1. Joined
    04 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 23:12
    Originally posted by venda
    It seems to me that every time "timeout" is mentioned in the forums it provokes a series of "for and against" opinions.
    For what it's worth , my opinion is what does it matter?
    You lose a few chess games -start some more
    You lose a few rating points - build it back up again-in essence it's just a number and doesn't really mean anything.
    There's far more im ...[text shortened]... hink timeout suspension may mean automatic timeouts(i.e. the 2 day thing in tournaments)
    Spot on, indeed!
    Rating chasers should really look elsewhere for a cheep points as this situation is by far exceeding "everyday" circumstances. Speaking this while being many miles away, where the weather conditions are much more timid, so this is just one more unbiased opinion.
    Good luck to all of you guys who have to deal with those horrible conditions out there!
  2. Joined
    18 Jun '09
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 12:29
    That's not right and a little negligable. The Media seems to cover the US but Cuba and other southern islands have been destroyed too.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 13:582 edits
    We are extending the suspension by a further 24 hours.

We will then estimate the number of impacted users yet to return to their normal moving pattern. If the number is relatively small, we will consider booking vacation for these remaining users then remove the suspension.

To everyone else, thanks for your understanding.

Note : This post originally said the extension was for 48 hours, but then modified to 24 shortly after.
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 14:31
    Originally posted by nonamesleftatall
    That's not right and a little negligable. The Media seems to cover the US but Cuba and other southern islands have been destroyed too.
    But how many players on the site are from Cuba? When there was an earthquake/tsunami in Japan there was no issue, because there are next to no players on the site who play from there. Same thing applies. It's not favouritism, it's just being practical..
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 15:42
    Originally posted by Westside Mobster
    Sorry Russ. I do not agree with this. Time management is part of a chess game. If I could not pay for my Internet connection, electricity bill, etc. (been there, done that) would you reinstate my timed out games? I think not. For whatever reason, if you do not make a move in the allotted time, you lose. If you truly want to win a game on this chess site, you will find a way to make a move. Just my opinion.
    During a freaking hurricane, with power out to the entire city/region?

Looking to take advantage, I suspect.

Have you no empathy, man?

Oh, wait... sorry I asked.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '12 15:431 edit
    Originally posted by Russ
    We have had requests for timeout protection for users who will inevitably be suffering from power outages over the next few days.

The majority of active members on this site are from the US, and we believe it is only reasonable to suspend timeouts for 48 hours. We will make a judgement to end this suspension then, but it should be assumed that timeouts will be available again at approx 12:00 GMT on the first of Novemeber.
    Bravo, Russ! Kudos on a good decision.

(Edit: I live 2000 miles away from the affected region, so this doesn't affect me at all, but I'm sure the many people affected do thank you.)
  7. Joined
    26 Sep '11
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 00:181 edit
    Since 01 Nov 12 GMT has passed can you advise next projected date?
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 01:131 edit
    Originally posted by glenamadda
    Since 01 Nov 12 GMT has passed can you advise next projected date?
    Read Russ's last post, just a few lines above your own.

There are reasons both for and against these system-wide timeout suspensions, but really folks, if you had 60 games in progress and copped a "wipeout by timeout" your rating wouldn't just be reduced, it'd be wrecked! I'm all for suspensions, at least they don't add to the problems of the people who already have problems.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 04:00
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Read Russ's last post, just a few lines above your own.

There are reasons both for and against these system-wide timeout suspensions, but really folks, if you had 60 games in progress and copped a "wipeout by timeout" your rating wouldn't just be reduced, it'd be wrecked! I'm all for suspensions, at least they don't add to the problems of the people who already have problems.
    Yes, I agree! I'd like to add well done Russ too!
    Kelly
  10. Standard membermarc56
    writer and editor
    Forlì
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 11:10
    Originally posted by Russ
    We are extending the suspension by a further 24 hours.

We will then estimate the number of impacted users yet to return to their normal moving pattern. If the number is relatively small, we will consider booking vacation for these remaining users then remove the suspension.

To everyone else, thanks for your understanding.

Note : This post originally said the extension was for 48 hours, but then modified to 24 shortly after.
    Well done on my opinion,

marcello
  11. Joined
    05 Oct '09
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 12:49
    Well, I have two games against an opponent, and he has run out of timebank. I can see that he has moved in other games just 3 hours ago, so he obviously must have power and internet. It's nice that he gets some extra time to consider his moves in his games against me 🙂
  12. Joined
    01 Feb '04
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 13:21
    Its the 2nd of November update on time outs please.
  13. Joined
    26 Sep '11
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 13:57
    Since 02 Nov 12 GMT (ie 24 hour extension) has passed can you advise next projected date?
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 14:43
    I'll be posting back in approx .1 hour.
  15. Joined
    29 Apr '11
    Moves
    02 Nov '12 14:47
    This is becoming extremely annoying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree