resigning his games on the first move against him that he followed a certain prejudice and put him on pillary in public being a good mod member???
    I think that if someone has done their own analysis and come to the conclusion that another player is an engine user, he would be justified in resigning a game against said engine user. We're not here to play engines.
  9. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 13:52
    I think that anyone who has made cheating accusations in open forum or been part of this sorry affair should be automatically disqualified from being part of the game mod team.
  10. Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 13:56
    I think that if someone has done their own analysis and come to the conclusion that another player is an engine user, he would be justified in resigning a game against said engine user. We're not here to play engines.
    You are right about not being here to play engines but since it appears to be a fact that the mod team judged him not guilty there seems to be enough doubts about it...

And is this not what the gamemod team is for to ensure noone has to take out his own investigation and judge another member of this site.

Of course is up to every individual whom they play but if carried out like this it is like throwing dirt at his name.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:05
    You are right about not being here to play engines but since it appears to be a fact that the mod team judged him not guilty there seems to be enough doubts about it...

And is this not what the gamemod team is for to ensure noone has to take out his own investigation and judge another member of this site.

Of course is up to every individual whom they play but if carried out like this it is like throwing dirt at his name.
    Every player who reports another player as a cheater would, I assume, have done his own analysis. That is how the system is set up; investigations are commenced because of user complaints. And just as obviously, the complaining player has already judged another member of the site. So what exactly is your complaint?

"It appears to be a fact that the mod team judged him not guilty" - I highly doubt it. If that is so, the 2007 Championship would have been awarded to him.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:05
    Originally posted by Kepler
    I think that anyone who has made cheating accusations in open forum or been part of this sorry affair should be automatically disqualified from being part of the game mod team.
    Why exactly?
  13. Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:12
    Every player who reports another player as a cheater would, I assume, have done his own analysis. That is how the system is set up; investigations are commenced because of user complaints. And just as obviously, the complaining player has already judged another member of the site. So what exactly is your complaint?

"It appears to be a fact t ...[text shortened]... lty" - I highly doubt it. If that is so, the 2007 Championship would have been awarded to him.
    Recently, a reply by a site administrator was posted (and deleted) which specifically explained that the said accused player was in fact not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

This being said for you there is no difference between reporting someone you suspect of rape to report to the police and publicly stating that he is raping and putting a mark on him.

If this would be o.k. why not just name players you suspect in the forums... I mean not just in this action speaks at least as loud as words do...
  14. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:14
    "It appears to be a fact that the mod team judged him not guilty" - I highly doubt it. If that is so, the 2007 Championship would have been awarded to him.
    I have no evidence on contrary, but, after all, why was the game mod team disbanded, if that is so? 😛

By the way, I support candidates, for the new mod team, who are willing to lower the requirements of engine spot. If the criteria presented in Cludi blog is, by fact, what was used, many engine users would pass it without much problem. 😠
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    06 Mar '08 14:171 edit
    Recently, a reply by a site administrator was posted (and deleted) which specifically explained that the said accused player was in fact not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

This being said for you there is no difference between reporting someone you suspect of rape to report to the police and publicly stating that he is raping and putting a mark on h ...[text shortened]... u suspect in the forums... I mean not just in this action speaks at least as loud as words do...
    If there are Game Mods in place and functioning effectively, then there is no need for public accusations.

If they are not, then public accusations are the only effective way of making the Site Admins act. That is a simple truth.

EDIT: I still don't believe that a Site Admin's posts can be deleted by a Forum Mod. If it was deleted, he deleted it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree