1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 12:21
    We have had requests for timeout protection for users who will inevitably be suffering from power outages over the next few days.

The majority of active members on this site are from the US, and we believe it is only reasonable to suspend timeouts for 48 hours. We will make a judgement to end this suspension then, but it should be assumed that timeouts will be available again at approx 12:00 GMT on the first of Novemeber.
  2. Joined
    11 May '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 17:24
    Does this includ areas that are not effected by storm ?
  3. Joined
    11 May '10
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 18:13
    Does this only affect USA players or the whole world ? Do all other countries games that are no where near , also get this ?
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 23:28
    Originally posted by tuhu6
    Does this only affect USA players or the whole world ? Do all other countries games that are no where near , also get this ?
    Yes, I've asked a few different people and it's across the site...the possible loss of power 'potentially' affects too many players and games, so best just suspend timeouts altogether.
  5. Joined
    11 May '10
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 03:05
    Thats fair nice to here .🙂
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '11
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 09:53
    I guess it's understandable; but those of us who had the foresight to go on vacation for Sandy's wrath are going to lose our hours for nothing. I think it's the reason you guys set up vacation hours in the first place.
  7. Standard memberWestside Mobster
    The King of Detroit
    The Jungle
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 09:53
    Originally posted by Russ
    We have had requests for timeout protection for users who will inevitably be suffering from power outages over the next few days.

The majority of active members on this site are from the US, and we believe it is only reasonable to suspend timeouts for 48 hours. We will make a judgement to end this suspension then, but it should be assumed that timeouts will be available again at approx 12:00 GMT on the first of Novemeber.
    Sorry Russ. I do not agree with this. Time management is part of a chess game. If I could not pay for my Internet connection, electricity bill, etc. (been there, done that) would you reinstate my timed out games? I think not. For whatever reason, if you do not make a move in the allotted time, you lose. If you truly want to win a game on this chess site, you will find a way to make a move. Just my opinion.
  8. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 10:31

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 10:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 10:54
    Originally posted by Oleander29
    I guess it's understandable; but those of us who had the foresight to go on vacation for Sandy's wrath are going to lose our hours for nothing. I think it's the reason you guys set up vacation hours in the first place.
    Originally posted by Westside Mobster
    Sorry Russ. I do not agree with this. Time management is part of a chess game. If ...[text shortened]... want to win a game on this chess site, you will find a way to make a move. Just my opinion.
    Granted you both have good points, I can 'usually' find a web connection no matter where I am and can utilise whatever device 'works', but maybe I'm just lucky with a fair few options available..however, mass power failures tend to affect nigh on everything and I think he's ( Russ ) is just trying to defend everyone's interests here...think of the many non subs that can't throw a flag out or those that have already allotted their holiday flag time...I certainly allotted all my flag time months ago.
    Yes, time is very much a part of the game but we've been lucky here with the weather, so I could just pick off the skulls of those affected if I so wished...the crux, if so so many literally cannot play then suspending the time default penalty for a couple of days is only fair to everyone ?
  11. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 14:061 edit
    Originally posted by Russ

For the record, and not that it affects me since I have power at work and can play chess on iPhone... but my house won't have power until the 2nd... and there WILL be people in places hit a lot worse who may not have power until after the 10th if not longer.

Just say'n.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 14:17
    It seems to me that every time "timeout" is mentioned in the forums it provokes a series of "for and against" opinions.
    For what it's worth , my opinion is what does it matter?
    You lose a few chess games -start some more
    You lose a few rating points - build it back up again-in essence it's just a number and doesn't really mean anything.
    There's far more important things in the world than a website which is supposed to be for fun.
    Also I think timeout suspension may mean automatic timeouts(i.e. the 2 day thing in tournaments)
  13. Reading, Berkshire
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 14:46
    it looks like that it does, only seems fair enough though. Our prayer are with you all
  14. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 16:07
    Fair point, send feedback, we will reimburse vacation days if this is your concern. (On a case by case basis, on request.)
  15. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    31 Oct '12 16:09
    Just for clarification, this suspension does not stop the clock on timebank, just prevents timeouts taking place, much like the vacation flag.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree