1. omnipresent
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 14:08
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I understand that some significant players are about to be expelled for cheating (I will not name them as I am unsure whether it is 100% proven yet). I wondered though what happens when someone has won tournaments has been found cheating? will the records be amended to show the runner up as the winner? Although after thinking about this it would probably o ...[text shortened]... that would cost money but I for one would DEFINATELY contribute cash to prosecute these people.
    nice idea. I'll send you an address to mail your cash to...
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    04 Sep '05 16:56
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Go ahead and find me "a lot of players" who were bumbling around at a low rating and, all of a sudden, won 47 out of 48 games. If you do find them, I suggest you report them to the Game Mods immediately as they are cheats.

And why couldn't a player use an engine to play 200 games at a time?? It's quicker than doing your own thinking and analysis.
    I'm one of those players thats been bumbling around at about 900 to 1100 so if my rating suddenly jumps way up watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL 🙂
    If I can put 5 wins in a row together I'm happy. I think that if people are cheating its because they really are losers. I take my losses like a man. I was looking at some of those graphs & its amazing to me. I guess because I'm an example of a low level player. I want to win but I will never cheat to do it. I think the best thing to do is don't cheat.
    Manny
  3. SubscriberTalem16
    Chessaholics!!
    Sunny California
    Moves
    05 Sep '05 02:05
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Stop digging.
    Look who is saying that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Sep '05 04:59
    Originally posted by Talem16
    Look who is saying that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.
    You continue to claim IM is innocent ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Give it up. He cheated, now he's gone and he isn't coming back.
  5. INDIA
    Moves
    05 Sep '05 16:30
    Russ, Awesome work indeed! This site is consistently on the move with its initiatives and this move infact gives scope for hard working players who can think of their ratings, games.. more seriously as they now play against humans and not against engines!
  6. SubscriberTalem16
    Chessaholics!!
    Sunny California
    Moves
    05 Sep '05 19:14
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You continue to claim IM is innocent ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Give it up. He cheated, now he's gone and he isn't coming back.
    so u have that evidence ?? lol.
  7. Standard memberDOlivier2004
    A Lost Bobby
    The Bermuda Triangle
    Moves
    05 Sep '05 21:261 edit
    I'll put in my 2p and say thay I approve of this move by RHP. With any such contentious decision, there will always be people who will not like the policy or the methods for whatever reasons, but I think the Game Mods systems will flush out the engine users and sustain the long-term viability of the website (though in the short-term, some users will leave).

I've followed the various threads about procedures, how to discover who is an engine user, vigourous debates about the pros and cons of showing the evidence and how to ban someone and still give the person due process. I think that Russ and the volunteers who run this site and the Game Mod process (without pay, I think) deserve a lot of credit for what they've done with the limited resources that they have, and the flak they've received in doing the necessary thing. It seems to me that they've taken great care they got all their ducks in a row before banning suspected engine users.

I'm sure subscribers will still push you to do more, just like the marauder has, and several others. This is a good thing: I'd rather see users on a site push for continuous improvement of an already good website rather than not make any comments, not care, and leave the site.

Keep up the good work!
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Sep '05 04:56
    Originally posted by Talem16
    so u have that evidence ?? lol.
    I haven't seen the evidence used by the Game Mods but I have done some checking myself and I agree with their decision.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Sep '05 22:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. London
    Moves
    06 Sep '05 22:33
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    Strong players with experience of OTB chess and playing against computers can nearly always tell the difference. It's almost a stylistic thing. Engines will every now and then come up with moves a human being would hardly consider. Some times they are very strong. An example of this is my game against Ironman (810608 - unfinshed though I'm objectively ...[text shortened]... ittle, so objectively winning, but I don't suppose I'll get the chance to finish that one now.
    Thanks for the insight.

And many thanks to the Game Mod for the effort.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree